cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counterfeit/Repackaged parts and Foreign US Sellers

Hello, I have only been selling on Ebay for 4 years now. I really enjoy what I do but this last year seems to be a bit frustrating. I thought I would ask the Ebay community what their thoughts were on it, and possibly try to make sense of it for myself. I have been noticing an increasing amount of Seller stores that are located in another country, but all of their stock is labeled as being in the US. Due to the high number of counterfeit parts on the market. Including Used parts that are being bought from the US, shipped to another country and re-packaged. Then sold as a US seller, that is not actually located in the US. I try to avoid this issue by being specific in my item searches. When I do a search, I always select US Sellers only. To my surprise a large majority of the listings are foreign sellers. Listing the item as being located in the US and appearing as a US seller because of it. I check this by going to their store or profile and clicking the about tab. There are new accounts popping up daily with only NEW Items at a great price. Directly affecting the cost at which an actual US seller can sell their products for. I have spoken with Ebay customer service numerous times in the last year about it. A lot of the agents have agreed with me, some have taken action. That account may get a ban or a warning. It still only seems to be getting worse. Today I had an international buyer message me about an order they purchased last month. They told me to send them an invoice with the totals at X amount. I said, sorry but I have no recollection of accepting an offer or sending an offer at that price. They responded saying it was to help them out with the customs fees. So, I decided to do a little research and looked at their account. I found out that they were located in India and had just recently sold 2 of the exact same items, that I sold them. They sold them as NEW in original box. I checked the serial number on the item they sold, and sure enough. It was the exact same part I had sold last June to a different account that was also located in India. Both accounts are very similar, right down to the name, but one is more active. I sold it as USED for $1100 because I knew where it came from and that it actually was used. They repackaged it and sold it as new for $5,054 and listed it as a US Seller. I tracked the serial number down in my records and found the pictures I had taken before shipping; it was a perfect match. I know that lately things have slowed down a lot, it could be because I started selling on Ebay just before covid hit. I don't know how covid has affected selling on Ebay because I have no reference for it. It seems like there are no requirements to create an account as a seller. They ban one account, and the seller just opens a new one. I know that I am new to the game, and this may have been going on for a long time. I just wanted to know from other sellers if they have encountered this? Why are sellers located outside of the US, dominating the search results of a US Sellers only search? Why do sellers outside of the US, appear as a US Seller simply because they list their item as being located in the US? What is Ebay doing to change this? If they aren't doing anything to fix it right now, will they? How many times is one person willing to get burned before they are fed up with the fact that a good majority of the sellers are not reliable? When they stop buying from Ebay, where does that leave us? Ebay's customer protection is nice, but it doesn't help when your plant is shut down and you are relying on an unknown source. Any help, feedback or even your opinion on the matter helps. I appreciate you taking the time to read this post!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Why do sellers outside of the US, appear as a US Seller?

In some cases because they incorporate in a U.S. State, and have a bank account in the U.S.

For all intents and purposes, they are a U.S. company. Just as Apple with contract manufacturing in the far east, and intellectual property owed in Ireland is a U.S. company.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

What is Ebay doing about it, nothing.

China has warehouses in the US where a lot of sellers dropship from.

The way to avoid them is to check and see where the seller is located, not the items.

For some reason, International sellers dropshipping from the US can by with a lot more carp and policy violations then US sellers selling their own items.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yes, that's the issue it take with it. They seem to not have to follow all of our rules, policies or procedures. Yet they are allowed to operate as a US business. I'm not saying all sellers outside of the US are. It just seems like there are a lot of them that are able to bend rules that I as a US seller would be prosecuted for. I do search for US sellers, not product location. If they list the product as being located in the US, they show up in the search regardless of whether they are actually a US seller. If your account says you are located in India, you should be an Indian seller. If your store is located in China, you should be a Chinese seller etc. Thank you for your response.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The one's I can't stand are the one's that plaster US Flags all over their images and claim to be a US seller, when they are in China.

They need to do something about them, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Just because the items are supposed to be in the US, doesn't make you as US seller when you're in China.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you, it is misleading. I have reported many of those accounts and found that the AI that reviews complaints picks and chooses when it is a violation. It might have to do with the wording or exact sub article you choose when reporting them. I have found that a lot of the times you want to report something or request customer service. Their sub sections are very vague and make it difficult to navigate to the proper channels. Thank you for your reply!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply