cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Restoration

I am looking to see if this could possibly be fixed. I found this necklace in a lot of jewelry I purchased and it is perfect expect for these two missing panels. 

I searched for Damascene and Amita restoration but nothing came up, just tips on how to clean it. 

I wasn’t sure if you could buy replacement panels or if anyone has seen panels sold by themselves. Or is my only option was to harvest from another broken pieces. 

5DD60884-46BF-48E9-93DA-0E8AFE623EAF.jpeg

46B2C687-F67B-40F7-8F0C-F2581E25F368.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Help with Restoration

Assuming you won't find the exact pieces, this is an easy fix if you don't mind loosing some length in this great find (it looks like you have enough length). Get out your tools and take out the missing pieces including one of the small round ones and reattach to continue the pattern. Anyone looking would be none the wiser. Hope ths helps. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This was my first thought but after a closer look I saw the links are soldered shut and I wanted to preserve them as much as I could. I am unsure if I cut them they would be strong enough to hold together with a split. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Could you refill the empty spaces with solid black? Wound't be that noticeable, if you could get some black enamel.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yes, if your intention is to wear it, my suggestion would be to take it to a jeweler and have the two damaged plaques changed out for the two nearest the nape of the neck.   That would maintain the visual integrity of the necklace from the front (although it would then be a bit shorter in length.)  

Debora

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If you are planning on wearing it yourself then I would take the rings out with some metal clippers and take the damaged panels out. Then replace them with some jump rings that you can get at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Personally, what you would probably spend to have a jeweler do this would be more expensive than the necklace is worth. Although it is very pretty, there are many of these out there and they are not very expensive. Or, as someone else suggested, I would just get some black enamel (from the two previous mentioned stores) and paint in the spots with the missing panels. If you are creative, you could even get some silver or gold paint and try to copy the design that is on the panels. Paint that on top of the black enamel.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If you really want to go yard on this, you could fill in the blanks with that craft epoxy stuff, paint it black, and then decorate.  Fimo clay would be good too, but it's heat set and I don't know how well the other metal would take to being heated up.  It might damage the gold finish. Otherwise I'd just grab the black nail polish and have at.(LOL)  If the pieces are soldered together I wouldn't cut anything.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 7
latest reply