Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

It's been several years, I think, but I vividly recall seeing a copy (on eBay) with a number line beginning with "1." The story goes that only 2,000 firsts were printed, so it's not surprising that they are few and far between, especially given how Flynn has been heating up with collectors.
Message 4471 of 4,794
latest reply

blackandtanbooks :

Thanks for the information.

As far as I know, Random House, and at least one other imprint that was under the Random House umbrella, is the only publisher whose first editions may have a number line starting with "2."

However, I certainly would not be willing to exclude the possiblilty that some other small publisher had used the same system.
Message 4472 of 4,794
latest reply

The story goes that only 2,000 firsts were printed, so it's not surprising that they are few and far between

This makes sense, although I can't remember ever not being able to find a true first of any recent (less than thirty years old) title for sale somewhere online -- even if the seller is asking an outrageous price.

And then I found this on Flynn's official website:

"I self published Term Limits 13 years ago and visited every book store in the Twin Cities. The face-to-face sales coupled with two wonderful publicists, Teresa McFarland and Maureen Cahill, made for a big success. In three short weeks we sold out of 2,300 hard covers and had to go back to press."

This would have been about 9 months before Pocket books had their first printing of this title, so there was plenty of time for multiple printings by Cloak & Dagger.

I have to conclude, then, that my copy (with the number line to 2) is the second printing.

Still, this was a fun find for me because I got to this book sale (one of the more crowded and frantic in my area) almost an hour late, which means at least a couple of hundred people had already passed the book by.

This is the first time I've actually seen the Cloak & Dagger edition in person, let alone owned it. I'd love to keep it for myself, but the kids need braces and tattoos.

Message 4473 of 4,794
latest reply

bookwik:

There are copies on line with the full number line--I spent more time onthe search. Here is one:

Vince Flynn
Term Limits
Atria, 1998-06-01. Very Good Ships within 24 hours! SIGNED by author [no inscription]. First edition, first printing with full number line 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Very nice condition book with some edge wear and corner rubbing to DJ. Pages crisp, clean with no markings. Corner clipped top of page 1. Dust jacket not price clipped. Always courteous and honest service!
[Bookseller: Alibris]
Buy From: Alibris - $ 130 Save/Send
Message 4474 of 4,794
latest reply

oldbookshopnj, that is a first edition thus. Actually, I thought the Pocket printing came before the Atria printing, but in any case the Cloak & Dagger printing came out before either of those, in August 1997.

Message 4475 of 4,794
latest reply

You are right--I was sloppy.
Message 4476 of 4,794
latest reply

Now I am sad. I didn't want to make anyone feel sloppy.
Message 4477 of 4,794
latest reply

On Vialibri:

Flynn, Vince
Term Limits
Cloak & Dagger Press, 1997. Good in very good dust jacket. Signed by author. VG/VG+ 360 p. 1st edition, 1st printing from Cloak & Dagger, 1997. SIGNED BY VINCE FLYNN! VERY GOOD IN VERY GOOD PLUS DJ. A mediocre copy of a scarce book. Book has stained page edges, wear at extremities, previous owner's plate affixed to endpaper. Jacket is better, light edgewear, couple creases, chip from top front hinge. Still, these 1st printings aretough to find, and it's signed!
[Bookseller: Alibris]
Buy From: Alibris - $ 295 Save
Message 4478 of 4,794
latest reply

lucisaddict
Enthusiast
Hello all,
I would like to know more about this Winnie the Pooh board book:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/lucisaddict/DSC00027.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l525/lucisaddict/DSC00016.jpg

So far I know it's Roo's Big Adventure.
I would like to know the language it's in, I have an idea but I am not sure.
I was unable to find a date or much info about this book online, any info is appreciated.
Message 4479 of 4,794
latest reply

It's a Japanese phone number:

[PDF] International Office – TokyoFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Tel: 03-5467-4550 Fax 03-5467-4155. Direct: 03-5467-4156 home page: www. newportjapan.com e-commerce: www.my-passcard.com; www.tabemo.com ...
www.usc.edu/dept/International.../Tokyo%202004%20AR.pdf - Similar
Message 4480 of 4,794
latest reply

lucisaddict
Enthusiast
Many thanks for that info.

I had an idea that it was in Japanese. Thank you for confirming. I found this Friday night out with my boyfriend on date time, couldn't help myself and had to stop in at the resale shop. This was the only item I found to take home that night, just thought it was interesting and figured I would keep it.

Now knowing more about it, I think I will post it for charity..Ebay is currently offering the option to donate to Japan. Only makes sense.
Message 4481 of 4,794
latest reply

I have a copy of The Golden Circle; A Collection of Choice Piano Music. The copyright on one page says "MDCCCLXVII by H. Tolman & Company. The MDCCCLXVII is 1867 from what Google told me.

Only problem is the book is in poor condition. The pages are very browned and brittle. Most of the pages in the book are intact though browned and brittle, but some are loose and are falling apart.

I Ask A Question Part 1 a website was given to check books out. I checked the book out and it did come up in the search though the book shown on the site looks to be in a whole lot better condition then the one I have.

My question, and I think I already know the answer but figured I would just get clarification, is this book worth selling in this condition?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Message 4482 of 4,794
latest reply

Collections of piano music rank fairly far down the scale in desirability.

Binding condition is not necessarily too important for sheet music collections, but brittle pages definitely are a major detraction. It's probably not worth bothering with.
Message 4483 of 4,794
latest reply

Ask
Message 4484 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi,
I am new to this board. You say ask so.... I hope you may have a little more info than I was able to find.
I have an 1889 copy of "The Heroes of The Dark Continent' I would say the book is in fair condition. The binding is giving way on the inside. All the pages are there. The colour pictures are beautiful and in excellent condition. They still have the protective tissue like paper covering them. I see prices from $15.00 to $450.00. Not sure what mine is worth. I'm not even sure if mine is a first edition. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Message 4485 of 4,794
latest reply