cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling in a B&M store during this crisis...

Ebay is a part time side business for me.   I work full time selling in a B&M store that sells outdoor power equipment and parts.  Our State is on manadatory lockdown/shelter in place just like most states.  My line of work has been deemeed "essential" for some reason (that i don't understand)  so my store remains open with shorter hours during this crisis.

Every day this week it amazes (and angers) me how many people come in to my store just browsing and picking up non-essential items like nothing is going on.  We're in the middle of a pandemic for God's sake! The staff is all wearing masks.  Customers come in without a masks, walk right up to you and get in your face asking questions.  What happened to the 6 foot rule?  Don't these people watch the news? No common sense.  No common courtesy. These people are putting everyone at risk. 

When you're in bed sick with  the Coronavirus, you never know if you're going to need some trimmer line for your weed wacker or a spark plug for your chainsaw!

The other day a customer was talikng to me, right in my face, and piece of spit flew on me!  I was soooooooo upset!  I've since removed the chairs in froint of my desk and roped off the area 6 feet back. 

Should i be thankful to have customers and be working or be uspet at all these people coming in like nothing is happening, putting all of us at risk?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

I wonder who or what deemed the store essential?  Our hardware stores are allowed to remain open so people can get parts to fix home issues.

Is it a big chain store franchise or a mom-and-pop? 

Good idea to rope off your desk. 

It still amazes me that so many people are STILL not getting it.

You might want to get a spit face shield. 😠

Message 2 of 86
latest reply

"The other day a customer was talikng to me, right in my face, and piece of spit flew on me!  I was soooooooo upset! "

yeah, I'd also recommend wearing a face shield. Washing hands, etc. is all well and good, but from what I've heard, the airborne droplets are the main way people catch the virus.

Message 3 of 86
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

I wonder who or what deemed the store essential?  Our hardware stores are allowed to remain open so people can get parts to fix home issues.

Is it a big chain store franchise or a mom-and-pop? 

Good idea to rope off your desk. 

It still amazes me that so many people are STILL not getting it.

You might want to get a spit face shield. 😠

I believe it is the state government that determines what businesses are considered essential.  While it would seem to be logical for hospitals,  grocery stores and gas stations to be considered essential, hardware stores and veterinarians are also essential considering you may need to make emergency repairs to one's property and pets, although not necessarily susceptible to the this virus, may have other medical issues needing to be attended to.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 86
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Every day this week it amazes (and angers) me how many people come in to my store just browsing and picking up non-essential items like nothing is going on

The first, last and only time I've physically been into a grocery store since this whole thing started, a woman across from me in the produce section fondled every dang green pepper in the entire display. The only thing she didn't do was lick them.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Message 5 of 86
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Should i be thankful to have customers and be working or be uspet at all these people coming in like nothing is happening, putting all of us at risk?

IMHO you should talk to your owner about putting up big signs explaining the rules of your store, and for permission to politely ask people to leave if they are not willing to follow them. 

Message 6 of 86
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

a woman across from me in the produce section fondled every dang green pepper in the entire display.

Then ended up buying a RED pepper.  😉

Message 7 of 86
latest reply

Good idea!

alert.jpg

Message 8 of 86
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Should i be thankful to have customers and be working or be uspet at all these people coming in like nothing is happening, puttng all of us at risk?

Short answer? Both. I'm in the same position. Public facing and no, a lot just don't seem to be "getting it" at all.

Message 9 of 86
latest reply

I haven't read the replies yet, I'm supposing it will be a mixed bag.

It's good to be thankful that you have work, but if the work is putting your health at risk, then it isn't something to be thankful for. Even though your business is deemed essential (and they should have the option to close if they want, all our fast food places in Ontario are closing, even the drive thrus). You should be able to "refuse unsafe work".

My job is deemed essential too (because people who work get pay cheques, people who are out of work due to COVID-19 are going to get unemployment and government assistance, and my clients who are injured need their weekly stipend to pay their bills). I have a number of essential tasks, one of them is opening all the mail. Everyone who handles mail is concerned about coronavirus and whether or not it's lurking on our letters. I work in a team of three on Monday-Wednesday-Friday dealing with the mail. The volume has dropped since a lot of medical centers (that do non essential treatments) have closed.

The other two days a week I work from home. We have a server that's equipped to have 600 people online at once, but the company has 2500 people connecting at the same time. As you can imagine, this doesn't work. We've discovered we can't download documents between 11 and 3 eastern time because during those hours all of Canada is on the server at once. It's safer than being at work, but not any more pleasant to be working from home. I lack motivation to do things when my job is to stare at email boxes waiting for work to come in, and knowing that my idle time is being recorded when I'm not actually doing something.

C.

Message 10 of 86
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

Every day this week it amazes (and angers) me how many people come in to my store just browsing and picking up non-essential items like nothing is going on

The first, last and only time I've physically been into a grocery store since this whole thing started, a woman across from me in the produce section fondled every dang green pepper in the entire display. The only thing she didn't do was lick them.

I try not to touch the produce (and some of it is being wrapped now, like the celery, which was never wrapped before). With the peppers and other things, the produce quality right now in Ontario is really bad. Because shopping is down, things are getting old and withered more quickly than they can be sold.  Tomatoes are another bad one, but my cooking requires cherry tomatoes which come enclosed in a plastic box.

C.

Message 11 of 86
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

Doesn't everyone wash their produce before they use it anyway?

I'd think is hand washing will kill 99% of germs then veggie wash would as well. 

Message 12 of 86
latest reply

I have one here that just does not understand how extreme this is.

A senior with severe respiratory issues.

She told me she was going to the store to buy fresh asparagus, and grapes.

I asked how she planned to disinfect those things that others had been touching, and possibly coughing on.

I'm getting ready to jack the car up, and remove a wheel, or two.

Message 13 of 86
latest reply

I swear, some people are so thick I don't know how they keep themselves alive.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 86
latest reply

Yeah, well, that wasn't really the point.
Message 15 of 86
latest reply