eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

all4saleny
Community Member

J.C. & S - Jos. Cook & Son(s) maybe? Also what are these stones? Cute Kitty

I posted this over on the Jewelry & Gems board and they suggested I try here and ask for CUTE KITTY...

I recently acquired this J.C. & S. pin.  It was worn on a Nova Scotia Tartan kilt for the longest time.  The little bit of research I did showed it might be a Joseph Cook & Son pin, but there is no hallmark.  I'm really out of my element (I sell women's pre-owned clothing and usually post over on the CAB board), so I'm wondering if anyone can offer any info.

I'm also don't know about stones.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
5200049444_IMG_3280.JPG
5200049445_IMG_3275.JPG
Community Member

Re: J.C. & S - Jos. Cook & Son(s) maybe? Also what are these stones? Cute Kitty

in reply to all4saleny

I believe Joseph Cook and Sons was Scottish or British.  If the piece were by them there would be the silver purity mark 925 with the appropriate hallmarks.

owl4343
Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Emerald is correct - if this is British, it would have 4 marks on it, in accordance with hallmarking law.  City, purity, year, and maker marks.

This site shows the J Cook & Sons mark to be different - the style of lettering is not the same:

http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksj.html

And here's another piece on ebay where you can see the 4 stamps on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-EDWARDIAN-SILVER-BRACELET-JC-S-J-COOK-SONS-BIRMINGHAM-1913-/190647968761?pt=Vintage_Costume_Jewelry&hash=item2c638123f9

I will look in my US trademark book on Monday, it's at work.

all4saleny
Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Emerald is correct - if this is British, it would have 4 marks on it, in accordance with hallmarking law.  City, purity, year, and maker marks.

This site shows the J Cook & Sons mark to be different - the style of lettering is not the same:

http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksj.html

And here's another piece on ebay where you can see the 4 stamps on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-EDWARDIAN-SILVER-BRACELET-JC-S-J-COOK-SONS-BIRMINGHAM-1913-/190647968761?pt=Vintage_Costume_Jewelry&hash=item2c638123f9

I will look in my US trademark book on Monday, it's at work.

Thanks Owl, thanks Emerald, I really do appreciate all the info.  Will look forward to Monday to see what you find!

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/imagesLZ/Victorian/vict28065b.jpg

Found something interesting.  Was on the Morning Glory web page, and found this piece with the JC&S manufacturers mark and sterling, just like the OP's piece.

It does not have the typical British hallmarks.

owl4343
Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Emerald, the style of lettering in the maker's mark is different than the OP's, though, so we still can't say for sure who made it.

But that one on Morning Glory is a Cook & Son's, because that lettering is their mark.  I wonder if it was legal to make jewelry without all of the hallmarks if it was for export?

Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Ebay is eating posts again.  I had made another post asking that same question OWL on whether pieces of jewelry for export to the States might not require the hallmarks.

I also thought that maybe an heir moved to the US to carry on the name and makers mark but then used our purity mark.  I found a john cook out of New York, but his mark is different.

Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Lads and Lasses, this is a Scottish Dirk called a "Sgian Dubh. " pronounced " sci-an due ", a close effort at it. So one would think the firm you are looking for would be Scottish as it is a pretty piece that would also sell as a souvenir. J.

Charm Affair or Charm
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Scotland has the same hallmarking requirements as England.

owl4343
Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Jacob Cohen and Sons Jewelry

So this could be Jacob Cohen and Son Jewelry.

This shows the lettering font is very plain, like your trademark, with no periods after each letter.

They were out of business by the time of my book, 1994, with no known adress.

There is a Jacob Cohen Sons listed in NY in the 1920 Jeweler's Circular :

http://books.google.com/books?id=t1UcAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA107&lpg=PA107&dq=jacob+cohen+and+son+jewelry&source=bl&ots=R-YZPGCHIN&sig=pq0EeZF6sN3FfdabzK5oZ2cxfHk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6YUgUKb5KevpiwLl-YGICg&ved=0CEoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=jacob%20cohen%20and%20son%20jewelry&f=false

all4saleny
Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Thanks owl, for taking the time & trouble to research this for me, yes it looks as if it could be them.

Thanks to everyone for the interesting and valuable info, it really helped me a lot - you're all terrific!

Community Member

in reply to all4saleny

Good catch, Owl.  Those 3 little letters were bugging me too.

I think it also underscores that for people asking for identification  of their makers marks, we need to see it.  I did not realize since I starting looking them up that many share the same letters, with just subtle differences such as placement, script, even a period, telling them apart.