cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another thing to be aware of where ebay let you pay the price for their error

Follow along here:

The buyer bought an item and paid for it...ok, The label was generated by ebay with the buyer provided address information...and I printed and shipped the item, it goes through the postal service system and makes it all the way to the Long Beach branch and stalls...the buyer contacts me about where his item is, I check the tracking and the last scan at Long Beach says "Missent" I advise the buyer to contact  USPS to deliver his item, he contacted them and they told him it has the wrong zip code, and he sends me the correct zip code (ends in 806) so I check the shipping label and it is 806 which is his correct zip, so the label and zip was correct! Item still never shows up and the guy said USPS said they no longer have it, yet scanning shows nothing after the "Missent" and it has been 21 days., the buyer files a case INR and all the information is outlined along with the buyers messages.., ebay finds in favor of the buyer(as it should) but then charges me the refund they gave....while this is not my fault and would be their's for providing a label that the USPS declares Missent. I know how to get the shipping back, just call the CC company and dispute the charge as paying for a service and the service not being done as intended...(paid to have it delivered which was not done and technically violates the intended service purchased) and they give the money back..but getting my loss for the item back from ebay is the issue.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Looks to me like your issue is with the USPS, have you filed a request to find your package yet? Do so and see if you can get it diverted back to you.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Why not file a claim with USPS if they lost it?

Have a great day
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Sounds like you had eBay handle your INR, you should have refunded the buyer instead of having eBay do it. Bet you're going to see a defect for cases closed without a seller resolution.

Missent means the PO put the package on the wrong truck. 
If the item doesn't get delivered you can file a lost package claim through USPS. 
Lost Package claim USPS

File a Claim |USPS 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Why not file a claim with USPS if they lost it?

Exactly. This is the easiest claim to win with USPS because their own tracking shows that they failed to deliver it. Most of their shipping methods (especially Ground Advantage and Priority) offer up to $100 of coverage for free. The refund you are looking for should come from USPS and not Ebay.

@quicksilverdiecast : I see Missent status every now and then in my selling account but they usually get things back on track within a day or so. If 15 or more days go by with no further scans then you can file a missing mail claim. I think your package will probably resurface before then though.

When it does reappear they will continue routing it to delivery to your buyer unless you file a Package Intercept request with USPS. How much money is at stake here? If they successfully intercept it and return it to you there is a fee of $17.50 plus postage: https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I thought that too but both ebay and USPS said that until it gets scanned again and declared lost the claim will not go thru...and I have found that you get a much quicker response from USPS when you file a claim as stolen from within the postal service system...which is very possible, I do not rule anything out anymore...we had a batch that the USPS driver failed to scan upon pick up on April 1st/2nd and about 12 simply disappeared and never got to their buyers., and since the driver failed to follow USPS policy of scanning upon possession there is now no way to claim the insurance as the postal service claims they never took "possession" The Wash DC postal inspectors were advised of this theft and came down on the branch like a herd of turtles, what action taken against driver I do not know, but I can tell you they scan everything now as they take possession and are not happy about...PS Not to mention that if the driver fails to scan your item ebay will ding your account for not being scanned within "their" guidelines...which is also unfair as sellers have no way of forcing carriers to do their jobs properly....guess that is why Amazon delivers and takes pictures with their own system....

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@quicksilverdiecast wrote:

and since the driver failed to follow USPS policy of scanning upon possession there is now no way to claim the insurance as the postal service claims they never took "possession" 

Right but in this case there are plenty of tracking scans showing that it was in their possession and then they lost it.

That statement of theirs about 'until it gets scanned again and declared lost the claim will not go thru' is nonsense. If it gets scanned again then it is not lost. There is no such thing as getting 'scanned again and declared lost'. If 15 days go by without any activity in the tracking history then you will be able to file your claim on-line. Been there - done that - got the T-shirt.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

That statement of theirs about 'until it gets scanned again and declared lost the claim will not go thru' is nonsense. If it gets scanned again then it is not lost. There is no such thing as getting 'scanned again and declared lost'. If 15 days go by without any activity in the tracking history then you will be able to file your claim on-line. Been there - done that - got the T-shirt.

requoted for truth, emphasis, and a quick grin.......

I had tickets on that same plane........

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I let it run its course as I expected to see more info of it being MISSENT at where it ended up back to me or delivered or what and then the buyer filed a case where as I said it was all outlined and back to the basic if it was MISSENT it was caused by ebay providing a label that USPS declares missent, so I did not cause it to be missent or alter the label., I as well as you rely on ebay providing accurate information when shipping to the address ebay gives you, if that fails it gets real scary...If it was my mistake so be it accept it and move on but this is ebays baby and they should own it as their shortcomings caused it...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@quicksilverdiecast 

"...if it was MISSENT it was caused by ebay providing a label that USPS declares missent..."

completely wrong.....

The Postal Service defines misrouted or missent mail as mail sent from an originating facility to the wrong destinating facilityThe “missent” issue is usually identified because a worker has scanned the package and noticed that it is going in the wrong direction.

as far as ANY 3rd party printing labels, there are numerous 'checksums' and 'checkpoints' before a label can be approved for printing. They must pass through the USPS API database as a deliverable address before you can even print it. It is not often there are errors by the API and algorithms that establish postal addresses for labels. If there is, 99% of the time, it is input error by the user, and even then, it has to be an ACTUAL address.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@quicksilverdiecast wrote:

I let it run its course as I expected to see more info of it being MISSENT at where it ended up back to me or delivered or what and then the buyer filed a case where as I said it was all outlined and back to the basic if it was MISSENT it was caused by ebay providing a label that USPS declares missent, so I did not cause it to be missent or alter the label., I as well as you rely on ebay providing accurate information when shipping to the address ebay gives you, if that fails it gets real scary...If it was my mistake so be it accept it and move on but this is ebays baby and they should own it as their shortcomings caused it...

"Missent" is a sorting error; it is not an addressing error. When a post office flags a package as missent, the package goes back to the destination sort facility, where it's rerouted to the right place (generally, a different post office in the same area).

This does not indicate that the package address was incorrect. If you buy the label on-line, the address is verified against the USPS database at purchase time. (Notice that a buyer's 5-digit ZIP will magically expand to 9 digits when the label is printed, and sometimes minor changes to abbreviations are made at the same time.) But during its travels, sometimes a package can go into the wrong bin or land at the wrong post office, and when the problem is recognized, that's when you will see a Missent scan, and it has to go back for re-sorting.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You should have done your homework on tracking down the package and not rely on the buyer hunting it down. 

I would be curious what the USPS tracking shows today. Still stating missent or now delivered?

If you would have filled out a report with USPS of missing package, it will then get delivered to the buyer. (https://emailus.usps.com/s). 

Depending on the value of the item, should you file a recall with USPS and the item back? I believe the fee is around $18.00. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

"Missent" literally just means that the USPS sent it to the wrong post office. In 99% of cases it's corrected within 24 hours, because all they need to do is send it back to the destination sort facility so that it gets sent to the right PO instead.

eBay had nothing to do with it, that's all on the USPS.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply