cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a cookbook question, too.

I can find 1944 second edition copies, but no mention anywhere of the 1933 first edition of...

An American Cookbook for India by Louise Rankin, published by Thacker Spink & Co in 1933.

Anyone ever met one of these? 

I read about the category problem, but I haven't yet looked to see if it happened here in the UK, too.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a 1933 edition on sale here for $450. I've no idea if it will attract a buyer at that price:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30301998684&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26tn%3DAmerican%... 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Oh, boy... this sounds very familiar, as an author and topic that I researched within the past few years. Trouble is, I can't remember whether I researched it for a friend, or on a discussion board somewhere, or in my job as a research/reference librarian (I recently retired from that position). I remember looking up some printed material about the author -- while I was in my office in the library. But sometimes I did such work for friends or for the public good, on weekend days.

So far I've searched a couple of email accounts and don't find any correspondence about this. I'll keep thinking. Maybe somebody here will come up with a reply before I do.

It seems that the research I did was not to find a price of the first edition, but rather to verify biographical and bibliographical information. That may not be what you are looking for anyway. 

Wish my memory was better! I'll post here with an update, especially if I remember anything useful. Smiley Happy

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Aha!

@sigmapsidelta  I found that you asked a similar question back in 2016. It was put into the archived version of this discussion group:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Booksellers/American-Cookbook-for-India/td-p/25704689

It didn't come up in my previous search of boards here. Maybe the archived entries don't... This was found through a general Google search.

So, at least I'm more at ease, even though there is nothing new to tell you. Smiley Happy

----------
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Go to bookfinder.com. Put in title, An American Cookbook For India. A few come up. One is a 1930 edition for sale in Germany for about $44.00. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

Go to bookfinder.com. Put in title, An American Cookbook For India. A few come up. One is a 1930 edition for sale in Germany for about $44.00. 

Oh, I just found that one, too. It actually gives the date as "ca. 1930" so that is probably a guess. Still worth investigating.

----------
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I did look on Bookfinder, but it only came up with one entry with two 1944 copies. I didn't use 'An' in the title as searches usually ignore words less than three letters. Used it this time and there is another entry.

What I'm not sure of is why they're guessing at the date. The date is on the title page. My German isn't good enough to read most of the entry. Does it give any details on binding or cloth colour? I want to make sure I'm describing the right thing if I offer it on eBay.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@sigmapsidelta wrote:

My German isn't good enough to read most of the entry. Does it give any details on binding or cloth colour? I want to make sure I'm describing the right thing if I offer it on eBay.

VIII, 1 Bl. Inhalt, 303 Seiten. Original hellblauer Leinenband mit Titeldruck auf Vorderdeckel und Rücken. (Rücken verblichen). * Interessantes Kochbuch in englischer Sprache. Die einzelnen Abschnitte sind durch blaues Papier kenntlich gemacht. Druck auf leicht getöntem Papier, innen mit wenigen Anstreichungen.

VIII, one-leaf table of contents, 303 pages. Original pale-blue cloth binding with printed title to front cover and spine. (Spine faded). * Interesting cookbook in the English language. The individual sections are indicated by blue paper. Printed on lightly-toned paper; internally, a few marks.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for the translation.

It probably means little, but my copy has brick red cloth.

Still don't get how they missed the date - they named the publisher and the date is right next to their name at the foot of the title page.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a 1933 edition on sale here for $450. I've no idea if it will attract a buyer at that price:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30301998684&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26tn%3DAmerican%... 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Very odd that one didn't show up.

I shall keep an eye on it. That price seems rather high. Not sure what they mean by no titles on the spine so a previous owner had to add them with a marker pen - my copy's spine has title, author and publisher in the same font used on the front board.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply