eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Large Solid Brass Columbian Vise

I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on this vise. My Dad wants me to list it for him (he collects and sells tools, but I have no idea about things like this).
He purchased this at an auction, said it came from the Mobile Oil Refinery. It is solid brass and is marked:
The Columbian Cat No. 204 1/2 Vibe & MFG Co. Cleveland OH USA
Can anyone give me any information on this, value, et cet era. I know how much my Dad wants for it, but I really just want some additional insight before I list it. I have it on craigslist right now with a couple people interested in it, but I am just wondering if this is something special or not.
http://image-hosting.hostwire.com/images/jsjford/dscn2033.jpg
http://image-hosting.hostwire.com/images/jsjford/dscn2043.jpg
Any help would be great!
Thanks, Stephanie
Please use plain text.
diesel_parts
Community Member

in reply to mo-ledge-antiques
Refineries use brass tools when workers are working in an area that a spark could ignite fumes. Brass doesn't spark when struck. The width of the jaws = the size of the vise.

You should consider the weight when putting a value on it. Brass in my area is bringing $1.50 per pound. If vise weighs 50 pounds then it's worth $75.00 for scrap. Someone may want it for a collectable or to use. A brass vise is stronger than a cast steel vise.

Bill
billphil.

I sell parts
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mo-ledge-antiques
I have exactly the same vic,e as you, my number is 604. but i would check your vice if im not mistaken it is cleveland ou S.A. that is south africa and not america

Bryan
Please use plain text.