cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
199 REPLIES 199

Re: It's here! Spring 2016 Seller Update

@chlerbie wrote:

Their reason for the increase in store prices was because sellers had asked for more free allocations of listings. YES, with the operative word free, not another 100+ dollars a month for my Anchor Store.  Ouch.

... remember the phrase "no free lunch?"  ... that has been changed to "no free breakfast, lunch, supper ... or bedtime snack ... " 
Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 31 of 200
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@unscrupulousintangibility wrote:

The last thing I want is eBay branded Priority boxes.

We even cut the "eBay" off of the online labels.

... plain brown (unprinted) boxes would be less expensive to manufacturer ... I know, have been in the packaging industry for over 30 years.  I would be interested to know the spec on the corrugated they plan on using for the boxes ... could be a weaker structure.  If anything, get the tape rolls printed instead.

On another note, is it wise to advertise your box is an eBay package?  Wouldn't that invite more tampering?

i now use Stamps.com for shipping so no where on my package does Ebay's name show up and I definitely want to keep it that way.  Why make it obvious for those who walk up and steal packages from mailboxes and porches that this is an Ebay purchase.  Just makes it that much more enticing to take.

David

Twnpopcards

Does Stamps.com have a feature to automatically upload the tracking info to eBay listings?

@mr_lincoln

Yes, it takes care of everything.  I  run the batch file to download all the items I need to ship, add any other items I need to ship from other sources and then I print.  Once printed the tracking information is automatically uploaded to ebay and ebay sends out the notices like always.  

Also if you ask for the special Ebay account they will waive the $15.99 a month fee.  The account does not have all the bells and whistles but works just fine for me.  Also I like the fact I can print bulk labels numerous times throughout the day and then still only print 1 scan sheet at the end of that days shipping (or morning before the carrier comes).  I have found it to be glitch free overall and works great for me.

One glitch they do seem to be having on SOME Ebay accounts is with the International Shipping.  It seems to pick and choose which ones it allows to be printed.  Now this was a manually entered transaction so that could also be the cause, but I wanted to be straightforward with the evaluation.  They are currently working on a solution for this, but truthfully if you do much International shipping you probably get better rates through the Ebay shipping, especially if you are TRS+.

But outside of that, I love it and would not consider switching back.

David

Twnpopcards

I will definately keep tha tin mind, thank you.  Do you get discounts on the postage?  Can you change the label size for each label printed - or for a batch?

Regards,
Message 32 of 200
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

(snipt)

David

Twnpopcards

I also love stamps.com and wouldn't consider switching to ebay same as you but I have THEM email my buyers with shipping information, not ebay.

Message 33 of 200
latest reply

Yes you can set it up to upload tracking to your ebay store. I use shipstation it is owned by stamps better features cheaper  insurance rate for both domestic and international. Domestic $0.99 for $99.99  of insurance coverage. 

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

... plain brown (unprinted) boxes would be less expensive to manufacturer ... I know, have been in the packaging industry for over 30 years.  I would be interested to know the spec on the corrugated they plan on using for the boxes ... could be a weaker structure.  If anything, get the tape rolls printed instead.

On another note, is it wise to advertise your box is an eBay package?  Wouldn't that invite more tampering?

i now use Stamps.com for shipping so no where on my package does Ebay's name show up and I definitely want to keep it that way.  Why make it obvious for those who walk up and steal packages from mailboxes and porches that this is an Ebay purchase.  Just makes it that much more enticing to take.

David

Twnpopcards

Does Stamps.com have a feature to automatically upload the tracking info to eBay listings?

Message 34 of 200
latest reply

You get discounts on the postage but not as much as the TRS sellers get on Ebay.

I love Stamps, I started when USPS temporarily removed the regional rate boxes from their site.

However, it does put how much you spend on postage in your face. When I was printing postage sale by sale, it seemed manageable. Now I have to upload an amount up front, I see how much I really spend every week.

Message 35 of 200
latest reply

Yes you can set it up to upload tracking to your ebay store. I use shipstation it is owned by stamps better features cheaper insurance rate for both domestic and international. Domestic $0.99 for $99.99 of insurance coverage.
Message 36 of 200
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I am reading some of the Store listing increases and find this the most interesting so far.  They have upped the Auction Style listings from the lowest at 100 to 250 - 500 - 1000.  This supports the fact that they (eBay) must have kept data on the revenue generated by this type of listing format, or listened to Sellers who shared success with this selling format.  It also seems to point to eBay's core business from its early history that it is still a venue to come to in order to find the unique, rare, etc. item for sale.

NOW it makes sense to covert from the standard level to a Basic Store level ...

Depending on the item or category, many sellers are leaving a lot of money on the table by listing everything BIN.  Collectible and many antique sellers have been told by ebay for years that buyers want it now that they just automatically list that way.  And ebay's recommendation about starting auction listings at 99 cents just made it worse for sellers.

The recommendation should be to do your research and know your category when you list an item as an auction or BIN.  But ebay wants money fast and easy, and many sellers are the same way.

A few years ago I listed a vintage shirt at auction, all the other shirts the same type had been listed BIN for around $30, mine got over ten bids and sold for over $150.

But i wouldn't list the majority of my ebay merchandise as an auction today, it just wouldn't sell.  The buyers in some categories want it now and others are willing to wait, the trick is knowing which and using that to make money.

(*Bleep*)
Message 37 of 200
latest reply

@smick55 wrote:

I guess the free listings is still stuck at 50 without a store.  Now I have to make up my mind whether to continue a store or hope for promos. 

I think as we have seen for those that did not get the 4 month of freebies with their stores, the promos are going bye bye.  Since Janauary there have been just a couple of very small invited seller freebies unlike the past and I think the increase in the Anchor Store listings is Ebays way of now allocating more of the free listings to them.  

I will pay an extra $15 a month and get 1000 listings instead of my normal 500 which is fine but I used to get between 1-2000 additional free listings each month and  I think those days are gone.  

The gap now between a Premium store for $59.95/mo for 1000 listings and the Anchor Store $299.99/mo for 10000 listings is even wider than before where many were hoping for something in between.  Wow $120 a month increase in fees for an Anchor store is really going to hit hard, especially since you are going to go at least 2 months without the dedicated CS rep for your money.

Its a shame Ebay can't come up with something in the 2500-3000 range without it being the old $179.99 rate (which is now gone).  Oh well, I guess I will have to learn to live on 1000 listings a month as I just refuse to pay even $.10 each for the listings with the amount of traffic that ebay now generates.  It used to be worth paying the listing fees as almost all my items wound up getting sold (my old sell through rate was around 80-85%) but now the sell through rate is so bad I can't make myself list it.

I still remember the days you listed an item at $.99 starting price to avoid the next level in the fee schedule but you never had to worry about a $50 item selling at that price as there were lots of buyers bidding things up and even with the sniping the items sold for decent amounts.  If i ran auctions now I would never start something at $.99 unless it was only worth $5 max because the odds are you are going to be selling the item at that price..

David

Twnpopcards

Message 38 of 200
latest reply

I use my Ebay sales as advertising. How much do I want to pay for a Basic Store before it's not worth it in more than just mathematical terms? I suspect I'm reaching the ceiling now.

Am I correct in believing we STILL have to pay for BIN on our auctions?

Message 39 of 200
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

David

Twnpopcards

@mr_lincoln

Yes, it takes care of everything.  I  run the batch file to download all the items I need to ship, add any other items I need to ship from other sources and then I print.  Once printed the tracking information is automatically uploaded to ebay and ebay sends out the notices like always.  

Also if you ask for the special Ebay account they will waive the $15.99 a month fee.  The account does not have all the bells and whistles but works just fine for me.  Also I like the fact I can print bulk labels numerous times throughout the day and then still only print 1 scan sheet at the end of that days shipping (or morning before the carrier comes).  I have found it to be glitch free overall and works great for me.

One glitch they do seem to be having on SOME Ebay accounts is with the International Shipping.  It seems to pick and choose which ones it allows to be printed.  Now this was a manually entered transaction so that could also be the cause, but I wanted to be straightforward with the evaluation.  They are currently working on a solution for this, but truthfully if you do much International shipping you probably get better rates through the Ebay shipping, especially if you are TRS+.

David

Twnpopcards

I will definately keep tha tin mind, thank you.  Do you get discounts on the postage?  Can you change the label size for each label printed - or for a batch?

As for discounts on postage, we get the same FCM prices that we get on Ebay.  AS for priority, I am not sure as I rarely use it and if I do the buyer pays for it so I really don't look at the differences on the shipping cost.  You can always sign up for the service, download and install the program and then compare the prices between ebay and Stamps.  If you don't like it you can just not use it, or you can close your account and delete it.  Again where Ebay has been having so many glitches with shipping and everything else lately, I never have to worry about shipping on time due to those glitches, and if they do have one I can always fall back on Ebay, which I could not do if I did not have Stamps.com installed.

Ebay does not give late shipment exceptions just because you could not print a shipping label, and with what has been happening lately I would not risk it.

As for the size changing, you would have to ask STamps.com as I do not use that feature and have not checked it out.  Their CS reps are very friendly and helpful so call and ask them.  There is no commitment for checking it out.  But again if you want the free Ebay account, YOU MUST ASK FOR IT.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 40 of 200
latest reply

Makes sense now that there was a big push last month to get folks to upgrade to an anchor store. That price increase on the anchor store is incredible.  

Message 41 of 200
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

Makes sense now that there was a big push last month to get folks to upgrade to an anchor store. That price increase on the anchor store is incredible.  

And I will bet that most of those that took the upgrade for 3 months at a $75 discount will end them when the trial period is over, which I believe just happens to coincide with the new price increase dates.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 42 of 200
latest reply

As for discounts on postage, we get the same FCM prices that we get on Ebay.  AS for priority, I am not sure as I rarely use it and if I do the buyer pays for it so I really don't look at the differences on the shipping cost.  You can always sign up for the service, download and install the program and then compare the prices between ebay and Stamps.  If you don't like it you can just not use it, or you can close your account and delete it.  Again where Ebay has been having so many glitches with shipping and everything else lately, I never have to worry about shipping on time due to those glitches, and if they do have one I can always fall back on Ebay, which I could not do if I did not have Stamps.com installed.

Ebay does not give late shipment exceptions just because you could not print a shipping label, and with what has been happening lately I would not risk it.

As for the size changing, you would have to ask STamps.com as I do not use that feature and have not checked it out.  Their CS reps are very friendly and helpful so call and ask them.  There is no commitment for checking it out.  But again if you want the free Ebay account, YOU MUST ASK FOR IT.

David

Twnpopcards

Thanks David ... EXTREMELY helpful!

Regards,
Message 43 of 200
latest reply

Yep. Got that $75 off for three months offer as well - never acted on it and now feel like I dodged some major hassle of having to downgrade. 

The Anchor store seemed to me to be a good option for the smaller - more serious sellers, but now that level has been blown up. 

Message 44 of 200
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I am reading some of the Store listing increases and find this the most interesting so far.  They have upped the Auction Style listings from the lowest at 100 to 250 - 500 - 1000.  This supports the fact that they (eBay) must have kept data on the revenue generated by this type of listing format, or listened to Sellers who shared success with this selling format.  It also seems to point to eBay's core business from its early history that it is still a venue to come to in order to find the unique, rare, etc. item for sale.

NOW it makes sense to covert from the standard level to a Basic Store level ...

Depending on the item or category, many sellers are leaving a lot of money on the table by listing everything BIN.  Collectible and many antique sellers have been told by ebay for years that buyers want it now that they just automatically list that way.  And ebay's recommendation about starting auction listings at 99 cents just made it worse for sellers.

The recommendation should be to do your research and know your category when you list an item as an auction or BIN.  But ebay wants money fast and easy, and many sellers are the same way.

A few years ago I listed a vintage shirt at auction, all the other shirts the same type had been listed BIN for around $30, mine got over ten bids and sold for over $150.

But i wouldn't list the majority of my ebay merchandise as an auction today, it just wouldn't sell.  The buyers in some categories want it now and others are willing to wait, the trick is knowing which and using that to make money.

Whenever I see a 99 cent listing I think it is a sales ploy to get someone to bid and that maybe the Reserve will drive the price up anyway.  I research most items before listing but do not fall into the trap of thinking I have to list the lowest price ... I prefer Auction style listings, am basic level (50 freebies per month) but with the new Store levels and 250 free Auction Sytle listings it really makes sense to go that route, try it for a year and see how it works out.  Most of what I sell meets the category requirements.

To your point about Buyers wanting it now, true in many cases but I still think the Auction style listings periods of 5, 7 and 10 Days work well.  I need to read a littel more, but are you saying that for a Store, any Auction listing with the BIN is an extra charge?

Regards,
Message 45 of 200
latest reply