cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A rant about a seller

I found this seller from E--y originally. The seller was selling a cool custom that's compatible with lego. I bought it, because the prices were reasonable and it had custom pieces that can't be found in any lego sets. So I got interested in this seller and visited their site for more products, then found their eBay. I like shopping on eBay, so I got excited.

On eBay, the seller had many more listings and I noticed something that wasn't on her E--y shop. This seller used the word "lego" on the listing and I was like what?? I was dumbfounded because, let's just say my order from E--y included that minifigure and it was a clear knock off. I think the seller's taking the advantage of the fact that it's hardly distinguishable.

I also found a seller from China was selling that exact knock off for a cheap price, but she was charging people a real lego price here with "lego" brand on the title. I carefully inspected the description and she wrote like "there are some unbranded pieces with authentic lego pieces to keep the price low" ... really? lol

I read through the seller's rating and some people were able to tell that it's a fake. 

I was actually feeling sad about the seller on E--y, because the seller was selling this nice custom product for a good price, but made less than 50 sales total, but now I understand how the seller was making the living. 

(end of my rant)

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: A rant about a seller

@chanyuc wrote:

Sorry. I'm not good at writing and so you misunderstood the case.

Let's just forget that I even bought from that seller, so the case is simple.

I brought it up here, because (I believe) it may have broken eBay's rule and now it's creating eBay victims.

Why is it creating a victim? Because the seller is selling a bootleg lego for a brand new lego price.

I want to report, because I also shop lego on eBay and most sellers are very upfront and honest about brand labels at least. It kind of upsets me when this person is being unclear and lying to its customers.

Since you didn't buy the item on eBay there is no case that you could bring against the seller here.  Of course, anyone that purchases the item from the seller here on eBay would be protected by the MBG.  That having been said, it is the people that own the rights to the LEGO® brand name that would have recourse against the seller both on eBay and anywhere else.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

From your message here, I can't tell if you bought this item and it turned out to be a fake.

You are, of course, aware that eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers covers the issue if/when a buyer receives an item that's not as described, as in "fake".

If a buyer receives an item and does not realize it's not the real thing, there is not much anyone (including eBay) can do to help him.  eBay never sees or evaluates the products sold on its site.  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Nope. I didn't buy it on eBay. I bought it on a different market platform and I was aware of buying a fake on there, because she was transparent about it on the other platform. She's dishonest on eBay listings though, cause she could charge people for a real lego price.

This person is clearly selling a bootleg, and I could prove it to eBay.

I could also prove that this seller is the same seller on the other platform without a mistake. 

I'm just feeling bad for all these hundreds of buyers paying a real lego price for a (partially) bootleg (as she claims) without realizing that it's a bootleg.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

When your title is "A rant about a seller", we expect the message to be regarding an eBay seller since you posted on an eBay forum.

Your need to rant is understandable, but do you go into WalMart and complain about some problem you had with Target?  

Will repeat my previous response:  Any eBay buyer who receives an item that is not as described, as in "advertised as Lego, but it wasn't", that buyer has access to the Resolution Center and the MoneyBack Guarantee.  I would assume that other selling sites have similar options for making things right.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

All listings have a 'report item' button on them

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

In response to questions, the OP states, "Nope, I didn't buy it on eBay".

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I know, but I came here to learn about the rule on eBay too. So the seller wrote something like this in the description "there are some unbranded pieces with authentic lego pieces to keep the price low" and slapped lego on the title, label, wherever she could, so when you search for "lego minifigure", it pops up. That's what kind of triggered me. Cause it's just 100% fake.

I shop a lot on eBay. It's all about trust. I trust sellers and they sell me what they wrote and most sellers are honest about labeling. Bootlegs are always marked 'unbranded' and authentics are marked under their brand name. Now this person seems to be abusing this and having a "partial" lego (which I don't buy btw) mixed with unbranded and put Lego on the title. Is this allowed on eBay?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

"Is this allowed on eBay?"

Any time any eBay buyer receives any item that is in any way not as described, he can open an item not as described case in the Resolution Center.

eBay has no way to issue a pre-emptive strike on an item before it's listed and sold.  eBay doesn't see any item ever.  eBay is simply a venue for sellers to sell and buyers to buy.

ALL eBay buyers have access to the Money Back Guarantee which is quite liberal.  

Again, your title was somewhat misleading.  Shouldn't it have said "A Rant About A Seller ELSEWHERE"? 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Well since I didn't buy it on eBay, would they take my case seriously? Cause it'd just become an accusation to their eyes. Also I have all of the shipping labels, receipts etc, if eBay asks for evidence, am I allowed to submit these? or would that violate sharing personal data?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I'm afraid that I'm not quite understanding why you bring it up here on the eBay boards if you didn't buy it on eBay.  If the item is compatible with Lego® but is a custom made piece, I'm not sure why you would ever think it was an authentic piece produced by that company or under license from them.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

"Is this allowed on eBay?"

Any time any eBay buyer receives any item that is in any way not as described, he can open an item not as described case in the Resolution Center.

eBay has no way to issue a pre-emptive strike on an item before it's listed and sold.  eBay doesn't see any item ever.  eBay is simply a venue for sellers to sell and buyers to buy.

ALL eBay buyers have access to the Money Back Guarantee which is quite liberal.  

Again, your title was somewhat misleading.  Shouldn't it have said "A Rant About A Seller ELSEWHERE"? 

No, the rant is not about the buying experience elsewhere. Buyer knew what they were getting.

As explained, the rant is about the selling practices on eBay. No requirement to have made a purchase to be allowed to rant 😁

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I don't know what to write as a title, and since I don't fully know about the rules on eBay. Otherwise, I'd have wrote it better.

I know eBay buyers are protected and I certainly would contact the victims and inform them, so they could get their money back.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I brought it up here, because (I believe) it may have broken eBay's rule and now it's creating eBay victims.

Why is it creating a victim? Because the seller is selling a bootleg lego for a brand new lego price.

I want to report, because I also shop lego on eBay and most sellers are very upfront and honest about brand labels at least. It kind of upsets me when this person is being unclear and lying to its customers.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@chanyuc wrote:

Since you didn't buy the item on eBay there is no case that you could bring against the seller here.  Of course, anyone that purchases the item from the seller here on eBay would be protected by the MBG.  That having been said, it is the people that own the rights to the LEGO® brand name that would have recourse against the seller both on eBay and anywhere else.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

On every eBay listing, on the right-hand side, just above the Item Number, you will see the words "Report Item."   Just click and follow the prompts to report the item.  Do not expect a reply from eBay.  And, frankly, do not expect any action from eBay, although if Lego is a VeRO member, the listing might be investigated.

You could also contact Lego to tell the company how you believe its brand name is being misused.  Go here, and use "Contact" under the "Help" menu:

https://www.lego.com/en-us

Beyond that, there's nothing you can do that I can think of, unless you have endless time and money to spend on this.

=

Message 15 of 15
latest reply