Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Ask any question about any book Part II

z1pyro
Enthusiast
I have a 9 lb. Bible up for Auction. I was wondering how I can charge more than $4.00 to ship since ebay's limit is $4.00? Thanks
Message 2506 of 4,794
latest reply

z1pyro: Use the shipping calculator--or include the additional cost in the price of the book (higher starting bid...).
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 2507 of 4,794
latest reply

I recently came across a nearly complete set of "The World and Its People" published by Ira R. Hiller of New York. The "Terms of Publication" on the back cover indicates it would be a set of 85 sections, each section covering a different country or area.

I have about 80 of the 85 booklets and was wondering what would be the best approach to selling on eBay. Left to my own judgment, I would probably sell in groups of ten, but I would like to hear other opinions. Thanks for any information you might provide also, Bill
Message 2508 of 4,794
latest reply

I don't see any value in groups of 10.

One approach might be geographic--for example Sub-Saharan Africa, Western Europe, Middle East...
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 2509 of 4,794
latest reply

connectibles: When you see all 85 parts on ABE for $65, it doesn't look like you are going to get much money no matter how you do it.
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 2510 of 4,794
latest reply

jmgrobe: Much thanks, not very familiar with books, but the geographic approach sounds good to me..... Bill
Message 2511 of 4,794
latest reply

I'm looking for information about A Picture Book of Favorite Fairy Tales by Charlotte Stone, Whitman Publishing Co., 1930. It is paper with stapled binding, 12 pages long including the cover, and oversized. The number 959 is printed on the lower left corner of the front cover. There are numerous black and white line illustrations by C. Gregg; I assume the colored illustrations are by Stone. Any help is always appreciated.
Message 2512 of 4,794
latest reply

I'd say it is probably a close cousin to this title--same two illustrators but shorter and likely cheaper originally.
Message 2513 of 4,794
latest reply

jeanpaulbooks: Are you sure you have the bibliographic information correct? I find a slightly different title:

My Picture Book of Fairy Tales by
Viola Ruth Lowe - Whitman Publishing, Racine, Wisconsin, 1930, illustrated by Charlotte Stone, with 6 copies at ABE from $85 to $250
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 2514 of 4,794
latest reply

That's the same title I was discussing in #2512, but the publisher's number is different and the page count is different.
Message 2515 of 4,794
latest reply

oldbookshopnj and jmgrobe

I also thought initially they might be the same, but it's clear they aren't. Is there a Whitman reference book or site that I might track down?

Thanks for your help.
Message 2516 of 4,794
latest reply

cubby42544
Enthusiast
I have over 50 Reader's Digest condensed books some date back to 1956 are they worth anything and if so what is the best way to sell them
Message 2517 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
No.

Dump them.
Message 2518 of 4,794
latest reply

jeanpaulbooks:

I don't know of anything on Whitman once you get past Big Little Books, but if you did find something, I'd like to know about it.

Picture books have low survival rates and are not found in many libraries, which means that it isn't that uncommon to have something with one, two or no copies on Worldcat or no copies listed for sale online.

Scarcity is nice, but in my opinion it doesn't translate into value for these books in the same way that an "unrecorded Utah imprint" would, because collectors are buying them for visual appeal, not to make a complete Whitman collection.

I'd say you have something that is derivative from Whitman #2048, but being shorter probably less valuable even though scarcer.
Message 2519 of 4,794
latest reply

Hello! I normally sell kids clothing on Ebay, but I have a set of books to sell and have a few questions I hope you experts can answer. I have a complete set of 8 Brambly Hedge books by Jill Barklem. They are newer books, purchased within the past 5 years. I'm trying to decide if I should list them as a set or list individually. Some of them are listed on another bookseller site for $20-$38 each. I'm not sure if that's actually attainable or not. They seem hit or miss here on Ebay, but not all the books in the set have completed auctions.
Message 2520 of 4,794
latest reply