cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today is National Boxing Day in many of the British Commonwealth countries.

The roots of the holiday stretch back to the Middle Ages.

On this day, members of the merchant class would take boxes, fill them with gifts and food, and give them to servants, tradespeople and the less fortunate.

boxday.jpg

These boards seem to have become at times quite grumpy.

Thought I’d add a little misdirection to lighten the mood for the holidays.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

First let me find where all my servants got off to!!!  LOL

Just kidding of course.  What a wonderful tradition that is!!  I like it a lot.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm dreaming of a whiiiiiiiiite boxing day...! 

It snowed the day after Christmas.  We become happily paralysed in snow since it's such a novelty here (PNW - we're used to drizzle and windstorms) - everyone forgets their troubles, work or whatever, and runs outside with skis, snowboards, sleds and snowshoes and plays.  Dogs in jackets happily chase flakes.  Our cats used to stroll outside, their delicate footprints leading down our walkway into our road, and investigate. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It sure did.  You and I aren't far apart in the same State.  Within about 70 miles or so.  We had some snow yesterday, by the time I went to bed it was about 1-1.5 inches.  Today we now have about 6".  And more snow coming tomorrow evening I hear.

For me, I can just enjoy the beauty of it since I work from home.  But since we don't have a lot of experience around here driving in this stuff, you not only need to watch yourself if you get out there you need to pay very close attention to those around you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yeah but admit it - you loved it.

I grew up in New England. I know exactly what you mean. The daily "troubles"  of life just disappear and the moment is FUN FUN FUN !

I remember one storm we had - it started to snow on Saturday. It was the following THURSDAY before we saw our FIRST plow. But there were more snowmen and ice forts than you could shake a shovel at.

Those were the days.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yes a very white Boxing Day!

We have 6 " up here and I love how beautiful and quiet it is when it snows in the PNW

lisa5768
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Boxing day is a wonderful idea and tradition!  And it was a fun episode on MASH, too!  Charles grew up a lot in that one!

Thanks, richardthe1st!

Snow is amazing! I lived in Colorado for a few years and I loved to walk my dogs at night after a new snow.  It was like walking in glitter!  Constant twinkling.  And my dogs liked getting 2 walks in one day, too!  (and our cat, too, as I recall)  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

We got several inches which is weird. I've not seen this much snow since the big blizzard which was like 15 years ago. A fluke! But very pretty. One thing which stood out to me since it's so rare> kids and dogs are in Paradise. That is nice to watch!

That being said...

Finally, Christmas is over! Happy Boxing Day!!!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

Yeah but admit it - you loved it.

I grew up in New England. I know exactly what you mean. The daily "troubles"  of life just disappear and the moment is FUN FUN FUN !

I remember one storm we had - it started to snow on Saturday. It was the following THURSDAY before we saw our FIRST plow. But there were more snowmen and ice forts than you could shake a shovel at.

Those were the days.

@richard1rst  I love snow!  I run out and play ASAP.  The DH, not so much, though he'll go out hiking with me.  When I was younger I'd take my mountainbike out in it and ride if it was powdery enough - delirious times.  I'm older and slower now and go snowshoeing if it's deep enough (it was not deep enough - we got about 5 inches).

After getting completely hosed at whatever I'm doing, I love to go back inside, make up a pot of tea and curl up in my reading chair with a book and a blanket over my lap, with some music playing.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 9
latest reply