cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Descriptions

Anybody else notice that since sellers are using AI descriptions that the basics are missing ?  Keep looking at vintage glass items that have a bunch of flowery verbiage but lack sizes and exact conditions.  Annoying at the very least since you have to message to get details that should be posted.  Personally makes me less likely to purchase from them.  Any thoughts ?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: AI Descriptions

I don't use AI myself so how do you know it's an AI description and not the sellers lack of information in the listing? 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Ai descriptions are obvious. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I've never seen one. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@muckin_0,

"Keep looking at vintage glass items that have a bunch of flowery verbiage but lack sizes and exact conditions. Annoying at the very least since you have to message to get details that should be posted".

I seriously doubt you are seeing AI descriptions, for vintage items. There are a lot of sellers listing vintage items they really do not know much about and they tend not to know what information a buyer would want to know about those items. Sometimes the info is in the photos, but not written down. Most of those sellers give very short descriptions, but some may write a lot of not really pertinent info, thinking it will help with a sale.  A good rule of thumb when buying vintage items is to look at a seller's feedback profile to see if they have sold similar items before. Especially, if the item you want to buy is an expensive and/or a very collectible one.

We see a lot of complaints about clothing that may give Lg, Med or Sm. sizes,  but with no actual measurements, even from sellers who sell a lot of clothing items,  which drives clothing buyers nuts. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Easy, because I also sell vintage items and tried AI- just same flowery rehash of listing title.  Needless to say never did that again.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

An eBay podcast I listen to had an interesting theory that using the AI description would boost you in the algorithm because eBay is trying to push the feature. So they write their own description with the important details at the top and include the AI description after that.

I sell new beauty products so there's definitely no reason to add flowery text to my listings and I'm not as worried about the algorithm (I just promote if I have a lot of competition and if only have a few other competitors I don't promote and I list lower than them). However if I was trying to sell jewelry in a sea of other people maybe I would consider adding the AI description just in case it does help the algorithm. I would also make sure I included all the important details (like the length of the necklace etc).

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@muckin_0 wrote:

Easy, because I also sell vintage items and tried AI- just same flowery rehash of listing title.  Needless to say never did that again.

@muckin_0,

You did write AI Descriptions as your title, not AI titles on listings, which does make a difference in how we replied.  As far as I am concerned AI may be fine for some things, but I have always wondered if its knowledge base can tell the difference between Knowledge and Wisdom.

Ex: Knowledge, is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Wisdom, is  knowing not to put one in a fruit cocktail. 

If I ever decide to use AI, I may ask it if a tomato can be used in a fruit cocktail.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I too am much less likely to purchase from a seller using AI for the description but more so because it indicates to me that the seller is lazy and isn't particular about details. But I want a seller that is proactive and cares enough about the product they are selling as this attention to detail can translate into the quality of the item and how well it is packaged for shipping as well.

It's been discussed here before as well, most of us would never dream of using AI descriptions. Speaking for myself it's just asking for trouble, nothing will sell "faster" because of that. However there are many sellers who also use generic "copy and paste" description boxes where they spout off their own store and shipping and return policies as if it overrides ebay's or as if ebay doesn't already tell us that, so laziness isn't reserved only for the sellers using AI descriptions. Then there are the sellers who plop two or three fotos of the item up and are done, thou these sellers aren't necessarily lazy it still might behoove them to use many, many pictures.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I seriously doubt you are seeing AI descriptions, for vintage items.

@mudshark61369 

I don't doubt it a bit.  As a buyer of vintage items myself it is quite obvious and annoying to have to read through such drivel only to find size, material, condition is not included in the bot generated nonsense.   

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

In the coin section there are a slew of new sellers selling "error" coins and in the ai description it just says it's a must have and that the error makes it so unique and a great addition to any collection. 90% aren't even errors. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@ittybitnot,

I used to buy vintage items almost exclusively on ebay, but not so much in the last few years, since I'm trying to downsize. I have bought some vintage items here and there in the last year, but have yet to find a possible AI generated listing title/description. 

Did you happen to read the OP's reply where they amended their issue to be about the item Titles, and my reply to that change?  The flowery wording in a "description" may indicate the use of AI, but lack of other pertinent info in descriptions, has always been a problem on this site.  I don't think I have run across an AI generated listing/description yet. But if there is an option for its use by ebay, I would imagine some of the info should be in the Item specifics. 

IMO, Artificial Intelligence should be considered an Oxymoron, since there's no info about who or how it was created, since any idiot could be inputting info into those data banks.

However, that could just be my Overbearingly Modest, Unbiased Opinion. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@mudshark61369 

Here is an older thread, that is quite interesting.  The OP is regarding a generated description for an oil lamp MANTLE....you know, that "mesh bag" looking thing that covers the flame for lack of a better term.  

I will still look for one that had a AI generated description for absolutely "nothing" which was better.  In the meantime, this one is short and sweet.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/AI-generated-titles-and-descriptions/m-p/34061076#M2297109

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@ittybitnot,

Geez, the only thing the AI description left out was, "that when rubbed and a secret incantation spoken, a genie would pop out". The rest of that flowery description sounds like it was culled from a `70s copy of Better H&G.  Too bad the actual listing wasn't posted. I would loved to have seen it.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

In the coin section there are a slew of new sellers selling "error" coins and in the ai description it just says it's a must have and that the error makes it so unique and a great addition to any collection. 90% aren't even errors. 

There are buyers who specifically look for such things as it gives them a reason to open a case for "Item Not as described," meaning they get free shipping should they wish to return it... That said I don't normally buy items I don't intend to keep, that whole process to me is such a waste of time but not all people think like I do. Because, generally speaking "errors" on newly minted coins?

In most cases does not make them more valuable, not to my understanding, and I'm no coin expert but before bidding / buying any such thing I would certainly do due diligence and research. And that said I would most certainly not want to confer or infer in my description that an "error" makes something more valuable unless I were to be absolutely certain of that.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply