eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
toysheik
Community Member

USPS free insurance on Priority Mail up to $50 starting July 28th.

[ Edited ]

So I was talking to my local USPS sales rep and discovered USPS will start including free insurance on all Priority mail packages up to $50 starting July 28th.

Considering they already give you free boxes, free pickups, free delivery confirmation and now free insurance this is a super service to start offering online shippers.

I am still looking forward to real time online tracking from them but I imagine this wont be anytime soon.

I dont know the full details on the insurance in regards to international shipping or as to which countries are excluded\included but anyway. there it is.

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

Re: USPS free insurance on Priority Mail up to $50 starting July 28th.

in reply to toysheik

The free insurance starting on July 28 is for DOMESTIC Priority Mail and, according to the USPS announcement will be for up to $50 or $100.  I'm not sure how the maximum will be designated or whether additional insurance will  be priced as it is now for Express Mail (at reduced rates for upward of $100).  It is also not clear if an insurance tag will be needed (whose number now replaces a tracking number) to identify the package.

The free domestic insurance will be available with both online and retail postage.

International Priority Mail already carries some automatic indemnity based on weight.  The amount starts at about $67 for 1 lb. and goes up to about $200 to all destinations.  It does not apply, however, to the small FRB or to the various FRE's.   The automatic indemnity is especially useful for packages going to some countries that do not allow additional insurance -- the UK is one of them.

I agree that including at least some insurance for domestic Priority Mail is a good idea that will save senders about $2 per package.   Those who now forego insurance (for whatever reason) will be able to file claims for small amounts and not have to absorb a loss.  Of course, if USPS continues to lose or damage packages, the number of claims will increase!

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to duchess-at-speakeasy

The $50.00 ins will be available to everyone  and the $100, will be available to anyone that receives the comm plus discounts, (High volume or TRS discounts)

ECommerce site (Auction bytes) ran an article on this a few days ago. They had spoken with ebay.

Please use plain text.
all*about*horses
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us
I asked the postmaster at a local PO about this a few days ago and she had no idea what it was. Said they had not received any information on this. She wondered if it only applied to online postage purchases?
Please use plain text.
toysheik
Community Member

in reply to all*about*horses

Post office will go public with this next week. I was invited to an event lunch for this here in NY by USPS and its next week when USPS emplyees and select businesses will learn more about this.

This is definately going to save us a little bit of money.

Please use plain text.
buynow*buynow
Community Member

in reply to toysheik

Thank you for the updates.

Reply may or may not be for the person the reply says but just because you were the last ID that posted to this thread when I started to reply to the thread.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to toysheik

toysheik wrote:

So I was talking to my local USPS sales rep and discovered USPS will start including free insurance on all Priority mail packages up to $50 starting July 28th.

Considering they already give you free boxes, free pickups, free delivery confirmation and now free insurance this is a super service to start offering online shippers.

I am still looking forward to real time online tracking from them but I imagine this wont be anytime soon.

I dont know the full details on the insurance in regards to international shipping or as to which countries are excluded\included but anyway. there it is.

Not to long ago, they started offering "real time" tracking. Up to 11 scans per package. Now whenever I get a package delivered, tracking online says "delivered" within an hour of actual delivery, most of the time sooner. It used to take them 1-2 days to update that it was delivered.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to duchess-at-speakeasy

duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

The free insurance starting on July 28 is for DOMESTIC Priority Mail and, according to the USPS announcement will be for up to $50 or $100.  I'm not sure how the maximum will be designated or whether additional insurance will  be priced as it is now for Express Mail (at reduced rates for upward of $100). 

~~C~~

Not 100, it's 50.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to be121209

be121209 wrote:

The free insurance starting on July 28 is for DOMESTIC Priority Mail and, according to the USPS announcement will be for up to $50 or $100.  I'm not sure how the maximum will be designated or whether additional insurance will  be priced as it is now for Express Mail (at reduced rates for upward of $100). 

~~C~~

Not 100, it's 50.

The insurance that is automatically included with domestic Express mail is $100. Here's the Domestic Insurance section from the current Notice 123. Sellers have reported that if they got the free Priority insurance for  $50 and wanted $99, they were charged for the full $2.45. 

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 11.18.52 AM.png

Please use plain text.
circa1901
Community Member

in reply to dolly9577

"Sellers have reported that if they got the free Priority insurance for $50 and wanted $99, they were charged for the full $2.45."

Yes, that's my experience.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to be121209

be121209 wrote:

~~C~~

Not 100, it's 50.

eBay sellers that ship at commercial plus rates get $100.

Please use plain text.