cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My very bad selling experiences on Ebay

When I first joined ebay I was very thrilled to start selling and everything. My mother has been a member of ebay since 1999 I believe, which was when Ebay was in its hayday and it was great. I think I must have had retrospective memory about ebay when I joined in 2010, because its clearly a shadow of its former self, especially with all the scammers who ruined it .

1. When I sold a couple of things, Paypal placed very very wrong 21 day hold on all my payments from buyers. I had to constantly call paypal daily to request them to release my funds. At one point, one of my buyers had to call the buffoons at Paypal to explain they got their item and all was good.

2. Fees: Ebay should be renamed Feebay, the amount of fees they have on ebay are excessive. For instance, 50 cents for a subtitle on an auction, reallly? With all the members they have, they couldnt ease up on their fees?

3. Scammers: I had a nigerian scammer come on ebay and buy an auction but never payed and caused me all sorts of trouble following after.

4.  Deliquent Buyers A person came on and won an auction and never payed. I had to open a unpaid item case and the person was making all sorts of excuses.

5.  Poor treatment of Sellers: Ebay treats their sellers like criminals, Ebay treats its so badly that its enough to never come back to ebay. This is epecially when a buyer starts claiming things like the item was damaged or something else. Ebay will go in and hold onto your money in Paypal until the case is closed. Then they will predictibly rule in favor of the buyer.

6. No Negative or not even neutral feedback for buyers: This is just a total injustice. If there are buyers going around scamming people like damaging items and making not as described cases, sellers will not be aware of it though feedback.  Bad buyers will continue to scam sellers. Sure there is a report feature but it doesnt let sellers be aware of the bad buyer.

7. Have to use Paypal: Ebay extremely limits choices of payments other than Paypal which is also BTW owned by ebay thus they are the same company essentially. Ebay can easily go into paypal and screw with your bank account.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: My very bad selling experiences on Ebay

@lctb51 wrote:

When I first joined ebay I was very thrilled to start selling and everything. My mother has been a member of ebay since 1999 I believe, which was when Ebay was in its hayday and it was great. I think I must have had retrospective memory about ebay when I joined in 2010, because its clearly a shadow of its former self, especially with all the scammers who ruined it .

1. When I sold a couple of things, Paypal placed very very wrong 21 day hold on all my payments from buyers. I had to constantly call paypal daily to request them to release my funds. At one point, one of my buyers had to call the buffoons at Paypal to explain they got their item and all was good.

2. Fees: Ebay should be renamed Feebay, the amount of fees they have on ebay are excessive. For instance, 50 cents for a subtitle on an auction, reallly? With all the members they have, they couldnt ease up on their fees?

3. Scammers: I had a nigerian scammer come on ebay and buy an auction but never payed and caused me all sorts of trouble following after.

4.  Deliquent Buyers A person came on and won an auction and never payed. I had to open a unpaid item case and the person was making all sorts of excuses.

5.  Poor treatment of Sellers: Ebay treats their sellers like criminals, Ebay treats its so badly that its enough to never come back to ebay. This is epecially when a buyer starts claiming things like the item was damaged or something else. Ebay will go in and hold onto your money in Paypal until the case is closed. Then they will predictibly rule in favor of the buyer.

6. No Negative or not even neutral feedback for buyers: This is just a total injustice. If there are buyers going around scamming people like damaging items and making not as described cases, sellers will not be aware of it though feedback.  Bad buyers will continue to scam sellers. Sure there is a report feature but it doesnt let sellers be aware of the bad buyer.

7. Have to use Paypal: Ebay extremely limits choices of payments other than Paypal which is also BTW owned by ebay thus they are the same company essentially. Ebay can easily go into paypal and screw with your bank account.

1. IOW followed their clearly published policy.  Were you unaware. (I ask because you seem to be.)

2.  So ....$.50 for subtitles is the best you can come upt with?  You do know they charge you 10% FVF, don't you?

3.  You may not know what the Nigerian scam is -- otoh why would you list something to ship to Nigeria?

4.  So you availed yourself ot the policies of this obnoxious company?

5.  They threw you in jail?  OTOH, did you not know what the policies were before you listed?  (I bet you did)

6. Ain't it awful?

7.  See 6.

sent from my ebay fanboy machine

I know.  Don't feed the troll, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

@komokwa wrote:

oh what the heck........

Craigy List............

1. buyer never shows up at the mall 20 minutes from your home, where you've been waiting for over an hour.

2. buyer shows up drunk.

3 buyer shows up high on crack in the mall parking lot and dents your car to the tune of $ 1200....and flees the scene.

4. buyer shows up 30 minutes late and demands to pay with paypal.

5. buyer shows up.....in a Fiat 500 , to pick up your snowblower that will not fit in his car. ..Says thanks...and leaves.....

6. buyer calls you asking if you'll accept $50 for your $588 mountain bike.  You politely say no thank you.....whereupon he starts a rant that curls your toes and makes hookers blush two states over.

7. your listed items just sit there and never sell.

oh...........and there's more.....

Bless your heart, komo, I needed a good laugh. The Fiat situation, now that is priceless.

I will add:

8. Have to bump your CL ad on a constant basis to keep it near the top.

9. Potential buyers talking to you like you're an ax murderer while discussing meeting locations after they called you.

10. Potential buyers keep butt dialing you after your number is in their phone, when you've finally fallen asleep.

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

Craigslist, what a great venue. [/sarcasm]

I had two Canon SLR cameras to sell, so I did a Craigslist three weeks ago. I got one reply from a scammer, and one from a guy who was ready to meet and buy it, then kept emailing for a discount.

I finally said "bleep tihs", and listed one on eBay, fixed price (IPR, of course), for $50 more than my Craigslist price. It sold in 24 hours. A day later, I listed the second one, same price, and it sold in 8 hours. I did this on my buying account, so PayPal did the 21-day hold, but both payments were released to me on the 3rd day after delivery. And even after the fees, I made more money than I would have on CL, didn't have to drive around, and didn't have to worry about getting mugged by some crackhead.

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

I only use Craig's List for selling something too heavy or bulky to ship.  I'll admit it's sort of scary, making a time and place away from where I live...but the few things I've sold worked out well.  

I was helping someone sell a car recently, and I listed it 4 weeks in a row, asking $6000 for a 35th Anniversary Corvette.  I had a dozen great photos, and a complete and accurate description.  Every Monday, I'd get emails, offering me $4000.  One guy wrote, "I'll pay you $5000 CASH if you bring it to me by tonight."  He lived a 2 hour drive away.  I was thinking if the idiot wants the car, he needs to come see it himself.  I got at least 6 emails, "I like it, I want to come see it!"  I'd reply within an hour to arrange a time, and they never answered back.

After weeks of these lowball and insulting offers (when I did not state I was taking offers) he sold it to someone in his condo complex who happened to see it outside and commented, "Nice car."  He said it was for sale, so the guy offered cash and came to get it the next day.  There you go! 

Craig's List is basically hit or miss....mostly miss.  Of course I'd never sell jewelry or expensive electronics, and I always meet the Buyer in a big public parking lot.

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

I have both bought and sold on craigslist with no issues or problems, so I am sure alot of it depends on what your selling and maybe a little luck.  I sold 2 cars on there with no issues or problems, some furniture and I bought some furniture and bought a car off craigslist.  I have also made the mistake of buying a car on ebay and will never do that one again.  The car was a problem from word go and remained a problem till I sold it on craigslist.   The thing with craigslist is you absolutely have to be carefull , but for large items it works well.  Clothing on craigslist is a major pain in the rear, since I sell alot of formals at prom season I tried selling on craigslist and having these teenage girls and their moms coming to my house and trying on dresses, it was a major hastle and this year I decided not to do that again.  With all the hastles and problems on ebay its still much easier to sell small items that are easily shipped on ebay. 

The biggest thing with selling on ebay is to learn the rules and how to protect yourself, once you do that for the most part its a breeze.

Message 20 of 50
latest reply

Is this the "Bash Craigslist" thread? Great, because I hate CL.

I have sold stuff on CL, but it is usually such a huge headache. I agree with a lot of the comments about the best way to go about things on both ebay and CL. 

I have had mostly good luck on ebay and if people would only communicate and/or pay for their items, I would have ZERO problems with ebay except maybe how the fees have gone up.

Still, CL is free and with that freedom comes a lot of BS that goes along with it. Really, my biggest problem is I live about 1.5 hours from the nearest major city and no one wants to drive here, even for a good deal or a unique HTF item. I often have to drive 40 to 80 miles round trip to meet someone and most of the time it is to sell something large so I have to drive my big truck (crew cab 4x4 Chevy) that gets about 15 mpg, so if I don't sell the item because they don't like it or if they don't show up, I am out at least $10 in gas.

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

Untitled photo Untitled-1.jpg

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

ebay should be about the buyer and seller.... if there is less and less people willing to sell and put up with lameness... in the 21st century...   then you can have all the buyers. not gonna make much difference......  it's goning to turn into another walmart...  dropship site...  no small business... i mean small not under 10$ million that the govt considers small business...

thus taking the color and eccentricity out of the biggest marketplace online....  luckily there are tons of free sites popping up everywhere....not gonna mention names but ebay is getting a run for their $... why all the new adjustments and more and more free listing promotions?   what i dont get is.. if they sub out the phone work for pennies on the $...   why charge all these fees?  who is getting rich?  the stockholders?

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

"craigslist where you aren't treated like a baby and a criminal "

in myexperience on craiglist you more likely to BE DEALING with babies and criminals...

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

I agree.  When you tell the buyer to send the item back for a FULL refund and that you will give them their money back as soon as it is received, you do stop some bad buyers who want you to "discount" the item.  Very often they will never contact you again once they realize you're not falling for the "not as described" ploy.  As a matter of fact, I tell them directly that they don't have to make up a story to get their money back (it has stains, tears, dirty, etc.).  Just tell me you don't like it and your money will be returned.   Sometimes it's very obvious they are using the threat of bad feedback if you don't make them happy.  And happy means they get a perfect item for 1/2 the price it sold for.  Don't fall for it.  Stand by the items you sell and get them back.  You can always re-list them and sell them again to a nicer person.  I personally love it when a buyer likes my stuff.  After all, it's my stuff.    Why be out the item and the money?   

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Actually, a buyer can leave negative feedback today even if a transaction was cancelled and no money changed hands.  And not being able to leave bad feedback for dishonest buyers hurts everyone on ebay and makes it a much scarier place to do business.  Because of bad buyers, sellers won't ship to certain areas, won't sell certain items, have to charge more for shipping & insurance, etc.  Ebay has trained bad buyers to get worse and worse--just like bad kids.  No consequences for bad behavior gets you worse behavior.  That is not pining for the good old days--that is a fact of human nature no matter how you spin it. 

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

I love Craig's List.  I sell most of my breakable and heavy items on CL and have never had a problem.  Now, I do make up the rules:  I set the meeting time & place; I don't discount an item when the potential buyer shows up and trys to get a bargain; I don't put up with rude behavior; I choose the method of communication.  And don't tick me off in the beginning, because you'll never even get to see the item. The key is training.  Train your buyers to behave and they will--if they want the item.  Take control of your own business.  It is your business.  Everyone who ever actually bought anything from me on CL left very, very happy because they got a great item at a great price.  Everyone else got shown the door and learned something in the process.  My hope is that they were a little more courteous  to the next seller they encountered.  Pay it forward, as they say. 

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

Everyone else got shown the door and learned something in the process.  My hope is that they were a little more courteous  to the next seller they encountered.

u would like to think so.......but chances r that's not what would happen.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 28 of 50
latest reply

I must be in the minority. I've always gotten paid and never had any buyer issues. Just a few things that have happened during shipping.

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

For a seller still offering a No Returns policy.....

it's only a matter of time !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 30 of 50
latest reply