Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Not rare at all. Held in over 540 libraries. There are 8 editions, your's being the last one in 1967.

Prehistoric animals
by Josef Augusta; Zdeněk Burian
Type: Book; English
Publisher: London : Spring Books, 1956.
Edition: Rev. ed | 8 Editions
OCLC: 61628457
Related Subjects: Paleontology -- Pictorial works.
Citations: Cite this Item | Export to EndNote | Export to RefWorks
Message 736 of 4,794
latest reply

There are multiple copies on AbeBooks:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=augusta&bi=0&bx=off&ds=50&sortby=2&sts=t&tn=prehistoric+animals&x=45&y=17
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 737 of 4,794
latest reply

The first Rackham-illustrated Wind in the Willows was done by the Limited Editions Club, had 2020 signed copies, and was in a slipcase.

Heritage Press issued later editions--the question here is the sequence of the Heritage editions.
Message 738 of 4,794
latest reply

The first Rackham-illustrated Wind in the Willows was done by the Limited Editions Club, had 2020 signed copies, and was in a slipcase.

Heritage Press issued later editions--the question here is the sequence of the Heritage editions.

That was mentioned.....but since most of the reprints carry just the same copyright date (1940)for me, they have always been 1st Trade Edition Later Printing. I suppose there is a way, perhaps with the dj price etc...but that is beyond my ken....there are just too many reprints of this popular book.
Message 739 of 4,794
latest reply

From Riall, Richard, A New Bibliography of Arthur Rackham, Bath: Mulberry House, 1994:

"Printed in Calson type -- large 14 point size, on paper of a deep india tones with illustrations pronted on smooth white paper, and the surroundedd by an india tone to match the paper for the printing of the text. 'The sheets have been folded and bound into heavy boards. The boards have been covered in two kinds of staunch binder's cloth. Along the shelf-back, the cloth used is a bright red buckram; and on this the title is stamped in yellow leaf, Along the sides, the cloth used is a brilliant blue linen; and on it is stamped, also in yellow leaf, a line rendering of Arthur Rackham's whimsical drawing of Mrs. Toad. Then each copy is enclosed in a slip case.'

This edition is the first appearance of the 14 line drawings which were not included in the limited edition designed by Bruce Rogers, and are within the text. All edges rose colored. 24 pages (190 numbered) 155 x 234 12 colour plates and the text illustrations.

There was a cheaper edition from The Heritage Illustrated Bookshelf [New York: The Heritage Press, as to foot of the title page.

Bound in blue mauve cloth. Same pictorial Mrs. Toad to cover. Titles in gold to the spine. All edges rose colored. 190 numbered pages 150 x 235 12 Coloured plates and text illustrations to the chapter headings.
Message 740 of 4,794
latest reply

Here is the book.
The Cardboard Horse and How He Got a Name
by Beatrice Gronvall (signed with Best Wishes)
Dedicated to ...
Library of Congress CCN 85-81744
© Copyright 1985
Illustrations by Beatrice Gronvall
Acknowledgement: This book has been published because of the help and encouragement from friends at the Goodhue County Historical Museum

Worldcat has it listed as "Book." http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/69867857?tab=subjects#tabs

Two on Mr. Lincoln, 10 & 25. Neither are signed.

Can this be called rare? Maybe medium rare? Interest to anyone? A keyword or 2?
Thank you,
m.
Message 741 of 4,794
latest reply

carolinamoonbooks- Thank you so very much for taking the time to consult your references. That is the exact description of my book indeed, except that I do not have the slipcase.

Is there a year of publication given? I would like to be able to include it if I could.

Chris
Message 742 of 4,794
latest reply

Chris: 1940
Message 743 of 4,794
latest reply

mom4birds
Enthusiast
babamaruisa --

The Goodhue county historical museum store --

http://www.goodhuehistory.mus.mn.us/store.html

The store lists a number of locally written books, mostly histories, some childrens' books -- not the one you have, but you could write and ask them about it. Sounds to me like they would know about it.
Probably will have mostly local interest -- emphasize MINNESOTA !
Message 744 of 4,794
latest reply

Hello - Thank you for reading -

In some items I had put away I came across a 3 Volume set of Kents Comentaries -

I put it away some years ago because I was puzzled about its Edition statement. It states 12th and 13th editions. Its date is 1884. On the title page it lists it as 12th and 13th -- Each by a different Editor -- The Prefaces for each do not acknowledge the others existance. It reads as One Book ( IE there is Not a 12th and then a 13th covering the same material ) There are Many references / quotes to the First and Second Editions. I have found and read that The First Edition was an early statement on American Law and the subsequent editions were to update with of the day changes by Ammendments and Modification to Laws (the constantly changing legal environment in the USA )

Does anyone know anything about this edition(s) and how it can be 12th and 13th by two different editors - each with their own preface and yet no obvious delimitation in the text of the 3 Volumes ??

I cant find other instances of this -

I can send or post some photos if it will help -

Thanks
Message 745 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Your book:

Commentaries

?
Message 746 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
My guess, and it's only a guess,
is that this is neither the 12th or 13th edition,
but an even later edition
that is a combination of the two.
Message 747 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Some sources say 4 volumes?
Message 748 of 4,794
latest reply

Yes - Commentaries - Sorry I was thinking ahead !!

The Link to the page shown is exactly like mine

12th and 13th
Little Brown

I see nothing to indicate a later edition and as I stated there are Seperate Prefaces --

In the Text - I dont see anything that indicates any division between 12th and 13th by sentence - paragraph - page - chapter or Volume

Thank for looking
Message 749 of 4,794
latest reply

fishinjenny
Enthusiast
Okay I need some help. I have found what I believe to be a first edition Dr. Suess Cat In The Hat book. It is going to be a very good sell if I can make sure it is a true first edition. However, I do not have the dustjacket. The DJ is extremely important in dating this book. It looks the same as this book: item#350051391352. Anyone know how to help me make sure this is a first, without having the DJ to match? All advice appreciated.
Message 750 of 4,794
latest reply