cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to request a refund because the postal system is slow?

Sorry if this isn't the place to post this, I don't really know where else to ask about something like this, and I'm really stressed about this right now.

On July 14th, a buyer offered on an item I was selling, and I accepted the offer later that day. I didn't have time to take the item to the post office until the 16th, but that's within the two day handling period so I thought nothing of it. The item was shipped using USPS retail ground on a rather large box, being delivered to the next state over.

The package left the post office on that same day, and it gave an estimated arrival time to the customer for Monday the 21st. Well, it's currently the 27th and the package still hasn't arrived. Two days ago, on the 25th, I received a request from the buyer for the item, and in the message he stated that if he did not receive the item by Tuesday the 28th, he would open a support ticket with Ebay to get a refund because he thinks 'the item is lost in shipping'. The last update on the tracking was from the 21st and reads "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility." I interpreted this as the package most definitely not being lost, and its shipment is just being delayed as a result of the pandemic. 

So, basically, the buyer wants a refund on the item I shipped within the allotted window because Ebay's estimated shipping time was wrong, and because the US Postal System (which I have absolutely no control over) is taking longer than expected (in the middle of a pandemic) to ship his package. Does the buyer have grounds to request a refund for this? It took me a very long time to sell this item so I'm rather worried about losing even more money on return shipping and having to find another buyer.

I would prefer that the buyer just be patient and allow the package to be delivered whenever the post office gets around to it, but I understand how frustrating it must be, and I understand the buyer's desire to cancel the transaction all together. This whole thing is just putting a lot of stress on me and I'm looking for what the next step to take is. Thank you for any information you may have.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Buyer wants to request a refund because the postal system is slow?

@jakatan_0, I just now saw your thread.  I haven't been coming around as much lately.  Looks like no one else has stepped in here either.  Has your package shown up at your buyer's place yet?  Were you forced to refund?  Your buyer needs to understand that the postal service is incredibly backed up right now, and I have been told that they're changing some routes, too, which I think may be affecting shipping times.  I live at the south end of Illinois, about half an hour from the Kentucky/Missouri/Illinois lines where the Ohio and Mississippi rivers meet, and I've had two packages in a row take FIVE days to make the six hour trip from Chicago to my house.  Normally that's a one-to-two day shipping time.  It's ridiculous, but literally EVERYone is in this boat at the moment.  I hope your buyer, for your sake, found a little patience.

Jon

Message 2 of 2
latest reply