cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto pay for winning bid???

I wanted to add a coin to my purchase but ebay auto billed me for some reason before I could. After 20 years I dont know why they did that, this way if I buy three of the sellers other coins after winning my bid, I would be billed triple shipping, once for each, and each would ship separately. It dose 'not give the seller an opportunity to combine shipping. A net loss for sellers since $12 shipping for two coins would be insane. This will be our last purchase on ebay, and we will suspend buying on ebay until auto pay is stopped. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Auto pay for winning bid???

@dsalesco 

FWIW You need to check your own preferences.  See the link provided in message #5 https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements  You are requiring the exact same thing you dislike from YOUR buyers.  These are the combined shipping "killers".  It also limits the buyers payment choices.  No Google Pay, Apple Pay, Spendable Funds, gift cards, PayPal credit, PayPal Pay in 4, etc.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

eBay had been "experimenting" with requiring pre-authorization of payment for Best Offers for over a year and a half (started prior to Halloween 2021), adding more and more users into the test group required to do so (sellers can opt their listings out of it; buyers cannot opt out once they are assigned). Too many users were making offers and then not paying when it was accepted, and too many of those were scammers who would try to get the seller to text or email them to get their number/email address to send fake payment messages to.

They have now officially made it permanent and all buyers are now required to pre-authorize payment for Best Offers they make on listings for sellers who have not opted out of the program. They started trying it out on auction bids (with a smaller group of buyers that is growing) in Spring or early Summer 2023 and that is still experimental. They will also start experimenting with requiring pre-authorization or payment for accepting offers from sellers soon.

You can try to find a seller who opted his/her listings out of the pre-authorization requirement for what you are trying to do (bid and offer are two separate opt-outs). Unless s/he says s/he has in the item description (e.g. in language about a discount for combined shipping--the main reason a seller would opt out) you'd need to actually try to bid/offer and if it goes through without you having to add or confirm (with links to edit) your shipping address and payment method then s/he has opted out (or if a bid then you haven't been put into the group of buyers required to pre-authorize to bid).

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@woodland_gnome wrote:

. Unless s/he says s/he has in the item description (e.g. in language about a discount for combined shipping--the main reason a seller would opt out) 

Stating buyer to receive a combined shipping discount does not disclose the % or dollar amount and does ebay guarantee buyer to receive a agreed upon refund ? 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Seller has immediate payment after an auction I am assuming? Or eBay experimentations....

I am not getting auto payments from sellers yet when I win auctions.

Seller can always do a refund on "combined shipping". I do it for my buyers on International Buyers without them even asking for a refund. 

Its not the end of the world...

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

It dose 'not give the seller an opportunity to combine shipping.

@dsalesco 

You would be correct.  When you are required to provided a payment source in order to bid, this was the result of that "new improved checkout" or whatever they are pitching this to buyers as this week.  Be advised that it has been taking TWO things for it to work this way:  

The seller must retain their selling preferences set to the default to YES that eBay provided all sellers AND eBay forcing the buyer ID to comply in order to proceed.    A seller can turn these off, buyers cannot. 

All buyer IDs are forcibly enrolled in order to make an offer.  eBay is continuing to force more and more buyer IDs  into the program in order to bid.  Please note that eBay said that there will now be a 3 day delay in auto billing buyers for auctions, but some are still reporting otherwise.  

Sellers can turn it off here if they even know these exist: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Click submit.

Buyers can only elect not to participate, or find sellers who have turned these off.  Buyers only get to know if a seller requires it when that screen is presented that makes you to comply before proceeding. 

Be advised as well that eBay has been changing the way offers are processed as well.  It appears different from one day to the next over the last couple of weeks.  You can read about it here:  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Received-offers-turning-into-sent-offers/m-p/34183295#M2328738

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Offers-being-accepted-then-not-showing-up-as-sold-creating-hav...

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-payment-process-offers-auctions/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Testing-Changes-To-Payment-Process-For-Offers-amp-Auction... (first)

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

ebay does what's best for ebay, not for it's buyers or sellers.  That said, I don't see autopay going away anytime soon.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@tinsoldierunderground wrote:

ebay does what's best for ebay, not for it's buyers or sellers.  That said, I don't see autopay going away anytime soon.

Ebay simply waves bye bye to the those buyers & sellers that are finding a welcome elsewhere ? 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@ittybitnot

True, The answer for me is simple, not buy on ebay anymore. The employees might not care but look at it this way. Customers are like teeth, if you ignore them, they go away. or like "the one" in the matrix, if enough anomalies continue (us) it will bring down the whole system.  LOL

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@dsalesco 

FWIW You need to check your own preferences.  See the link provided in message #5 https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements  You are requiring the exact same thing you dislike from YOUR buyers.  These are the combined shipping "killers".  It also limits the buyers payment choices.  No Google Pay, Apple Pay, Spendable Funds, gift cards, PayPal credit, PayPal Pay in 4, etc.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for pointing that out. They must have been added since I never selected them. Im sure many more sellers are in same boat. That being said, your right, I probably lost customers too. Appreciate the info

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

They must have been added since I never selected them. 

@dsalesco 

Yes, it was your "secret" gift from eBay.  All sellers got them.  They just didn't work until eBay forced buyer IDs into the program that required them to comply in order to proceed. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Secret gift LOLOLOLOLOLOL funny so funny 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply