cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

What was the first Grosset & Dunlap First Edition issued?

Message 7411 of 7,715
latest reply

Marcia Willett

a)Chadwick

b)Devonshire

c)

Message 7412 of 7,715
latest reply

c) Salterton (Buddleigh).

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7413 of 7,715
latest reply

790:  Tom Swift and His Motor Cycle?

Message 7414 of 7,715
latest reply

13 First Editions preceded it.

Message 7415 of 7,715
latest reply

790:  The Rover Boys at the Farm?

Message 7416 of 7,715
latest reply

Hi mmadigan,

Not the ones which I'm thinking of.  Your answer for b) is v.v.close, geographically. 🙂

Hi Steve (sigma)

c) is correct.  Not too hard for someone living in the right area. 🙂 Googling 'The Salterton Trilogy' will find the Canadian author and the other trilogies.

Shameless promotion
"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....
"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 7417 of 7,715
latest reply

790: You're getting warm. Only 7 First Editions before this one.

Message 7418 of 7,715
latest reply

790: Counting backward on the Rover Boys series, is it The Rover Boys on the Great Lakes?

Message 7419 of 7,715
latest reply

790: Chatterton-Peck issued that First Edition.

Hint: It's not a series book.

Message 7420 of 7,715
latest reply

Mrs Bee, are we talking about Nigel Williams here?

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7421 of 7,715
latest reply

ref. 789

No, Sig, you really only need to do a bit of a search to find the books and the author.

Background story - OT.  I was introduced to this author via a cryptic crossword in the Independent newspaper (UK).  The setter, Phi, incorporated several words from the three titles of one of the trilogies.  He explained that he was a fan of this author and such was his enthusiasm that I bought one of the trilogies.  When I set my question I was half-way through reading this and had just completed another Phi crossword referencing the very trilogy which I was reading.  Truly an author who deserves plaudits - and a place in SATNROSE'S BOOK QUIZ.

Shameless promotion
"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....
"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 7422 of 7,715
latest reply

Aha.

Then the identity you seek is William Robertson Davies.

The Deptford Trilogy

The Cornish Trilogy

The Salterton Trilogy

I was thinking of 'The Wimbledon Trilogy' with Nigel Williams. Not something I've consumed, but I've sold a couple of copies, and there being other topographically-titled trilogies by him that I was unaware of was eminently possible.

Still awaiting the finding of a copy of your book in a donation to the shop. Smiley Wink

Message 7423 of 7,715
latest reply

This thread is sinking.

Was I supposed to pose a question?

If so, here it is.....

Who was the artist responsible for the illuminations in the earliest known separate English Book of Hours, presently housed in the British Museum?

If not, never mind.

Message 7424 of 7,715
latest reply

sigmapsidelta - No, it is not necessary for the person who answered a question correctly to then pose the next question, but I am glad you did. It is great to have more people involved in asking the question. Just a suggestion for future reference, when asking a question or answering one, it helps if you number it to avoid confusion. Not a big deal if not numbered however.

Recap:

# 789 Has now been answered.

# 790: Question still has not been answered and I really want to know! Is it a Photoplay edition? And if so, is it King Kong?

# 791: New question posed by sigmapsidelta - "Who was the artist responsible for the illuminations in the earliest known separate English Book of Hours, presently housed in the British Museum?"

Message 7425 of 7,715
latest reply