cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT: Smash & Grab across the US where are they selling?

I live in Chicago and we've had a lot of smash and grabs.  Crews & gangs of guys smash into a store  usually a high-end like LV or Gucci and grab the high-end stuff and run out.  It's done all over California.  I have a question and I keep wondering - where are they selling the stuff?  If you grab a Birkin worth $40,000 who are you selling it to?  I know EB, AMZ and Posh are not the sites.  Are they selling it overseas?

Next question,

Why don't these stores put a gps in their high-end stuff to track the thieves?  Or tie them down on the shelves?  Is it laziness on the part of the stores?

Opinions.....thanks.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 

They are starting to implement GPS tags and also unbreakable glass units. Oh course the retailers don't want all their secrets revealed so they are keeping quiet about other measures.

I see a Home Depot just got hit with theft involving " tools of the trade", sledge hammers, screw drivers, and such. If cities and D.A. offices do not get this crime wave under control, there is going to be massive blood shed.

These are dangerous criminals who are committing felonies point blank,  no $950 misdemeanor,  no deserved reparations,  no BLM activity, just stealing and property damage and threats to communities. 

This merchandise is probably being traded for drugs on the streets. These criminals are no better than domestic terrorists IMO and something needs to be done now, our National guard comes to mind. 

Our country is a mess.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

No, not laziness. Retailers employ a number of methods to prevent shrinkage. It is estimated that theft accounts for $50 billion lost each year. Over 30% of that number is from shoplifting. Those kinds of numbers can drive even large stores out of business. Of course they use whatever means are available (and economically feasible) to offset those losses.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I imagine that stuff would sell on the streets pretty well.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 wrote:

I live in Chicago and we've had a lot of smash and grabs.  Crews & gangs of guys smash into a store  usually a high-end like LV or Gucci and grab the high-end stuff and run out.  It's done all over California.  I have a question and I keep wondering - where are they selling the stuff?  If you grab a Birkin worth $40,000 who are you selling it to?  I know EB, AMZ and Posh are not the sites.  Are they selling it overseas?

Next question,

Why don't these stores put a gps in their high-end stuff to track the thieves?  Or tie them down on the shelves?  Is it laziness on the part of the stores?

Opinions.....thanks.

The current mass smash and grab events are very organized, no doubt all the goods are handed over to the organizers as the actual in person thieves are just hired for the occasion.

Once the goods move up the chain they can be sold almost anywhere, a little more difficult if they have unique serial numbers but for your run of the mill luxury brands, eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Posh, Mercari, Offer Up, CL etc. etc. etc. etc are all viable options. They might pass through a number of hands before they appear on the market and the sellers who have them at that point can just mix them in with legitimately obtained goods. Might even be showing up on RealReal and similar sites, they may authenticate but they can't verify goods are not stolen.

And of course as you wondered, overseas is where at lot of this stuff goes.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

There are a lot of containers that go virtually unchecked to China.

Border traffic to Mexico has reopened, plus cargo south goes virtually unchecked.

I seriously doubt the top end stuff stays in the US if it is truly organized.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 

They are starting to implement GPS tags and also unbreakable glass units. Oh course the retailers don't want all their secrets revealed so they are keeping quiet about other measures.

I see a Home Depot just got hit with theft involving " tools of the trade", sledge hammers, screw drivers, and such. If cities and D.A. offices do not get this crime wave under control, there is going to be massive blood shed.

These are dangerous criminals who are committing felonies point blank,  no $950 misdemeanor,  no deserved reparations,  no BLM activity, just stealing and property damage and threats to communities. 

This merchandise is probably being traded for drugs on the streets. These criminals are no better than domestic terrorists IMO and something needs to be done now, our National guard comes to mind. 

Our country is a mess.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

And of course as you wondered, overseas is where at lot of this stuff goes.

In the past, stolen/hijacked containers often went to Russia.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply