cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

As you know, fees vary across categories as eBay always strives to achieve lowest total fees across category competitors. Starting on March 1, 2022, final value fees for Store sellers and those without a store will increase slightly. You can learn more about that here, or review the fee comparison chart here. Feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

Re: Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

The fees were already too high  What a waste

Message 136 of 222
latest reply

Another example of too many fees !

Message 137 of 222
latest reply

The worst part is that they really do not care what we think  Just about profits

Message 138 of 222
latest reply

Sellers have options. I don't understand why Ebay doesn't just charge the same percentage across the board.  What is the logic behind that? How can Ebay justify the raising of fees? 

Ebay is raising fees, yet sellers are receiving less service. Talk about shrinkflation. One of my favorite things about Ebay use to be the communication between ebay and it's customers (sellers). That's gone. We use to receive an easy to read monthly invoice. That is also gone and was replaced with a hard to read excell spread sheet provided by Managed Payments. The glitches. I'm having a good evening, so I won't go into detail there. But Ebay should hang their heads in shame in regards to glitches which completely screwed our sales last quarter.   We use to have an easy way to report those issues. Not anymore.   And the listing platform. For Pete's sake, who came up with that boondoggle? The forced item specifics have created a mess. I always used item specifics because they were a form of tags, but when Ebay techs got their hands in their and added all of their uneducated suggestions they really created a mess and reduced listing efficiency.  Table lamps don't have fan blades and you will never find a Pikachu in a nativity set. This is the kind of rubbish I find in your drop down suggestions. Do you honestly believe that is worth a rate increase? 

I honestly don't mind paying fees. I get it. But when Ebay is not getting the job done and the changes over the past 2 years have had a negative impact on sellers then maybe you need to take a step back and rethink matters and how you can make things better. 

Here's a clue: The answer is not in promoted listings. 

Message 139 of 222
latest reply

"I have my items spread over 3 sites"

Don't we all? Ebay needs to take that reality more serious than they do. 

Message 140 of 222
latest reply

Keep in mind when that coupon was implemented, we also received a substantial increase of our store subscriptions.  Ebay tried to tell us they were doing us a favor. lol 

Message 141 of 222
latest reply

@eclecticollectibles wrote:

Shipping supply costs going up and up yet coupon stays the same plus I’m having to pay tax now on the supplies.  I must disagree with you, the coupon is pretty much crap. 
i can’t get away with buying a pack of tissue paper without being charged more than my coupon “discount” 

Yes I also said that the supplies have gotten much higher than they were in the beginning, but our coupons have remained the same.  Not even a cost of living raise.

Check with your state.  Some states allow sellers to purchase shipping supplies with no sales tax because it becomes part of the item you are selling.  Then you just need to apply for and get a resale certificate.  Take a picture of that certificate and submit it to Ebay, it is really easy to do.  Then you would not be paying any sales tax anymore on your shipping supplies.

For me, I don't necessarily look to get things for free with my coupon, but a reasonable savings is always nice.  I like saving money.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 142 of 222
latest reply

Ebay rode this whole "Q&A session" out in their bunker it appears. Pathetic.

Message 143 of 222
latest reply

Then why participate?

Message 144 of 222
latest reply

Getting really tired of discovering a new hidden fee every time I sell an item. It’s really getting old and seems to just be ramping up. The authenticity programs are nice, however if they are “free” this should have no effect on final value fees.  Especially for items that do not qualify for these programs. eBay really does not seem to care about sellers anymore unless they are a massive commercial store. Definitely looking for alternative platforms. 

Message 145 of 222
latest reply

Because I reserve that right as a member of ebay, and was invited to just as you were. Why ask why?

Message 146 of 222
latest reply

Here is just the opinion of one seller:

Generally, I understand that fees may need to increase from time to time. However, in this instance, I believe this is uncalled for. Here is a brief run down of why:

Since switching to managed payments, the fees on sales tax alone went from 3% to 12%. This was a cost increase to all seller who switched from paypal. This cost takes the value of the platform down a notch, since it costs more for the same thing as before. 

There in no more phone support. Yes, occasionally you can get a CS on the phone, but when you can, they are always CS that are from outside the US, and none of them have the power to resolve issues. Not only is getting helpful phone support important for the buyers,  many times it's a necessity for sellers to have that support so we can offer the customer service eBay expects us to give buyers.  We need eBay to do their job so we can do ours. Since the support we were used to getting is now gone, that takes the value of the platform down a few notches. 

Glitches have plagued this platform for years. None of them ever get fixed, just swept under the rug. One of them, being eBay just relisting a sold item without the authorization of the seller.  Many of us have thousands of items listed. We don't have time nor the inclination to comb over all our listing everyday to make sure something doesn't just "show up".  We are busy listing products to sell, improving listings, and doing all the silly busy body work that this platform keeps foisting on us sellers. You aren't fixing anything eBay, so you can't possibly believe THAT is adding any value to us sellers, right?

Over the last few "updates" you have utterly disturbed/destroyed categories. From non sensicle item specifics, to destroying necessary sub categories, the lack of input from sellers who DEAL with these products, eBay has dropped the ball. Thousands and thousands of hours have had to be unnecessarily put in on our part, to satisfy some agenda eBay was chasing. These changes have not made sales any better. As a matter of fact, it's had the opposite effect, chasing away buyers and in some instances, sellers. What did losing sales do for sellers, buyers, OR eBay? How was any of that an "improvement"?  I'm all for making this platform BETTER, but these changes made things worse. There is another loss of value to us sellers. 

eBay has done a poor job of increasing buyers and traffic to the platform. Each year, the platform continues to slip and lose buyers. eBay keeps sliding farther down the ranking of selling platforms. Other platforms are eating your lunch eBay. You spend MILLIONS buying back stock, but spend next to nothing getting buyers to this platform. That's a pretty short term outlook. You aren't investing in the platform, making growth. Instead, you keep shrinking. That's not helpful to any of us sellers. So how is increasing fees justified when you are getting us LESS traffic? Other platforms INCREASE their market share, eBay is losing it's share. I'd say that a reason to NOT increase fees. 

Look, I like the eBay platform. But lots of things need someone to actually do some work on eBay's end. We sellers have sacrificed and sacrificed. We have put in countless hours doing what you ask of us. We bust our butts to give the customer experince you expect of us. What about what WE expect? We want buyers, we want increasing sales, we want an easy to use platform. Seems like eBay is failing on their end of the bargain, and wants to charge sellers MORE for their failures. Business doesn't work that way. This is exactly why competition has popped up and why they are taking your market share. This is becoming an example of diminishing returns. We are asked to give more of our time, more of our profits, and swim in more stress. The payoff is getting smaller and smaller. Not much juice left in the squeeze. At some point, the executives are going to need to listen to us, or there won't be anything left to "improve". Many sellers have moved on, and the buyers with them. How many more do you want to lose?

See, this isn't just about increasing fees. You aren't offering more value for the increase, and we sellers know it. 

Message 147 of 222
latest reply

I think we must be talking about two different things.  You stated "Ebay rode this whole "Q&A session" out in their bunker it appears.  Pathetic"

I thought that meant you were not satisfied with the threads so I asked you why participate.

For the past few years Ebay has put the current Seller Update discussion under a separate spot in the forums.  That does not mean we can't venture out into the regular threads and discuss what we want to about the Updates.  It is just here there is supposed to be a CSR presents that as usual seems to be very lacking.

I'm unsure of what right you are reserving, so no comment on that one.

Message 148 of 222
latest reply

BAD FOR BUSINESS EBAY!!!!  SHAME SHAME 

Message 149 of 222
latest reply

The fee increase of .30 or .35 is likely easiest to explain by looking at it as funding the FVF refunds on partial refunds and on buyer  requested cancellation.

Message 150 of 222
latest reply