cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Wing Work Boots vs. Georgia Boot WB's

Enthusiast

I am trying to decide which pair of men's steel toe work boots to purchase for a Christmas gift: a $230 pair of Red Wings, or a $124 pair of Georga Boots that seems to have more features for a far-less cost. Has anyone had experience wearing both brands, and if so, which did you prefer and why? Is either brand more comfortable than the other? Thanx.
45 REPLIES
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
I used to go on trips with my ex on boot buying trips and he swore by redwing he also taught me, even for my own work shoes that weight was importantt and in your case steel toes obviusly make them heavier but maybe one offers protection without excessive weight to make lugging them around on the end of legs less tiresome - also make sure the linings , if any, do not keep the outside leather from "breathing" -- make sure they have flexibility. That's about all I can offer for some means of comparison.

in reply to
I you are refering to the brand "Georgia" or "Georgia Giants" I do have a bit of experiance on that brand. I normally don't like to praise one company's product over another's unless there is a definite problem that I have found. This is the exception to the rule.
Over the years I have bought, worn and literally destroyed dozens of pairs of work boots. In that time I have seen some pretty good ones and some really crappy ones too!
In answer to your question, I bought a pair of Georgia's about three years ago. Just this last month I finally had to replace them witha new pair. I work in the glass business as well as do construction and auto repair on the side. I promise you will not find anyone harder on a pair of boots than me! The Georgia's absolutley are the best boot for the buck! The uppers never failed as well as the stiching around the sole which is the usually the first thing to fail. the only reason I bought a new pair was because the tread wore out due to walking on broken glass all the time. Best of all THEY'RE REALLY COMFY!!!
Good luck!

P.S.
Atwoods always has them but stillwater milling Co. usually has the better price. If these store are in your area!!

www.soonerbillz.com
Enthusiast

Re: Red Wing Work Boots vs. Georgia Boot WB's

in reply to
Working as an industrial forester, I have gone through my share of boots over the past 27 years. Some have been steel-toe and others not steel-toe. I have tried several makes...including Red Wing, Wolverine, Browning, LL Bean,Rocky, etc.
For the money,my steel-toe Georgia Giants seem to be the best value. Well made, inside and out, and relatively light for a steel toe boot. The leather is inpregnated with a waxy substance, making the boot resistant to outside moisture. Cushiony insoles make these boots real comfortable. The steel-toe is almost nondetectible in this product. You have to wiggle your toes around just to prove that it is there. Walking in uneven terrain, these boots really perform well. Best of all, the customer service at Georgia Boot in Tenn is top of the line. I called them the other day, inquiring about some new laces for my boots, and they sent me several pairs of laces...FREE.. now thats service! Yep, there are lots of good boots out there, but for my money, it will always be the Georgia Giant from Georgia Boot company. Regards, Joe

in reply to
Hey, a question I can respond to....
I have a pair of steel toe Georgia boots.
They are two years old, and still holding up like brand new.
Had ring wings before, and I'll never go back
Trailblazer

in reply to
Are Georgia boots made in the USA?

Toni

~*~ You could say I lurk, but the simple truth is that I have nothing to add to the conversation ~*~

in reply to
Yes, I think they are in Tennessee
Trailblazer

in reply to
LOL... seriously tho.... check the tag, are they made in the USA or imported.

Toni

~*~ You could say I lurk, but the simple truth is that I have nothing to add to the conversation ~*~

in reply to
China
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
aarrrgghhh

in reply to
I know gran, but they are very good boots..
Same company is part of Dickies Work Clothing (which I do not wer)
Trailblazer

in reply to
I went and looked in both pair of DH's workboots, and his were made in the USA once. He is rather picky about that.

Toni

Scout

in reply to
I have an antique crock (25 gallon) made by Red Wing pottery. I think the name of the town where they were made is Red Wing. Are those the same folks that make the boots?

My hiking boots are made by Merrill. They are very comfy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Trailblazer

in reply to
Great question mspooh Smiley Happy I like an inquiring mind!

So, I went and googled it, and they were both based in Red Wing Minnesotta, here is a neat link.

http://mncontent.com/features/redwing.idc?loginid=kbf

Toni

Trailblazer

in reply to
DH swears by his Red Wing boots. The uppers last the equivalent of forever in workboot lingo if you take decent care of them. He just periodically has them resoled.

Toni

Scout

in reply to
What a cool link, Th! Thanks.

I bought my crock at an auction in the 70's for just a few dollars. It is in mint condition. For years I used it to hold cat food and dog food bags in the garage. Didn't have a clue what is was. One day my neighbor say that crock and said, Goodness! That is valuable! So I researched it.

Needless to say, I moved that crock into my living room and out of the garage.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

in reply to
Make sure thoses red wings are 100% USA.
Here is one division of Red Wings boots that is made over Seas.
http://www.boots99.com/redwing.htm

Once, my father is 100% union...goes an extra 5 miles to a union store just to buy a gallon of milk.
Trailblazer

in reply to
Worx eh headed? I don't even think I've seen those in our Red Wing store. Might cause a riot! LOL

Hubby is totally union, he's hell to shop for. Hmmm, can I say hell here? Maybe I'd better say heck instead? *humming the 'look for the union label' song*

Toni

in reply to
I use to be like that, buy everything union made/USA.
I really do not know if there is a product anymore that is 100% union made in the USA or even 100% made in the USA
Even these boots...laces, thread, needles, soles, leather, I just do not see every little part of this boot being 100%USA.
Could be wrong, I am more often than not.
Trailblazer

in reply to
Darned if I know. But I do have a huge veggie garden in the summer, so I KNOW those are made right here in the good old US of A! *humming the Star Spangled Banner*

Toni