cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction ended for me but others still outbid me.

Hi,

Auction ended for me but others still outbid me. I had bid on the item. No other bids. It said ended and only my two bids. The first bid and my maximum bid were the only two bids. Other people were able to outbid me and I lost. I had bid on the same sellers other item 5 minutes before and won that auction. CAn anyone explain why this has happened. Ebay basically just fobbed me off when I contacted them, said it was a RARE GLITCH and the two agents I spoke to just ended the chat for no reason. I took a screenshot but cant seem to upload it.

Thanks

HANKS.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Auction ended for me but others still outbid me.

Sorry that is not the best answer.

Message 46 of 61
latest reply

@mas4317 wrote:

Please can you tell me how the screenshot is before the auction ended? Where do you see that? It says 14:42. Can you please elaborate on that maybe it will explain why I dont understand why.

@mas4317 

It I was obvious that the screenshot had to be prior to the auction ending because your screenshot didn’t include all of the bids that were placed.

That is why you were repeatedly asked for the ‘Item Number’ … so that we could see the auction on eBay’s website.

Despite people questioning the accuracy of eBay’s auctions … I have never found one to malfunction in the 18 years I’ve been reading and answering posts in the Community.  [It likely would make the international news if it ever were to malfunction.]

Message 47 of 61
latest reply

If your computer clock is correct, then your computer simply didn't refresh get the latest information from the ebay server during the last couple minutes when the other 6 bids were happening. 

Message 48 of 61
latest reply

And use an atomic clock, not an eBay, or other server clock, not your pc clock, because every second does matter.

Time.is 12:37pm

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 49 of 61
latest reply

"""It I was obvious that the screenshot had to be prior to the auction ending because your screenshot didn’t include all of the bids that were placed.""

It is obvious the auction had ended as it says in big red letters  "ENDED".  So are you saying "ENDED" doesnt mean it is actually ended. You dont make sense.

"""I have never found one to malfunction in the 18 years""" Do you work for Ebay because if you dont then how would you know if there was a "malfunction" or not. They are not going to admit it. OBVIOUSLY there is a malfunction as it says ENDED in big red letters when in fact, by your explanation , it was not ended. That is an actual definition of a malfunction........A failure to function properly...........  As for the item number I could not find it to give it to you.

Message 50 of 61
latest reply

krazzykats_0-1706215139228.png

My new computer is 1.1 seconds behind, what's yours?

KrazzyKats

Message 51 of 61
latest reply

This was another of my favorite atomic clock links.

National Institute of Standards and Technology | NIST (time.gov)

KrazzyKats

Message 52 of 61
latest reply

I have bid on many items and my PC doesnt need to refresh for me to see the bids going up. I see them going up all the time, in real time. If my PC needs to refresh to get updates on the auction why would it say ended as it would need to refresh to see that it has ended but the time didnt refresh.

Message 53 of 61
latest reply

Because your PC clock is not accurate.  And eBay's clock is not accurate.  I've bid on items, and had the system give me an error, or pause long enough to lose the auction, it happens.  And I've used an atomic clock many times, it happens.

KrazzyKats

Message 54 of 61
latest reply

So what you are saying is it is actually pointless to bid as the time is out anyway no matter what. . Thanks. I think this is the end of my days of buying anything on Ebay.

Thanks for all the answers. At least I now know it is pointless.

Message 55 of 61
latest reply

@mas4317 wrote:

How has the auction ended and only showing my 2 bids.

https://postimg.cc/ctKGdP6p

And your posted picture is not the end of the auction screen.  You need to refresh this screen below, so the banner turns pink saying it got away, or something like that.  Then you will see the total bid history and not just 2 bids and the words "Ended".  Seconds matter, as I said.

krazzykats_1-1706215722076.png

KrazzyKats

Message 56 of 61
latest reply

These machines are not perfect, and seconds matter in auctions.  Auctions do have to end, so seconds to the very last one matters.  Seriously, I was trying to help you.  Get an atomic clock app, find out the delay on your device, and bid at the very last second.  Practice with some low-value items until you get the hang of it.  Sniping something at the last second can be a lot of fun if you know how to do it....don't give up, join them instead....😀

KrazzyKats

Message 57 of 61
latest reply

I keep an atomic clock in one window, and the auction I want in the other....Shrink them down so I can see both counting down.   😁

KrazzyKats

Message 58 of 61
latest reply

@mas4317 wrote:

I have bid on many items and my PC doesnt need to refresh for me to see the bids going up.

It most certainly does need to refresh to see new information like bids going up.

"Ended" was generated on your end because time had elapsed.  But your computer obviously didn't have current information because "you are the high bidder" is only displayed while the auction is active.

Message 59 of 61
latest reply

@mas4317 wrote:

"""It I was obvious that the screenshot had to be prior to the auction ending because your screenshot didn’t include all of the bids that were placed.""

It is obvious the auction had ended as it says in big red letters  "ENDED".  So are you saying "ENDED" doesnt mean it is actually ended. You dont make sense.

"""I have never found one to malfunction in the 18 years""" Do you work for Ebay because if you dont then how would you know if there was a "malfunction" or not. They are not going to admit it. OBVIOUSLY there is a malfunction as it says ENDED in big red letters when in fact, by your explanation , it was not ended. That is an actual definition of a malfunction........A failure to function properly...........  As for the item number I could not find it to give it to you.

@mas4317 

I cannot respond to all your questions from my cellphone.

I do NOT work for eBay.

The Item Number is in the listing:  right-hand side, just above the Description.

The reason I could say that eBay’s system didn’t malfunction (to my knowledge) is that I stayed with the OPs until they figured out their mistake.  It was the OP that always made the mistake.  [I’m sorry you probably won’t like hearing that.]

BTW, I’m perfectly willing to call eBay out when they make mistakes … and they do … but the bidding system is pretty darn accurate.

And please feel free to shop wherever you wish.  Nobody volunteering to answer questions cares about that.

Message 60 of 61
latest reply