eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

I have all kinds of gemstones need help selling them

I have a beautifull collection of gemstones that i have being collecting for a while but now i need to sell them. Any tips on how to sell gemstomes on ebay? I have tourmalin alot of it blue sapphire, african ruby, kunzite, ruby, tanzanite, star sapphire and spinel what would anyone recommend on how to sell them beacuse i have no idea. i just order a gemstone scale to help me a bit. Any replies will be very helpfull thank you.

Please use plain text.
pre1840lorraine
Community Member

Re: I have all kinds of gemstones need help selling them

in reply to bestfamily.2013

I would suggest looking at closed listings and see what they are selling for. You would need to know the ct weight, give the mm size, tell the cut and list any flaws that you are aware of. Your best bet would be to list as a buy it now listing for 30 days and go from there. Good luck, there are so many listing for gems now that I would not count on them being a fast seller. There are so many fake gemstones that are listed for a little of nothing, that buyers are thinking that they are getting a really good deal but are getting glass instead but most don't even know the difference.

Please use plain text.
volemus
Community Member

I recently chatted with someone who was selling off part of her large collection. They were all too small for me but I watched some of them just to see but none sold. I think she had a little bit too high expectations of what she'd get for them here. It's true, those bastages from Asia selling fake junk certainly doesn't help to keep prices up.

Please use plain text.
volemus
Community Member

Just wanted to add, that *good* pictures are key. All flaws should be photographed so folks know what they're getting. Describe them to death - anything you know about them - weight, color, clarity, who graded them, dimensions, origin, fluorescence, treatments, if they're calibrated, etc.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
volemus
Community Member

Last thought - people love gems that are video'd from all angles. Like on one of those little turning platforms. They're more confident they'll be getting what they're seeing & not just seeing images of only the "sweet spots." Don't know if that'd be an option for you but thought it'd be worth mentioning. Especially true with stones like opals. (Even then sometimes seems like I can't get one that doesn't look like it's been misrepresented.)

(And yes, it often takes me several posts to get anything out.)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

wow all this is very helpfull thank you for all the tips everyone

Please use plain text.