cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring Seller Update 2017

Check the Seller News Announcements. I don't know if I have the heart to even read it!!!!!!

Let the fun begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Spring Seller Update 2017

Message 16 of 78
latest reply

@debs_list wrote:

I especially like the final tag line on all the "New Improvements".....

Why is eBay making these changes?

Based on sellers’ requests, we are providing more opportunity to increase their visibility as well as reduce competition from external ad sources.

RIGHTTTTTTT! 

LOL ... somebody finally understood that the tiny ad rate percentage that they were getting for click-through off-site advertising was actually taking FVFs out of their pocket ... genius 🙂

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 17 of 78
latest reply

May have to reconsider having a store with the fee increase (fvf) just .85% less than non store seller.  Plus the reduction in TRS discounts from 20 to 10 percent.  I am happy they are removing 3rd party ads from listings - just wish they would remove the ads for same item after customer has made a purchase.  Guess it could have been worse.

Message 18 of 78
latest reply

this is just a masked fee increase. more fees that will surely get rid of the small time sellers who cannot pay 25% or more to have their listings promoted. Promoted listing are only good if you have multiples, one of a kind/1 item will not work. so if you are small time seller I guess your listings will not be seen.

Message 19 of 78
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/shipping-tools.html

Pick a region and your days. ^^^

Morning,

I noticed that CHINA is missing on the above linked article and map.

Am I missing something?

Mr C

Message 20 of 78
latest reply

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/shipping-tools.html

I have read the FAQ and I do not understand how this is better than regular calculated shipping.  It certainly could help avoid some of the  shipping calculator issues that keep coming up with FedEx or UPS, but eBay denies that those problems exist. Is it more relevant to sellers with certain specific merchandise, or who use freight? Can you give an example?

Message 21 of 78
latest reply

I was truly hoping that something was going to happen regarding policy on irrefutable false snad claims for sellers with a return policy.    They are still getting the short end of the stick for following eBay recommendations vs. a no returns policy seller.   They are being financially harmed.

Message 22 of 78
latest reply

How are shipping rate tables different from calculated shipping?
Shipping rate tables give you control to input shipping rates that are specific to your shipping costs, whereas eBay calculated shipping applies to standard shipping costs (e.g., in-store rates or eBay’s negotiated discounts).
This means that you can use shipping rate tables to more accurately share and customize your specific shipping costs based on regions of the country where buyers reside.

Not sure. I'm sure it's better for big box and China, with their warehouses?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 23 of 78
latest reply

@partial*eclipse

The shipping thing has me confused too.  Their example doesn't help. 

Does it mean I could have free shipping to those close to me and charge for those in Zone 8?  That might be interesting.  Include Zone 4 pricing in the "free shipping" listing and have the difference for Z4 vs Z8 as the charge shown to everyone in Zones 5 or higher. 

If that's how it can be used, it could be interesting. 

Message 24 of 78
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

I have read the FAQ and I do not understand how this is better than regular calculated shipping.  It certainly could help avoid some of the  shipping calculator issues that keep coming up with FedEx or UPS, but eBay denies that those problems exist. Is it more relevant to sellers with certain specific merchandise, or who use freight? Can you give an example?

It will help those with multiple shipping locations......i.e. warehouses on east/west coast....I haven't studied it, but presumably when they set up their zones, the buyer zip will "chose" the closest shipping location and quote that shipping cost........  i.e. Cal buyer will get charged from Cal warehouse.....as opposed from  the NY warehouse.  I can see that's going to be really valuable for big sellers.......

Also, I think.......not enough coffee yet........there may be a way to build in free shipping on a "local" level and then charge extra for furthest zone shipping........  i.e. Free to NE, +$5 to west coast...... 

Message 25 of 78
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

The whole thing is here:

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2017spring/index.html

Store FVF 9.5% on most cats

TRSP discount 10%

Oh boy 😞

And ... another oh boy

Below standard changes

Final value fees for sellers who do not meet eBay’s minimum performance standards will increase by 4 percentage points on items sold on or after May 1, 2017. To make sure you’re meeting eBay’s minimum selling requirements, follow our selling best practices and check your seller dashboard regularly.

I am asking myself if it's worth straining to have 1-day shipping and get the validation scans by waiting in the Post Office, for 10% off final value fees. Um...probably not?

Are any of you likely to abandon trying to get TRS+ and change to 2 or 3 day shipping? I am interested in 2 days. That is what Amazon requires and some days it really helps. 

Message 26 of 78
latest reply

do the math based on your sales..........and consider your own situation.........that's all any of us can do......  For me, there's no big problem in complying......but not true for everyone obviously.

Message 27 of 78
latest reply

Also, noticed that 3rd party ads are not quite eliminated - at the very end of the explanation - there's a disclaimer that "limited" 3rd party ads will still appear. 

Message 28 of 78
latest reply

I would definitely abandon the 1 day thing if I had to wait in line at a post office...but don't you still need an acceptance scan with the 2-3 day handling times.   It sounds like getting an acceptance scan might be a hassle for you regardless of your handling time.

Message 29 of 78
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

Yep ... Store "rent" was increased last year ... this year an FVF increase ...

The screws are being tightened on the "on time" shipping metric for TRS up to 95% ... with a decrease in the TRSP discount 😞 Along with the decreasing Comm Plus Rates, this one is really nasty 😞 What carrot is eBay using to encourage TRS sellers? All I see is stick 😞

The only semi-good I see is that they are getting rid of 3P ads that lead buyers off of eBay (replacing them with Promoted Listings)

Removal of prominent third party ads to elevate your promoted listings

We’re removing third-party product listing ads across the eBay platform effective May 1, 2017. We will begin replacing the ads with eBay promoted listings at that time, with additional placements coming over the course of the year. Sellers have asked for increased visibility and for removal of ads which take buyers off eBay. With these changes, we are taking strides to provide sellers more opportunity to get added visibility and velocity for their items and to reduce competition from external ad sources. Limited third-party advertisements will continue to be displayed.

Unless I'm misinterpreting something, I'm not sure how that is even semi-good.  Whose ads do you think eBay is going to be promoting?  Certainly not small sellers.  Watch those promoted ads. Bet they will lead right to Chinese sellers and the big boxers.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 30 of 78
latest reply