cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

Re: Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I hear a lot of reasons why it is fine for eBay to do what they do. I look at it as , YES eBay is the only real game in town, yes they do this, and yes they do that...but is that an excuse to keep tightening the screws? They are and have always been quite profitable since they started...I have seen no real "need" to milk the people who hand them all this money. They may be now....but will not always be the only "game in town".

I don't make a living doing this...I sell a few items occasionally, so I don't think any brick or mortar comparison applies....rather I feel the "yard sale" equation applies more. Chinese imports with 99¢ price and $29.99 shipping did not build eBay...the little guys selling the stuff in their garage did. Ignoring the little guys concerns is a BIG mistake if you ask me. With increases being what they have been in the past, how many years before final value fees hit 35-40% ? How many small sellers will remain when that happens? And when eBay is left with nothing but the import stores they have been favoring, where will they be? I already see a significantly smaller selection of items I have browsed for years.
Message 181 of 356
latest reply

John You will not get any understanding here, they all are Ebay cheerleaders. But take a look at their feedback numbers, how low they are and also see how many items they have listed thats what defines cheerleaders . Lovelaughs is one of the best sellers in here Good Luck

Hi Dave & welcome back to The Part Timers Forum!

I have a great idea. Try the links below to find some places your posts will be better recieved:

I hate EBAY

I HATE EBAY........................................................

I hate Ebay!!!

I hate eBay!

I'd find more for you but I have run out to pick up a few items........

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 182 of 356
latest reply

I can truthfully compare this to a b & m store, as I recently retired from one - and I had ebay running the whole time, for over ten years.

If items didn't sell in the store, or weren't appropriate for my girly-girl glass & china antiques/vintage shop, then I brought them here.

and I am a small seller now, but I do enjoy it - and the costs are not prohibitive IMO.

Happy Sales To You!.....Until We Sell Again!
Message 183 of 356
latest reply

tammyanddaveky
Enthusiast
John You will not get any understanding here, they all are Ebay cheerleaders. But take a look at their feedback numbers, how low they are and also see how many items they have listed thats what defines cheerleaders . Lovelaughs is one of the best sellers in here Good Luck

HMMM...Did you catch the PT and realize it means Part time??? Just wondered.
Live to Ride and Ride to Live:)
Message 184 of 356
latest reply

tammyanddaveky
Enthusiast
Hey all.....just had to say...bottom line

"It is what it is" and "You gotta do what you gotta do!"

RT:)
Live to Ride and Ride to Live:)
Message 185 of 356
latest reply

My 2 cents:

I think the economy excuse ois overblown and here is a good example.

My buddy Owned a I sold it on E-bay store and his business picked up once the economy went down. People were coming in by the droves to help with pay bills. He was doing great until 2008 when the fees went up, Repeat customers walked out his door after he informed them of the new fee structure and how little their profit would be. Store closed not because of lack product but sellers unwilling to pay higher fees.

next point or 3 cents however you want to put it

I have posted many times about making my return as a full time seller, i do get helpfull advise but I have noticed 60% of the respnses or negative in nature and not helpfull.......... So i will say it again "if you got nothing nice or helpfull to say don't say at all.

B-) nuff said

"John You will not get any understanding here, they all are Ebay cheerleaders. But take a look at their feedback numbers, how low they are and also see how many items they have listed thats what defines cheerleaders . Lovelaughs is one of the best sellers in here Good Luck"

Hey Vasox....make that 65% !!

Heeheehee..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 186 of 356
latest reply

My point is "where does it help you in whining?"
Does it improve your situation?

To the posting ID; you don't know me, but it's obvious by your post who you are!

(To the posting id, you don't know me, but it's obvious by your post who you are! )
Well i would say this person is upset about e-bay, like many of us are. Probable you also.

So my question to you is, so who do you think he is?

I NEVER INTEND TO OFFEND.
Message 187 of 356
latest reply

Pontiac, Do you realize your talking to someone who posted a year ago:^O
Message 188 of 356
latest reply

Pontiac, Do you realize your talking to someone who posted a year ago:^O

Yep, maybe they will be back. I hope so
Message 189 of 356
latest reply

Hope you didn't take it the wrong way..the:^O...should have been;-)
Message 190 of 356
latest reply

Hope you didn't take it the wrong way..the:^O...should have been;-)

Nope, you were just asking a simple question.
And i am a retired police officer, hard to offend me.

But thank you for your concern.
Message 191 of 356
latest reply

Give me an E

Give me a B

Give me an A

Give me a Y

Go, team!

Happy Sales To You!.....Until We Sell Again!
Message 192 of 356
latest reply

Here's an E

Here's a B

Here's an A

Here's a Y

Rah, Rah, Rah!!!! Sis Boom Bah:-p
Message 193 of 356
latest reply

Hey, An evilbay cheerleading squad $$$$$$$$
Message 194 of 356
latest reply

Message 195 of 356
latest reply