cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall we introduce ourselves?

It might be fun to introduce ourselves. I am not so much a button "collector" (which implies a certain degree of organization I have yet to attain) as I am a gatherer, accumulator, hoarder, keeper of buttons. I love these little bits of history and art. My favorites include BIG buttons and I have a boxful that are each over 2" in diameter, of various materials.
Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: Shall we introduce ourselves?

Hello, I have been collecting buttons for 20 or more years, more actively since I retired in 2007 and have more free time. I have sold buttons on ebay on and off for about a year now.

Like many of my fellow button collectors, my interest in buttons began while I was a child. My great aunt had a big round tin full of what seemed like zillions of buttons and I loved to look at them for hours! There were so many varieties, so many colors and textures of buttons in that tin!

That same aunt taught me how to use a needle and thread to sew doll clothes when I was 6 or 7 years old. She was quite old, born around 1895, and she was a skilled seamstress. She showed me how to make lace with a tatting shuttle, but I never got the hang of that. She made some beautiful items, and her talent inspired me.

My best buttons that I will never sell are from the mid-1800s, especially picture buttons, and twinkles. I also love moonglows, rhinestones, and celluloid wafers.

I started selling some of my buttons when I decided I had way more than I needed (ha-ha) -- and I had planned to just keep my favorites. But the funny thing was that the more buttons I sold, the more I accumulated! They seemed to show up from out of the blue at times, and I keep finding ones I had forgotten about, so it actually seems like I have more now, not less! But I love them all, and truly, the more the merrier.

Message 76 of 87
latest reply

Hi My name is Vicky, I collect all types of buttons.  I especially enjoy buying tins and searching out the gems.  I am a watercolor artist but also make jewelry from vintage buttons and gems.  Glad to do my part to keep the group going. 

Message 77 of 87
latest reply

sunshine8mn9
Enthusiast

Hi.  I am Gilda from Grinnell, Iowa.  I love Maxcine234's descriptions of being a "collector, hoarder, keeper, etc of buttons."  That's me!  Right now I love diminutive buttons.  I go through different phases depending of what I happen to see that hits my fancy.  I signed up for this group ages ago and forgot about it.  I hope it doesn't get cancelled.  I look forward to learning.

Message 78 of 87
latest reply

CC I'm still here...when I signed in I noticed it had MODERATOR 0? have you checked on that?

Message 79 of 87
latest reply

wine-spodiodi
Enthusiast

angleland, it sounds like you have an amazing collection! I got interested in buttons as a child, too, when my Nana would let me paw through her big button collection, and she'd tell me about them all. She would give me a few of them to take home and I treasured them.

A few years ago I inherited her collection, and got interested again, in trying to figure out what they all were, and then I started collecting!

I especially love black glass, metal picture buttons, and celluloid buttons, but I have so many different kinds and just pick up ones that look old/interesting. I have sold a few (I have a website where I sell vintage/antique sewing notions - and sometimes list buttons for sale there too).

The jewel of my collection is a huge jet button - it's over 3 inches in diameter and faceted like a jewel. It was Nana's. And yes, it's real, organic jet - not glass. It is the one button I wouldn't entertain selling. I think it was meant for a cape.

Vicky, I'm like you, I joined the group then forgot all about it. I'll try to remember to stop by regularly now! Your handmade button jewelry sounds intriguing.

Gilda, do you collect any particular kind of diminutives? They interest me, too - such artistry at such a small size!

Glad to meet you all! Would love to hear more about your buttons. Here's to lots of happy button collecting!

cheers ~

Denise

Message 80 of 87
latest reply

Good Evening All...

My name is Connie and I definately collect buttons.  I started gathering back in 95 and found "Buttonbytes" onlne. That is when I got serious about what I had been hoarding.  I now only collect buttons I like...don't care much for competing, altho I have learned so much from those that do.  I go to the Florida State Show and belong to the Manatee Button Club.  I also am a Studio Button Maker, and I make China Painted Porcelain Buttons.  Glad to see the group on the move again.

Message 81 of 87
latest reply

Hi everyone. My name is Susan and I live in Greenville, SC. My Grandmother got me interested in buttons.

Message 82 of 87
latest reply

Welcome! Our group has been kind of quiet but with all the new folks introducing themselves, we should be able to hang on. If you ask 100 button collectors how they got started, many will report playing with a close relative's button box or tin. I recall sorting my Grandmother's buttons although I wasn't lucky enough to end up owning them. Lucky you! -Carol0

Message 83 of 87
latest reply

Your art sounds fascinating!  When you craft jewelry with buttons, please don't "hurt" them with glue or sniipping off of shanks, just saying....-Carol-

Message 84 of 87
latest reply

Hi Peg: I checked in because someone told me eBay was going to close this group. Huh? Since when don't they tell the moderator they are closing a group? I can do certain things regular members can't so I guess I'm still it. I can delete spam, etc. The -0- indicates there are -0- items for the moderator to take care of.

Message 85 of 87
latest reply

supercoolsupercute
Enthusiast

Hello everybody!!!  My name is Wendy and I LOVE BUTTONS!!! I'm totally a nerd for them.  It all started back in 1982 when I decided that I should 'plant' my Mother's button collection (her great great grandmother's on downs) I figured I was seeding future cute tiny things. Needless to say they didn't grow.  But my collection has.  I really like the teeny tiny buttons, especially if they are painted.  But I have thousands.  Thanks for keeping the group alive

Message 86 of 87
latest reply

zeitgyst
Enthusiast

Hi, I'm Joyce I came to buttons through art and an estate sale! I purchased almost the entire collection of vintage buttons from an elderly seamstress-a huge box of reverse carved Ice Block lucite buttons from France included..I was hooked!

I get lost in my buttons-seriously-I need to find a way to sort out and downsize what I have.Selling some on ebay and etsy has helped but I have many more to go..I sometimes use my multiples to make clothing or jewelry or accessorys...And no, I don't harm the buttons...(:). I am currently facinated by button dolls..

Message 87 of 87
latest reply