eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

eBay Employee

Slow scrolling or slow typing on eBay: Try this

If you've noticed that scrolling is really slow or sometimes when you are typing on eBay, it seems to take forever, you may have an issue with Internet Explorer. Please try the following fix. Many thanks to rockboss2000 and osfd442 who posted these initially.

- techies@ebay.com

osfd442 (136 )(view author's auctions)
08/08/03 7:05 AM

I have been having the same problems like everyone else with the page loading slow and not being able to sell an item and not being able to scroll down the page without the page "jerking" This is what I did and it worked for me

On the IE6.0 go to Tools,Internet options, then click on the Accessibility tab near the bottom then make sure the box where it says "Format documents using my style sheet is UNCHECKED. Thats all I did and it worked. Hope this helps everyone out.

rockboss2000 (0 )(view author's auctions)
08/08/03 11:37 PM (# 5 of 18)

This is known as a CSS Hijack and is accomplished by placing JavaScript within a Cascading Style Sheet file, then changing Internet Explorer's "Accessibility" options to force it to use that particular CSS file. When properly coded, the JavaScript utilizes an obscure MicroSoft CSS extension to create a popup window(s).

For some reason this recent CSS Hijack menace has been placing the popup window(s) off-screen... If your computer monitor is just below your eye level, drop your right arm to your side, raise your palm parallel to your seat and with your index finger point in the direction you are facing... Just about where your finger tip points is the virtual location of the popup(s), viewable if you had enough pixels in your monitor.

The extension is called and the popup window(s) is created when the victim begins to type into a form on a web page. This causes the computer to slow down quite visibly as the popup(s) is being created offscreen. The exact purpose of the off-screen window(s) is unknown at this time.

The above post with the recommended action to take in order to disable this CSS Hijack is eBay's and is quite inadequate. The tech department has left out some crucial information:

1.) When unchecking "Format documents using my style sheet" you should examine the path of the *.css file for manual removal. (There are at least three3 possible file names: my.css, default.css, and system.css.)

2.) The recent variants of this CSS Hijack place an executable file (bootconf.exe) and create a StartUp entry to load the exe when Windows is started. This executable file and its StartUp entry will need to be removed.

3.) Some of these variants are now placing their "clients/advertisers" within the "Trusted Sites" zone of Internet Explorer and manual removal is a must in case you should encounter their pages that may contain other forms of malware.

4.) If you have one form of scumware on your machine, there is a very great possiblity that you have a few others lurking in other files and programs. The least offensive can annoy you with popups, browser redirects, and drain system resources... The worst can transmit every keystroke you make back to the controlling server.

Give the above serious consideration and if you are concerned please download parasite detection and removal tools like Ad-Aware and SpyBot (both offer FREE personal versions of their software)... Keep them up-to-date and run regular scans on your system.

Good Luck
Community Member

in reply to techies@ebay.com
With no disrespect intended to osfd442 for helping.

As for ebay. Get Real!

How many casual computer users that shop at ebay are going to come here first of all and if they should, this will be all Greek to them.

Thanks for the biggest laugh I've had all day.

Community Member

Thanks for the post ROCKBOSS!! I'll TRY IT!
Community Member

lsadowy,

The thing is that this is not an eBay problem that this fix is for. It's for something that users have picked up somewhere else. It may be over a lot of people's heads, but if it is the cause of someone's problems, it's not fair to blame eBay.
Community Member

but if it is the cause of someone's problems, it's not fair to blame eBay

Are you getting paid to say that or has ebay turned you into a techie poser? ; )
Community Member

hello everyone i just want to give a BIG THANKS TO ROCKBOSS2000 AND OSFD442 FOR THE HELP WITH THE SLOW EBAY.and to think i been suffering with this for three months now,i called comcast aol and they did not know the answer to the problem..HATS OFF TO YA ..THANKS
Community Member

rockboss2000 ROCKS!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH...THAT FIX WORKED FOR ME, TOO!!! I HAVE LITERALLY BEEN GOING BONKERS THE PAST 4 DAYS!!! Great job whoever you are...I LOVE YOU!!
Community Member

Thank you so much rockboss2000. I consider myself one of those "casual computer users" so I carefully read your post, downloaded one of the suggested removal tools and now the scrolling and typing on eBay works perfectly. Thanks again.
Community Member

Two other good programs to use on your pc is www.pcpitstop.com and www.ad-aware.com
I helped out a friend of mine who had the slow typing/scrolling problem with the use of these two programs.
Try it.
Community Member

Hi Folks --

I, too, am having serious problems with the slowness of ebay pages coming up, etc. Average page including home page takes 30 seconds to load. This really messes up the ebay experience. Seems the problem began when the ebay site was 'updated" or "refreshed" recently. I did try some of the tips that were offered, but nothing has really changed regarding improved speed. I am running IE on a Mac OS 9, so the steps i have to take are somewhat different. Would someone from the ebay technical area please respond to this message with advice on how to make my computer shake this ebay problem? I do not have the same slowness on other sites. I am a long-time ebayer -- buyer and seller -- and am about to say goodbye to the whole site. Trying to view a search is a life-long commitment!
Community Member

Could you help me please? I use a third party picture host and have to click the "my picture url is in the description" feature on the pictures and item page when I list. Usually I only have to click this once and it keeps applying to all the auctions I list after. This morning I noticed no icons on my auctions listed last week. I revised my auctions this morning and it took me an hour to do it and when I went to look no picture icons are there. What do I do now?
Thank you,
Nat
Community Member

THANKS SOOOO MUCH OSFD442!! IT WORKS.
Community Member

Can someone translate the "fix" into English? My level of computer sophistication is I can turn it on & off.

Seems strange to even my feeble brain that these little "problems" only show up when EBAY has been tweaking the system, adding features, etc. Maybe their time would be more well spent fixing all the existing problems & then leaving well enough alone for a while.

EBAY is fast loosing it's "fun" factor & becoming too much of a chore.
Community Member

peebles540,

1.) Search the Internet (Google) with the following keywords:
ad-aware 6 standard edition

2.) Click the first result

3.) Next page scroll down to "AD-AWARE 6 STANDARD EDITION" and click on one of the mirror DL sites

4.) Once downloaded and installed, just prior to your initial scan, click either the Globe icon (second from right top of Ad-Aware screen) or the text link "Check for updates now". Allow the most recent reference file to download.

5.) Familiarize yourself with the Help files and the quarantine process (should default to quarantine of removed items should you discover you disabled something you use)

6.) Scan your system

7.) You can ignore the Ad-Aware warning about Alexa

8.) Ad-Aware may alert you to your media players... If it does, all it wants to do is remove the unique ID from the players' registry entry (totally safe to remove or ignore)

9.) Allow Ad-Aware to remove everything else

10.) Sorry for the round-about instructions but eBay frowns on direct links to FREE useful products

11.) Any problems, questions, concerns send me an email:
goo@rockboss2000.mailshell.com

Good Luck!
jtshadow2000
Community Member

rockboss2000 ........I tried your security settings again and just like last time when I used them it disables many of the features that I need to use on eBay. I can't use the Customer Support forms or the Safeharbor forms and other features that require something that has been disabled. I had to go back and start with default and disable one at a time and check to see if I could still access the forms.

~~~Judy~~~

"Smile and the world Smiles with you"
Community Member

Hi jtshawdow2000,

Sorry, I cannot duplicate what you are experiencing... Have tried on three3 computers with identical settings.

Make sure that the adjustments you are making are in the "Restricted Sites" zone... Not the regular "Internet" zone. The tweak and URLs recommended only affect specific eBay servers located at:
http://banners.ebay.com
http://bibo.ebay.com
http://include.ebay.com
http://listings.ebay.com
http://search.ebay.com
http://search-completed.ebay.com
http://search.ebaymotors.com
http://search.stores.ebay.com
http://keyword.ebay.com
http://attr-search.ebay.com
http://www.ebay.com

The tweak will not interfer with any support/help file on eBay... Should you access "Help" while at one of the eBay servers listed above, "Help" will still open... It will not be a controled popup but a full browser window with all toolbars and buttons available. Accessing "Help" from any non-restricted eBay server will open a popup window.

Which leads me to believe that you may have inadvertently changed the settings within the "Internet" zone instead of the RS zone. Most of eBay's "Help" and contact forms are located on pages.ebay.com (as you can tell, not a restricted URL)... What is likely happening (if this is the case) is a request is denied by Internet Explorer for the support forms... To go from a "Help" page to a support/customer form on eBay the request must navigate accross different domains.

If you believe that you did not adjust the wrong zone and think it may be a cookie problem caused by the tweak, simply remove http://include.ebay.com from the "Restricted Sites" list. eBay has other adequate cookie downloads than to risk corruption with the cookie handling via include.ebay.com but that is a personal choice.

If you are certain that the settings were tweaked in the correct zone tell me the path you use to access the Customer Support forms or the Safeharbor forms and I will try again to duplicate.

Good Luck!
jtshadow2000
Community Member

Rockboss.......You were right, I was doing that in the internet zone and not in the restricted sites zone. It's working fine now. Thanks

~~~Judy~~~

"Smile and the world Smiles with you"
Community Member

For some reason I am having problems with ebay pictures. All of the pictures or icons now have a small white box that has a red X in it which is now next to small blue type. Is this an Ebay problem or mine?
Community Member

TECHIES@EBAY YOUR ON MY CHRISTMAS CARD LIST.,I GAVE UP YOUR CURE WORKS; NO ONE ELSE HAD A CLUE...... WOW
Community Member

IT WORKED! I never would have fiqured this out had I not read this post. This slowness manifested itself a few days ago and no one could troubleshootit. Simply unchecking the "Format documents......" did it. I also searched my system for that CSS Hijack file bootconf.exe but didn't find anything. I will definitely take the advice and download Ad-Aware. THANKS osfd442 and rockboss2000.