cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bid twice what my used item costs new - but PayPal says payment received. What should I do?

I put a used Oculus Quest VR system up for sale and it got a lot of bids over $300 (what a new one costs) and the winner bid $540 (almost $600 after tax and shipping). I've searched for advice on this topic since it seems shady but most people warn of payment not coming through. PayPal says the payment has been received though. Not sure what to do and would appreciate any advice as I'm supposed to ship by tomorrow! Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Buyer bid twice what my used item costs new - but PayPal says payment received. What should I do?

When you say 'paypal says' are you logging on to paypal and seeing that money in your paypal account? 

What are other units selling for on ebay? 

Buyer shows 5 feedbacks, so fairly new. I see many sold in that range are new. 

You should send a message to that buyer confirming he knows it's used and that you do not accept returns (that's an entirely different problem)

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Yes I logged into PayPal (not through a link or anything). I saw many used units selling for between $250 and $290. I included a small extra accessory but it's only worth $20 new. 

Thank you for the advice!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Did they ask you to buy a gift card to send it to them to make up the difference? If so, it's a scam.

Also, never rely on a message or e-mail from paypal telling you that you have been paid, as that could be from a scammer, just making it look like it came from paypal.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

No they haven't messaged me anything, just paid as usual (confirmed by logging in to PayPal separately, not a phishing email or anything). 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I looked around and some are listed for 800. I also looked at the bidding, the 217 fb went up to $440. you had a few different 0 bidders. If it's in your PayPal account ship it. I would wait an extra day, just to see if you get an unauthorized chargeback.
Good Luck

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

according to south park you may be in a vidaloop.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Quick edit: realized I got my numbers mixed up in my original post. New item sells for $400. So he only "overpaid" 1.5 times.

But thank you to everyone for your advice. I'll wait till tomorrow to ship and cross my fingers they aren't planning to ask for a refund & send back a different item/empty box.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

That's still a lot for used; I would definitely hit him up and ask if he realized it was used. Save yourself a lot of headache on a return, especially since you don't take them, they may 'break it' to return to state 'not as described' for force a return etc. (and you get to pay return shipping)

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Update in case anyone is interested: I'm an idiot.

Apparently the reason the bids were so high is it's sold out everywhere until after Christmas! I didn't think of this as a possibility because when I checked a week ago it was still in stock & selling on eBay for what you'd expect. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Lucky you then. 🙂  🙂

Message 11 of 11
latest reply