cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomas Merton signature & inscription in 1950s Catholic Missal

He is definitely the author of the words but I am not the original owner so I can't verify that he signed this book.   Is it valuable & how would I sell it without verification?  Thanks.

st joe merton missal2small.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Thomas Merton signature & inscription in 1950s Catholic Missal

What a cool find!  I did a fast search of signed Thomas Merton books and see that asking prices are in the 4 digits.  So if authentic, the signature on this otherwise mundane Daily Missal could elevate its value significantly, especially since the content of the inscription reflects the religious / philosophical nature of Merton's persona. 

In cases where you need to ascertain if a signature is real or a facsimile (some facsimile sigs look very authentic), I usually try to locate the exact title of the book for sale and see if the corresponding copy has an identical inscription.  That way, you'll know if it's part of the printing process or a genuine unique inscription. 

Since this is a Daily Missal and not one of Merton's own published books, I am leaning toward thinking the signature is genuine and not a facsimile.  Someone probably approached him with this book and he inscribed it on the spot.

To make absolutely sure the signature is not only an authentic ink signature, but is also a genuine signature of Thomas Merton, my next step would be to contact a particular auction house.  Since eBay frowns on links to outside entities, I'll give the name in code.  The letter between Q and S is ____ .   Take that letter, write it twice and put a & between the two letters.  That is the name of a venue that can verify and authenticate autographs.  They are very good to work with; I've used them several times.  

Good luck with that one!  I think you'll do well and will probably at least approach $1,000 in value,  if not exceed it. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What a cool find!  I did a fast search of signed Thomas Merton books and see that asking prices are in the 4 digits.  So if authentic, the signature on this otherwise mundane Daily Missal could elevate its value significantly, especially since the content of the inscription reflects the religious / philosophical nature of Merton's persona. 

In cases where you need to ascertain if a signature is real or a facsimile (some facsimile sigs look very authentic), I usually try to locate the exact title of the book for sale and see if the corresponding copy has an identical inscription.  That way, you'll know if it's part of the printing process or a genuine unique inscription. 

Since this is a Daily Missal and not one of Merton's own published books, I am leaning toward thinking the signature is genuine and not a facsimile.  Someone probably approached him with this book and he inscribed it on the spot.

To make absolutely sure the signature is not only an authentic ink signature, but is also a genuine signature of Thomas Merton, my next step would be to contact a particular auction house.  Since eBay frowns on links to outside entities, I'll give the name in code.  The letter between Q and S is ____ .   Take that letter, write it twice and put a & between the two letters.  That is the name of a venue that can verify and authenticate autographs.  They are very good to work with; I've used them several times.  

Good luck with that one!  I think you'll do well and will probably at least approach $1,000 in value,  if not exceed it. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@thronesriver,

You need to get the "signature" verified by an expert, I'm afraid.

If you google for Thomas Merton signature, there are a number of examples available in pictures on the web, which don't look very much like the name in your book.

It looks to me like you have a quotation in your book, not an inscription. The name is just giving the author of the quote. I don't think it was written by Thomas Merton himself.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You could bring it to a signature expert and he will verify it. Once he verifies it he will give you a letter stating that the signature is authentic.  When you list the book mention on the listing page that it includes a signature verification letter and send the letter along with the book when it is sold.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Sorry to say,  but it's not signed by Thomas Merton. Not really a close call, so I wouldn't bother seeking authentication. 

The handwriting in the missal has a distinct slant to the left.  Merton's writing slanted to the right, which is much more common.  Everyone's handwriting is variable, but slant is a core characteristic that  usually doesn't change over time.  Absent similar examples, it's improbable that Merton wrote this.  As another poster noted, probably just a former owner adding a favorite quote to their book.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

When I gave my input, I didn't even compare the signature in the book to Merton's actual signature.

Obviously, that should be the first step in any authentication attempt.  If there's not a close call in the handwriting, as Lux says, then no need to proceed to the next steps.

However, my advice would hold if there is any doubt or confusion about a signature in a book that looks authentic and compares favorably to known signatures to the untrained eye. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I appreciate all the information.  Thank you for taking time to help.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your efforts, it's very helpful.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your input.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your help on this.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply