cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

I'm a buyer and a newbie seller on eBay. I started selling in September of this year, when I sold my first item, I was so excited and was looking forward to my first feedback as a seller. That was in September..it is now mid November and I have not gotten a feedback from my first customer. It's ok because I thought she was a great customer (anyone who pays quickly is a great customer to me) and I have left her feeback long ago. I believe I have sold 17 or 18 items since then, some has left me some nice feedbacks (grateful) but there are several who hasn't. So, like some suggested, I will not leave any feedbacks until I receive one....because my impression with feedback is the OVERALL SATISFACTION of both the seller and the buyer.

Carry the REAL thing
Message 31 of 425
latest reply

As a buyer I never really cared about my feedback. I cant believe you are sooo irrate about it LOL

I did look at sellers feedback to make sure I wasnt buying from a pyscho.

Now as a seller, who also works and has kids, I just dont have time to leave feedback every single time I get paid for an item. My first and foremost concern is getting the item shipped out as quickly as possible. I have to sit down about once a week  to leave feedback all at once.

Maybe you should give sellers a break since most of us are just everyday people with regular lives just like you. If  your big crusade in life is to to rally people to not leave feedback until they get feedback, I feel sorry for you!

Message 32 of 425
latest reply

Come on folks, do we really need to drag up posts that are two years old.?

Message 33 of 425
latest reply

vanitytroye
Enthusiast

truth is, nowadays, most sellers have automated systems sending feedback after payment or after receiving the feedback. For a buyer to give feedback for the 1 or so items isn't much, to leave it for 200 buyers a day it's isane, you wouldn't have time to do that, pack and ship if you wourk on your own.

I leave feedback as soon as I receive payment, however, I've has a couple of negative feedbacks from nuyers that did not contact me at all before leaving feedback.

1- didn't know how to use the item

2- "slow shipping" even tho he received the item in 4 days on a holiday week.

Some buyers do that so you offer them a refund for a feedback revision, I prefer not... I won't do it, I'll take the negative and reply to it with facts. Sometimes I wish I could leave the positive feedback to the buyer, but on my text, let other sellers know the piece of work they might have been.

Overall, My buyers are amazing, but there are always smarty buyers trying to pull a fast one. I can't count the amount of times that I had to re-ship items because "they never got it" even tho it is marked as delivered.

Anyway, it does not matter who leaves feedback first, I guess whoever feels more confortable first.

Feedback is not about payment but a FEEDBACK on the transaction itself, if the buyer or seller is a piece of work, it should be stated on the feedback. Not necessarely negative, but you can still say shipping was late with a positive if you received the item and is happy with it. That is what matters most, if the seller was nice to you and helped you, use your best judgement, is it really worth messing with somesones business because of 1 day shipping delay? Is it 100% necesary to overlook everything someone has done for you over 1 flaw? Do you feel powerful?!?

Unfortunately some people do, and there is nothing a seller can do to protect themselves from that.

Message 34 of 425
latest reply

I agree with ilivewith3cavemen,  Due to ebay and their ever ongoing rules, we sellers are not able to leave honest feedback anymore, so some sellers have given up on it or just wait until the 45 day dispute time is up before leaving feed back.

Message 35 of 425
latest reply

what about buyers not leaving feedback?

Message 36 of 425
latest reply

I always give feedbacks after payment.

Message 37 of 425
latest reply

Whoever gets something first is should leave feedback first.  This is always the seller.  I have been a member for 15 years and even 5 years ago this was understood.  If the seller has screwed the buyer that seller shouldn't be waiting to see if he gets caught before leaving feedback.  Quick payment is a job well done by the buyer.  If a seller won't leave me positive feedback when I pay them quickly they aren't gettin any feeback from me.

Message 38 of 425
latest reply

Wow, the first post is horrible advice! 

As a seller I know that the transaction is not complete until the buyer is 100 percent satisfied. The buyer may want to return the item, or he may return the item in used or damaged condition. If I've already left feedback for this scum, I've lost my leverage.

As a seller you should wait until the buyer indicates he is satisfied by leaving good feedback. Then you, the seller, may do likewise.

Message 39 of 425
latest reply

Payment is not the buyer's only responsibility. The buyer may want to return the item. How that return is handled should also be reflected in the buyer's feedback. If the seller leaves feedback prematurely (ie instantly upon payment) a disreputable buyer could return in item in used or damaged condition - with no recourse for the seller.

The transaction is not complete until the buyer is satisfied. He indicates that by leaving positive feedback. The seller, knowing he has a happy buyer, may now do likewise.

Message 40 of 425
latest reply

worldtravelerweilin
Enthusiast

I am not sure if buyer wait for me to give them feedback then give me one. but leave a feedback to say something is the only thing seller do to be fair. so I got to make sure the buyer is not scammer, and give me feedback then I will give them too. cause I had met some buyer that give you low rate star even buying a "local pick up only " item. why give me a low rate on shipping even it is local pick up only?!  I am not saying all buyers are like that. but if unluckily met some mean buyers again like that and I had left positive feedback to that buyer already, no matter if it is a scammer or not, I have nothing to do to warn other seller of those buyers.

someone somewhere live a life somehow.
Message 41 of 425
latest reply

cf02427
Enthusiast

I can understand a seller's point of view on this because feedback is so important to them.   I have purchased three items from one seller:  two have arrived and I am waiting for the third. I payed as soon as I won the auction.   I left feedback as soon as I got the first two Items and examined them, always on the same day.,  I left  positive and 5 stars and the highest praise because their items were so good, but as yet I have not recieved any feedback from them.   I put in my bids in good faith with a low max amount and sometimes I win (jewelry).   I know it is worth more than I pay, but I did not start the bidding at  .99.  Why would a seller not give any feedback at all?  Should I complain - can I complain?

Message 42 of 425
latest reply

Hey folks....look up voluntary in the dictionary. Then find something useful to do with your time.

Message 43 of 425
latest reply

i totally agree... i sell high-end items (gucci, louis vuitton, chanel) and feedback is very important. i have a 100% feedback with a score of only 5 i have sold over ten items gave positive feedback right away to buyers and only have gotten 2 back in return i actually had to inbox some of the buyers who have inboxed me saying how great my item they bought was and told them how glad i was they enjoyed the item, i reminded them that i left feedback for them and asked if the same could be done for me whether bad or good. since my items are high-end i'm only allowed to list one every 30 days until i reach about a score of 20. i have a huge inventory but at this rate of receiving feedback it will take me til 2014 to be able to list multiple things. and its on both sides i buy items and pay right away and still get no feedback, my job is done why no feedback? this is a business and should be handled as such with certain steps taken for every transaction. SELLER: list item, sell item, if payment is immediate leave good feedback if not leave neutral or negative feedback depending on the situation and vice versa. but feedback should be left on all transactions because we are all responsible for watching each others back by enlisting someone as a top seller or a bad one

Message 44 of 425
latest reply

neilrv7
Enthusiast

I can tell you as a buyer and seller. I don't give the seller feed back until I receive the item AND get feedback. The seller should give feedback upon payment and not expect to blackmail the buy into giving good feedback when they don't communicate, ship slowly, pack poorly, misrepresent the item etc.

Message 45 of 425
latest reply