eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

1nathan1
Community Member

Sales down 60%, Profits Down 70% Since the Latest "Improvements"

I have been doing very well selling items in the $100 to $200 range for a couple years now. 

The last month has been TERRIBLE !!!

Because of the fee hikes, I have tried to raise my prices 3 or 4%.  My profit margin on the items that I sell without price increases has taken a huge hit, like 30% less profit or worse on sold items, and on the items where I have tried to raise prices to compensate for higher fees, my sales have almost completely disappeared during the last six weeks.

The other "improvement" that is killing me is the new default sorting order.

It used to be that eBay would remember that I want to sort by lowest price, but now every single search defaults to "best match".  My sales items used to come up at the top of every search, and now they are often at the bottom.

eBay, your "improvements" are destroying my business!!!

1nathan1
Community Member

Re: Sales down 60%, Profits Down 70% Since the Latest "Improvements"

in reply to 1nathan1

Yes, I am a small seller.  I have *only* done about $17,000 total revenue so far this year.

Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

We all need a viable, vibrant, exciting alternative selling site!

1nathan1
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

Dropping like a rock !!!

My page views are in the single digits per week on most of my recently listed auctions!

My items used to come up at the top of the search!

Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

1nathan1, I have to assume- and hope- that you aren't putting all your eggs into one basket in terms of focusing exclusively on ebay. There are other selling sites besides ebay, and it sounds like its time you experimented with listing some items on them (if you haven't already). As ebay  continues to sabotage their small sellers, there will be more and more posts like yours on here (and I've seen plenty on these boards already).

1nathan1
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

Yes, I list on other sites, and am also setting up my own site, but none of them come close to the views and sales volume that eBay USED to get for me just a couple months ago.

lighterguy6691
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

these smaller sites need to wake up and smell the coffee and realize that advertising is a good thing. advertising will bring in buyers which in turn will bring in sellers. i can not believe that who is running these companies can not figure that out. there is a reason McDonald's and coke and Budweiser spend millions of dollars every year on advertising. i would gladly pay a little more in fees to have them advertise on t.v. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ

There are few aneurysms in American business. Few companies drop dead. Instead, most endure a long slide into the grave. Harvard professor Clayton Christensen
inuk_the_polar_bear
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

eBay sales are increasing, so, if a seller is losing, another is gaining. My fees are down over the last year, a lot, for similar dollar volume.

I had a weird June. Some days were poor, others were great. On average I was fine.

I am trying to read about this Cassinni thing. Not real sure what is happening. Sounds like search has changed and the use of keywords is all different now.

What was working, isn't working any longer. Time to re-invent.

Got Woodie®
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

eBay sales are increasing,

So good to hear. Do you have a link to the sell through rate here that we all can see?

It would indeed put the old argument and debate to rest. ...

Items listed vs items sold. ....even category specific?

I will await your reply and link.

inuk_the_polar_bear
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

Koi, eBay revenues and profit are up 50% over the last two fiscal years. Q1 was up 14.4%. Go and look at the published and audited financial reports. If you can read them.

Got Woodie®
whartondoc
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

Koi, eBay revenues and profit are up 50% over the last two fiscal years. Q1 was up 14.4%. Go and look at the published and audited financial reports. If you can read them.

The above has little or no bearing on individual sellers' current circumstances.

There's only one thing that "trickles down" from their business model.

Ask any competent plumber.

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

It used to be that eBay would remember that I want to sort by lowest price, but now every single search defaults to "best match".  My sales items used to come up at the top of every search, and now they are often at the bottom.

Doesn't matter how your want to sort your views, it's how YOUR BUYERS see the search results that count. Learn how ebay works or you'll experience exactly what you're going through.

If your low prices can't close the deal or get your listings on the first page of Best Match, then you're really screwing up. I'm sure someone will come along soon and pick your listings apart.

Rely on another site to market your stuff won't get you anywhere. If they know how to beat ebay, they would have already.

1nathan1
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

eBay profits are MEANINGLESS to this discussion.  How many dozens times does it take to understand that? 

eBay makes more profit when sellers pay higher fees.  Sellers make LESS profit when sellers pay higher fees.  That seems pretty obvious.

1nathan1
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

Moose KaKa,  most BUYERS sort by lowest price, and that is how I got so many views.  Now eBay doesn't allow ANYONE to set their preference to lowest price, default search is Best Match, and that has nothing to do with price.  Most expensive result ends up at top of Best Match frequently.

1nathan1
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

I am trying to read about this Cassinni thing. Not real sure what is happening. Sounds like search has changed and the use of keywords is all different now.

What was working, isn't working any longer.

Yes, I am getting screwed by Cassini and 4% fee hikes simultaneously. 

Yes, 4% hike in my selling bracket, no use for anyone who pretends otherwise.

jake-square-deals
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

1st thing & maybe the most important thing....Dont EVER call a customer a liar, no matter what..doing that will only bite ya in the butt..Dont EVER do that

2nd is the neut that pertains to the quality of your product, as how can a brand new in the box item not be as described..you should have answered that.

Consider that how a small  seller responds to Negs & Neuts..is MORE important than what the buyer claims..& how you respond to them is >>>very important because a potential customer reads that & thinks....what happens if I have a problem?

now heres a TIP...if you increase your sales velocity, you can use follow-up FB to help push that onto page 2

never ever call your customer a LIAR in FB..No matter what the reason..it can be the kiss of derth to a small seller

.........................................................................................................................................

“Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.”

–George Washington Carver

volvo351
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

No surprise that profit decline outpaces the sales decline...that's attributable to the FEE INCREASE.  

What's at work here is feeble-minded GREED..eBay mis-management thinks they can help themselves to a larger and larger slice of the pie, and nobody will gripe about it.  

Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

No surprise that profit decline outpaces the sales decline...that's attributable to the FEE INCREASE.  

What's at work here is feeble-minded GREED..eBay mis-management thinks they can help themselves to a larger and larger slice of the pie, and nobody will gripe about it.  

No, what's at work here isn't feeble- minded at all, because you people just keep on listing and paying...

They've got to be high- fiving each other at eBay HQ: "Geeze, John, I can't believe these people are still falling for this $#@%!"

Renegade SOLIDARNOSC
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

Yes, I list on other sites, and am also setting up my own site, but none of them come close to the views and sales volume that eBay USED to get for me just a couple months ago.

Do you keep buying failing investments because the returns used to be so much better?

Renegade SOLIDARNOSC
Community Member

in reply to 1nathan1

Doesn't matter how your want to sort your views, it's how YOUR BUYERS see the search results that count. Learn how ebay works or you'll experience exactly what you're going through.

If your low prices can't close the deal or get your listings on the first page of Best Match, then you're really screwing up. I'm sure someone will come along soon and pick your listings apart.

Rely on another site to market your stuff won't get you anywhere. If they know how to beat ebay, they would have already.

They would, if only the sheeple wouldn't keep trying the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Here's the "AHA moment": What works for eBay in their grand scheme of things may not be what works for you. But, instead of telling you "We've moved on", eBay likes to see how long you are willing to keep paying for your lack of product, until one day they calculate that your revenue stream isn't paying enough for your bandwidth. At that point, you'll get the 'what are YOU still doing here??' letter that medium- big sellers like the movie poster guy got.

It's all about eBay. If a megaseller generates xxx dollars per wave in the bandwidth as opposed to your .x dollars per wave, who is gonna get the prime real estate, and who is going to get squeezed out of the market?

AND- we have to remember that the dollars are no longer all about just sales. They're about TRAFFIC that generates click- through and other revenue... "Money for nothing".

Yes, "excitement", "window shopping" and "traffic" used to be abstracts, but eBain has figured out how to turn it into dollars. These dollars are way more desirable than actual marketplace sales dollars, too, because there's basically no cost involved other than keeping the servers on.

Renegade SOLIDARNOSC