cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 Books out of 8 Not received from Discover Books order

All packages using the same Tracking number..The USPS got one package & delivered it to me..So it says they were all delivered....Where are the other 6 books??...Seller Discover Books says they were all delivered..NO one package was delivered...Sounds like a con to me...There is NO way to get Ebay to do anything about this...I am out 6 books...any suggestions....Money back guarantee...No way to let Ebay know...

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: 6 Books out of 8 Not received from Discover Books order

Did the label on the package indicate sufficient weight for the books to have been in the package at some point between here and there?

If they paid for 1 or 2 pounds you can prove the "scam" but i think you'll probably end up accepting the truth of it and a refund for the books you didn't get.

Meaning I don't really think they are that hard up for a buck as to cheat you out of 6 books. I think eBay lumped the entire order together and they simply missed seeing the size of your order.

Discover books buys books at 4 cents a pound, and figures on using about 25% of what they get. They do charge a good price for hard to find books, but that kind of model makes for high speed / high volume selling and none of the thought it takes to scam you like this.

They want your return business, they will make good. I've dealt with them as a seller to them as well as a buyer (and a competitor).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I don't know what the label specified, but the package was only big enough to hold the two books I received from my order of eight. When I contacted Discovery Books about the non delivery of the balance of my order they quite happily told me that the order had been delivered and that I should contact my local PO who of course informed me that the package had been delivered which according to the tracking number it had been.  This of course doesn't help when they use the same tracking number on multiple packages covering the same order. In my opinion to be seen to be honest Discovery Books should use a different tracking number for each and every package they send. Their response was disappointing to say the least as this was not the first time I had bought books from them.

As far as I'm concerned the practise of using the same tracking order for multiple packages is down right dishonest and makes it easy for them to claim that all the packages have been delvered based on the first one received. I think this company is crooked and out to make an easy buck based on their delivery methods.

I'll not be using them again as I feel they've scammed me and would warn anyone else against using them for any future purchases.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

They can't use one tracking number for multiple packages. That would be cheating the post office, because they would only pay for one shipping label.  It's not allowed, and the post office has checks (using their scanning system) to prevent it. 

If they put one tracking number for multiple purchases, that means they were planning to send them all together in one package. The seller made a mistake in this case, if they only put 2 of your items into the package.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@desmond9,

You need to file an Item Not as Described case for the 6 books that you didn't receive. Then you will get a full refund of the payments for them.

Don't file Item Not Received, because you did receive something, just not what was described.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Never heard of "combined orders" to save on shipping?
Never heard of a book lot?

Whether you know it or not, you have just maligned me and a hundred thousand other book sellers who "happily combine orders to save you on shipping".

In fact EBAY DOES THIS AUTOMATICALLY  when the seller sets up rules. Lacemaker is simply wrong in that it cheats the post office out of money.

The post office charges by WEIGHT per package. They don't care if the package has one or 50 books in it so long as it weighs less than 70 pounds and the postage is correct for the weight.  End of story.

Another thing:

The fact is that from time to time the Post Office manages to damage a package and repackages things themselves. It says so.

Concluding that all booksellers are scamming you when they offer to save you money on shipping by combining your purchase into a single order is libelous as well as just plain foolish.

Most big sellers like Discover Books don't voluntarily combined purchases to save you money, they will do so on their end. Why? Because sometimes one book is here and one book is there and the savings to them isn't worth the trouble of getting the book from here to there before getting both to you (and of course they are under time constraints).

You can check the label for weight. IT's in small print.

Or just file not as described--it might work.

Personally I'd talk to an eBay representative personally because robots aren't going to understand half of the problem. It happens too rarely to be worth the investment to program a robot to respond to it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi...(◕‿◕) 

I did check into the Not as Described and that doesn't work either ..When I click on that it wants me to start a return..I can't return them since I didn't didn't them...No way to talk to a representative..Have searched the site everywhere... I didn't want a refund I wanted the books I spent over an hour looking for...I am also a seller on Ebay and I would never treat my customers like this...

I will just buy books elsewhere....

Thank you for the reply...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If you go through the help system you will get a chance to describe your problem.

Scroll down after you get the list and answer "No" to the question about helping or finding your problem.

It will ask you what you want to do next.

With me it offers me two choices: call them or have them call me. I always have them call me.

But I'm a seller.

There has to be a way like this for a buyer to talk to a representative.  Because I've dealt with issues where my customer has contacted them.

Specifically a book that didn't show up, until after she contacted them about guaranteed delivery.
The book showed up like two days later (I was on vacation at the time). It had been very badly mangled by the post office machinery.

persevere

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have been a guest buyer for the past 2 1/2 years but joined so I could leave feedback for discover-books

They are horrible.

I ordered a cookbook from them. It said by the latest it would be here 2 weeks later

they did not mail it until the date it was due. so they sat on it for 2 weeks.

That really made me mad!!!!

I left bad feedback and I am sure they will do the same and if they do i will report them

I have been a good buyer. I paid immediately and they showed no concern for that when they waited 2 weeks before they mailed it

I am still waiting for it too.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply