cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticate sent me a counterfeit bag & I can’t open return request

Ebay authenticate sent me a counterfeit Gucci bag and when I tried to open a return request it won’t let me. In addition, bag was listed as new without tags however the long crossbody strap was cut and shortened. I’m not even going to open the request as counterfeit because they will fight me but clearly a bag listed as new that has had the strap cut to half its length isn’t new. How do I get my money back? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

One of the major issues with all the eBay authentication services is there's no process for appeal. Authenticated sales are final. There's absolutely no recognition on eBay's part that errors can happen. So your best chance of getting a refund is a credit card dispute.

While the intent of authentication was good, eBay is in desperate need of fine-tuning the process. 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Is the bag counterfeit or simply a 'cut strap'?? Big difference. 

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

@justagirl12,

A cut strap does not make the bag a counterfeit.  It does make it not as described for being used not new.  However, you would need to get an identical one of it without a cut strap to show the length difference.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

An aside: not sure something without tags can be considered “new.”  

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@justagirl12,

A cut strap does not make the bag a counterfeit.  It does make it not as described for being used not new.  However, you would need to get an identical one of it without a cut strap to show the length difference.

Doesn't matter. Authenticated items are ineligible for not as described returns. They can only be returned if the seller has a return policy. Otherwise eBay considers it an as-is sale.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

The strap was cut from its original 23” drop length to about 12”. It is also counterfeit. My transactions with authenticate have been stellar up until today. Maybe they have hired new authentications to keep up with demand or maybe they are so busy they are just pushing bags through. I hope ebay authenticate isn’t going to become the new poshmark. 

I contacted the seller before opening a return request (I figured out how to open one). The seller was kind and honest enough to admit he may have made a mistake and he issued a refund immediately which I’m extremely grateful for. BUT…… EBAY DID CLOSE THE RETURN AFTER I RECEIVED AN EMAIL SAYING THEY WOULD LOOK INTO IT. This has me fuming. The email said I could appeal the decision so it’s clear the return request was automatically declined. 

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

It’s counterfeit AND the strap was cut (altered to half its length). The buckle part that adjusts the length was even gone. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Yes, I know a cut strap doesn’t equal not authentic. This bag has a cut strap AND it’s not authentic. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

The seller listed it as new without tags.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Well that’s going to be a problem for eBay then. They have to stand by their money back guarantee.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

There is an appeal process…at least that’s what the email I received said. 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@justagirl12 wrote:

There is an appeal process…at least that’s what the email I received said. 

I contacted the seller before opening a return request (I figured out how to open one). The seller was kind and honest enough to admit he may have made a mistake and "he issued a refund immediately" which I’m extremely grateful

-------------------------------------------------

what is there to appeal       ^^^^^^^^^

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

If you check the OP’s internet presence it paints a picture of a statistical anomalous eBay presence completely out of synch with reality. It’s extremely unlikely the OP could have encountered this many issues without having a nefarious motivation. There is something very very wrong going on here. And to top it off, the account is private. I hope eBay takes a moment to investigate her account. 

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Nothing now. What I meant was…the seller issued a refund right after I requested a return so the refund from the seller and the email from eBay that the case was closed crossed paths. 

BUT….ITS DESPICABLE THAT THIS HAPPENED WITH AN AUTHENTICITY GUARANTEE ITEM. IT MEANS SOMEBODY DOESN’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE WHEN PEOPLE ARE SPENDING THIS KIND OF MONEY!!!! THEIR TRUST FACTOR JUST WENT WAY DOWN. 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply