cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Ebay put a stop to price gouging on N95 masks ?

Due to the Novel Coronavirus, there has been a huge demand for N95 masks. Some unscrupulous sellers are price gouging these masks, asking over 4 times the retail price. Such behavior will cause hoarding , people rushing to brick-n-mortar stores and online suppliers to buy up these masks,  just so they can hawk it on Ebay for absurd markups. This causes problems for the average person who wants to buy a mask for personal use. Ebay takes down auctions that violate certain ethical and or legal guidelines.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Ebay should stop sellers from hawking N95 masks, only to prevent those sellers who engage in price gouging.

Health professions have warned that emptying the shelves of these masks, which is greatly exacerbated when people can figure they can get rich quick by price gouging, is putting health professionals at risk due to shortage of the masks. In Singapore the government has cracked down on price gougers.

I would link to Ebay auctions of sellers price gouging but I don't know if that is allowed.

Message 1 of 132
latest reply
131 REPLIES 131

@nostalgicbrewpub wrote: ... I would link to Ebay auctions of sellers price gouging but I don't know if that is allowed.

That would indeed be a violation of the policy that prohibits "naming and shaming."  I've been on eBay for over 20 years and can't recall any time when they limited prices or quantities for any specific item(s). If eBay suddenly decided to become the conscience of capitalism, those sellers would just take their business elsewhere.  

Also, remember that the asking prices shown in active eBay listings aren't necessarily the selling prices for those items.  Sellers can ask for whatever price they dream up for N95 masks, Corning ware, or beanie babies; that doesn't mean that anybody will actually pay that price for them.

Message 2 of 132
latest reply

I am referring to Sold prices only, not the Make Best Offer / asking price.

Ebay has a policy in place prohibiting the sale of certain controversial items. So they should have a policy on price gouging , as it relates to products the general public needs in emergency situations or health scares. About a year or so ago, one of the big box vendors of stationary items was criticized for alleged price gouging on bottled water when there was a shortage in the region due to a hurricane. Laws in most States outlawing price gouging during disasters. Some States levy civil penalties while others also levy criminal penalties.

As far as auction sites known to the general public, there is no competitor to Ebay, none that is even remotely on par.  So sellers are left with Amazon, which isn't like Ebay. Ebay taking a stand would be a big deal. If Ebay claims sellers can go to Amazon, then Amazon can claim that sellers will go to Ebay if they try to restrict price gouging. This line of reasoning allows both entities to not do anything.

Message 3 of 132
latest reply

Some unscrupulous sellers are price gouging these masks, asking over 4 times the retail price.

It is a common sentiment among eBay sellers on this board that because of fees, fraud and returns, they will not consider listing an item unless they know they can sell it for at least 4 or 5 times (some will say 10 times) what they pay for it. 

Message 4 of 132
latest reply

@nostalgicbrewpub wrote:

As far as auction sites known to the general public, there is no competitor to Ebay, none that is even remotely on par.  So sellers are left with Amazon, which isn't like Ebay. 

When people want to buy medical equipment like virus masks, I doubt an auction site like eBay is where the "general public" would think to look.

Won't most of them will go to Amazon, WalMart, Target, Walgreens, CVS,  etc.? 

Message 5 of 132
latest reply

I didn't get the impression that the OP was concerned about whether the seller made a good profit or not.  I think their main concern is the continued good health of the people who have to work in a system where there might not be enough physical protection from the virus because of way over-inflated prices.  Something like ticket scalping, I suppose.

Why wouldn't people look on ebay?  It is a commodity site, for the most part, any more, just like the rest - with some of the lowest prices.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 132
latest reply

If you don't like the price, don't buy one. 

If people are willing to pay whatever price they're asking, it's not your business or mine.

Message 7 of 132
latest reply

Chinese are wearing masks, isn't even slowing this thing down. It's transmitting through surfaces far more, hand sanitizer will help the average person far more than a mask will. 

Message 8 of 132
latest reply

I don't think ebay will or should police prices......  If it was the only place in town, there might be an argument for it.........but just like beanie babies or pez containers.......the market will decide what is reasonable/unreasonable.

Message 9 of 132
latest reply

That's free market capitalism for you. Its a matter of supply and demand. Naturally, when demand goes up, prices typically go up as well. Its why rare sports cards often sell for tens of thousands, and sometimes millions of dollars, because there's enough demand to drive the price that high.

You say its price gouging, I say retailers have to make a profit. In the case of those masks, the higher demand from consumers could also be driving up the prices from the suppliers, forcing retailers to raise their prices as well. Likewise, manufacturers will typically raise prices when production cannot meet demand.

As for this being a public health concern, that's not up to ebay nor us to decide. If political leaders see it as a threat, they may do something about it.

Either way, our entire world economy works on the premise of price gouging. If you're not making a profit, you're not in business. I would agree a lot of prices seem unfair and unreasonable, such as with the enormously inflated costs of healthcare.

Message 10 of 132
latest reply

i just took a glance at them. the highest selling ones seem to be thru the auction format. it is not price gouging when the people run the items up themselves. like the 9 boxes that sold for $1125. the seller did not gouge the price at all, he started the auction at a dollar, it was the general public that ran it up.

Message 11 of 132
latest reply

*General Comment*

Gee, I wonder where all those people who make all those profits are going to spend it if they catch the virus and die?  I wonder where the profits margins are going to come from if an epidemic causes a lot of deaths.  Perhaps the wealth will shift and the undertakers become the 1%ers.

Having been associated with the health care system, I think that a lot of people forget about all the people that work in it - like home health care aides or emergency services or any of the many, many areas that are not an immediate part of the Doctor/Nurse, Hospital/Office setting.  It isn't a matter of simply not catching the virus - it  is also a matter of not passing it along.

(personal opinion - your mileage may vary)

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 132
latest reply

General Reply:
Has anyone stopped to consider that the buyer/high bidder of the above mentioned $1125 auction (for example) may have been the procurement officer for a small, obscure clinic (staffed by health workers!) who's mission it was to ensure that the supply was on hand in the event that, in the future, the staff needed to resort to them? If those not involved in an event have to speculate, it is wiser to include all possible speculations before making judgements and passing sentence.
Message 13 of 132
latest reply

This is quite true. Just like speculating why someone would have 9 boxes of them to sell on ebay.  Perhaps that office wouldn't have had to get them 'here' if they were still with the retailer or supplier.

Message 14 of 132
latest reply

@nostalgicbrewpub wrote:

Just to be clear, I am not saying Ebay should stop sellers from hawking N95 masks, only to prevent those sellers who engage in price gouging.

What is the correct price that should be charged for these masks - above which the seller should be charged with price gouging? Please be specific.

Message 15 of 132
latest reply