cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

572. The first book-length work by this English novelist was a biography of his father, who was an artist.

Who is the author, and what was the book?
Message 5746 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

vvet696
Enthusiast
Hmmm. Joyce Cary's portrait of Gulley Jimson (the title of which eludes me at the moment)?

Message 5747 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

vvet696
Enthusiast
The Horse's Mouth.

Sheesh.

Message 5748 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

572. As far as I can find, Cary's first book-length work was a novel, Aissa Saved (1932).
Message 5749 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

# 572: William Collins , the father of Wilkie Collins was a landscape painter. In 1848 Memoirs of the Life of William Collins was published. It was the first work published by Wilkie but not the first work written , which was Iolanthi, or Tahiti as it Was, a Romance - written in 1844 - but not published until 1999. At least I think it was not published in his life. After an author becomes famous and enters into the pantheon, just about anything that he wrote becomes fair game for publication. Considering the subject matter, no matter that it had to be fully a work of Collin's febrile imagination, it was a valid decision to issue it.
Message 5750 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

vvet696
Enthusiast
Rats.

Well, The Horse's Mouth was a better movie, anyway...

Message 5751 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

572. The professor has the one I was thinking of.
Message 5752 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I once knew a man who opened a nice little used book shop who called his shop The Horse's Mouth. Most of the community wondered at "such a strange name". But then "most" in any community are not readers.

It was a good book store.
Message 5753 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I see a problem with those who might refer to it by the other end of the horse.
Message 5754 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

573. The first book by this 19th century American poet and editor, published when he was thirteen, was a satirical attack on the current U.S. president, and it was successful enough that it had a second edition the following year.

Who was he, and what was the book?
Message 5755 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

573: William Cullen Bryant, The Enbargo, critical of Thomas Jefferson
Message 5756 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Sorry, The Embargo.
Message 5757 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

573. Congratulations to jeanpaulbooks:
Message 5758 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

574. Bryant was by no means the only pamphleteer or newspaper writer to attack Jefferson (I've spent quite a bit of time with early 19th century papers recently, and they make current campaigns look sweet and light), but one pamphleteer, who started his career in England, had the distinction of being paid by Jefferson to attack Adams and Washington then turning on Jefferson to expose scandal about him.

Who was he, and what is his most famous pamphlet about an Englishman?
Message 5759 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

574: Thomas Callender, Samuel Johnson, of Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson. The pamphlet was Deformities of Samuel Johnson.
Message 5760 of 7,715
latest reply