cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fees Are Pure Greed

If  you go to the e-bay fee calculator that shows current fees compared to the new fees staring April 16th it pretty shocking for the amateur hobbyist guitar-seller.  If you don't have an e-bay store (because you don't sell that much) and are just a small hobby seller the new fee structure will put a total end to selling high end guitars on e-bay. For example if you sell a $3,000 guitar in a fixed price listing that cost $65 to ship, the current fee is $104.30. The new fee starting April 16th is $250. That's an extra $145.70. Wow! I remember a couple years ago it only cost $50 to sell a high end guitar. I'm sorry but these new fees are nothing more than total greed anyway you slice it.  Shame on you e-bay.  Why are you so greedy? X-(

Message 1 of 133
latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

Re: New Fees Are Pure Greed

True re Etsy, Craigslist and Bonanza not being auction sites. I have actually sold a few items on Tradesy though. Right now I have a Louis Vuitton purse I want to post but an having trouble authenticating it and I am very afraid to do so w/o authentication first. Anyone know of someone who will authenticate cheap or free?

Message 106 of 133
latest reply

My advice is to not sell anything on ebay you can't afford to lose. That bag looks like it might fit that description.

There's another forum I visit regularly, purse forum. There are sellers there who have lost expensive bags like that and not even gotten them back. All the buyer had to do was claim it was fake. PayPal refunded the buyers & told them to destroy the bag....there is a policy of not returning fakes since they could then be relisted. yeah I'm sure the buyer destroyed it...not.

Anyhoo...there are some folks on the purse forum who will authenticate purses if you post photos.  To answer your question. And I want to make it clear, I'm not telling you to make a transaction off ebay which is against this discussion posting guidelines. I am telling you where you can possibly get your bag authenticated for free.

Message 107 of 133
latest reply

I totally agree about the Final Value shipping fee.  I don't get that.  I use Paypal's shipping site, not Ebay's and it's my label!  Can someone please explain the rationale behind the shipping fee?

To absorb the 30c listing fee I've started increasing my listing with each re-list.  It works like this:  Original listing is $1.00.  If I relist and charged 30c, I add 30c = 1.30 and so on and on.

It seems to be working, buyers buy at the final list price.

That's the only way I can absorb the fees.

Otherwise, if an item is $1.00 and it's relisted 10 times that's $3 which puts me in the hole.

@tisherself33 wrote:

I agree with the majority about the fees.  What I don't understand is why they take out fees for postage (or what a seller lists for postage, using they're own boxes,etc.,)  It's like we're being punished for doing the shipping ourselves.

In response to your comments regarding greedy sellers;  Yes, I'm sure there are some, but I shipped out a large item that cost me $7 more than what I expected and I still have to pay "so-called" shipping percentage to ebay.  Not only did I jip myself $7, ebay has to get their share as well!   "Live and learn." LOL!!!

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 108 of 133
latest reply

@liw48 wrote:

I totally agree about the Final Value shipping fee.  I don't get that.  I use Paypal's shipping site, not Ebay's and it's my label!  Can someone please explain the rationale behind the shipping fee?

To absorb the 30c listing fee I've started increasing my listing with each re-list.  It works like this:  Original listing is $1.00.  If I relist and charged 30c, I add 30c = 1.30 and so on and on.

It seems to be working, buyers buy at the final list price.

That's the only way I can absorb the fees.

Otherwise, if an item is $1.00 and it's relisted 10 times that's $3 which puts me in the hole.

Why not just do the opposite?? Why have to edit the price every time??
If you are averaging 10 relists, add the $3.00 upfront. If it sells sooner, great. If not, you've already calculated it in.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 109 of 133
latest reply

Looks like your other topic got locked.

In the past, ebay didn't change FVF on shipping fees, so sellers were listing items at 99 cents with $20,$30,$100 shipping.

It was a way to avoid ebay fees. ebay put a stop to it by charging fees on total sale price.

Local pickup doesn't have shipping, so fees on shipping wouldn't be due on those.

Message 110 of 133
latest reply

If craigslist put up online auctions at competitive prices they'd surpass ebay!

Message 111 of 133
latest reply

@suzybuttons1 wrote:

If craigslist put up online auctions at competitive prices they'd surpass ebay!

Right because we all want to buy/sell just from/to people who live near us. [smh]

Message 112 of 133
latest reply

I agree some people were gaming the system by selling cheap and jacking up shipping. Well, there is an easy fix for this: charge FVF on whichever is higher! 

It is outrageous that they charge FVF on both! They keep encouraging people to give free shipping or low-priced shipping while postal rates go through the roof! Well Ebay, many of us sellers sell items that are too inexpensive to absorb a Free Shipping hit. Especially when you don't back us at all unless we have a tracking number. How do we keep prices down when you slap a 10% fee on our shipping charge? You've heard of the carrot and the stick? All we get from Ebay as sellers is the stick!  

Ebay is also penalizing its buyers by discouraging large numbers of listing. Even with 2500 listings in my store, I am excluding probably another 1500 items because I don't want to pay $75 MONTHLY for some perhaps less popular items on top of the $179 store subscription I already pay. So customers are finding it harder and harder to find that less popular item on Ebay. You used to find just about anything! For $179/month I should be able to list as many items as I want.

What really infuriates me is when they try act like they are making things better for sellers, when in fact they are making things much worse with every new policy if you read the fine print. We are not as stupid as they think and I find it insulting!

Message 113 of 133
latest reply

I sell-buy on a few other sites Amazon's fees are the same, maybe a bit higher.

Poshmark ( which is filled with kids..ugh) fees there  are 20%

CL is just plain scary

Fees: you're gonna have em, you got em, so make it work 

@royalfoils wrote:

I agree some people were gaming the system by selling cheap and jacking up shipping. Well, there is an easy fix for this: charge FVF on whichever is higher! 

It is outrageous that they charge FVF on both! They keep encouraging people to give free shipping or low-priced shipping while postal rates go through the roof! Well Ebay, many of us sellers sell items that are too inexpensive to absorb a Free Shipping hit. Especially when you don't back us at all unless we have a tracking number. How do we keep prices down when you slap a 10% fee on our shipping charge? You've heard of the carrot and the stick? All we get from Ebay as sellers is the stick!  

Ebay is also penalizing its buyers by discouraging large numbers of listing. Even with 2500 listings in my store, I am excluding probably another 1500 items because I don't want to pay $75 MONTHLY for some perhaps less popular items on top of the $179 store subscription I already pay. So customers are finding it harder and harder to find that less popular item on Ebay. You used to find just about anything! For $179/month I should be able to list as many items as I want.

What really infuriates me is when they try act like they are making things better for sellers, when in fact they are making things much worse with every new policy if you read the fine print. We are not as stupid as they think and I find it insulting!

Message 114 of 133
latest reply

It won't be long before a Mark Zuckerburg type figures out a new and better way to get it done.

Ebay will be a dinosaur just like Blockbuster video.

Blockbuster got so greedy at the end it just gave Netflix a huge advantage when all the people were ready to get out.

Fees to rewind, late fees, fees fees fees.

It spelled the end for Blockbuster and Ebay is no exception.

I can't wait to laugh at them when all their giant paychecks go to zilch all at once.

Good luck Ebay.

Can't wait to see you go up in smoke.

Message 115 of 133
latest reply

It turns out now, that Ebay even charges you a fee if you end the auction early and someone has bid on the item.

You now have to pay Ebay a fee to keep something you already own.

Bite me Ebay.

Message 116 of 133
latest reply

"It turns out now, that Ebay even charges you a fee if you end the auction early and someone has bid on the item."

Yes, because ebay doesn't like it when you mess with buyers. You get one 'pass' per year. That should be enough.
Message 117 of 133
latest reply

@mikethercplaneguy wrote:

It turns out now, that Ebay even charges you a fee if you end the auction early and someone has bid on the item.

Bite me Ebay.

Why list it in the first place, if you wanted to keep it, or was it that the price it was about to sell for was lower than you wanted.

As stated by Jim, you get one pass... one too many passes in my opinion, if you list and it gets one (1) single bid from a buyer...

it's not your's anymore. The stunt you pulled leads buyers to believe all sellers are dishonest. You are right though, eBay should

not have charged you a Fee for cheating the Buyer... they should have NARU'd you.

Message 118 of 133
latest reply

@bronx-dog wrote:

@mikethercplaneguy wrote:

Bite me Ebay.

Why list it in the first place, if you wanted to keep it, or was it that the price it was about to sell for was lower than you wanted.

As stated by Jim, you get one pass... one too many passes in my opinion, if you list and it gets one (1) single bid from a buyer...

it's not your's anymore. The stunt you pulled leads buyers to believe all sellers are dishonest. You are right though, eBay should

not have charged you a Fee for cheating the Buyer... they should have NARU'd you.

Bronx doesn't sugar coat things & he is right.

Don't end auctions early when they have bids. Set your starting price at an amount you can live with  ( but don't inflate it) in case your auction only gets one bid which is common now.

Message 119 of 133
latest reply

I actually have a way for ebay to have good faith and not charge us on shipping fees.

Of course they can impliment a program to take care of this.

The reason they charge fees on shipping was the sellers who sold a 99 cent item with

$20 shipping, that way they didn't pay fees on anything but 99 cents.

So they could start a program that on any printed label the system will not charge 10% final value fees on that.

Simple.

Message 120 of 133
latest reply