cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's too cold today for the penguins in Pittsburgh

No no not the hockey team. The National Aviary in Pittsburgh took the penguins in from the cold today. That's cold, when a penguin can't take the cold.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2018/01/04/National-Aviary-penguins-waddle-Pittsburgh-cold-te...

I guess it's true, the Donald did cure Global Warming.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Many in the global warming crowd are saying this is just a colder than usual winter and isn't anything to do with global warming....

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

That's why they changed the name to Global Climate Change.

That way if we go into another ice age, that'd be caused by the warming trend?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Many in the global warming crowd are saying this is just a colder than usual winter and isn't anything to do with global warming....

Of course they do. 

They probably bought into AlGores Carbon Credits too. And think that he invented the internet.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

Of course they do. 

They probably bought into AlGores Carbon Credits too. And think that he invented the internet.

Do you remember the early 1970’s when they were claiming the Ice Age was coming back very soon, doom and gloom everything frozen and death for everyone.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@johnfduda wrote:

No no not the hockey team. The National Aviary in Pittsburgh took the penguins in from the cold today. That's cold, when a penguin can't take the cold.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2018/01/04/National-Aviary-penguins-waddle-Pittsburgh-cold-te...

I guess it's true, the Donald did cure Global Warming.

I sat and watched those very penguins from about 4 feet away about 3 months ago at the National Aviary. Most of them are named after players for the Pittsburgh Penguins. They have some amazing other birds at the aviary.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The last time I was at the Aviary I loved the bald eagle. Poor think had a bad wing. I happened to be there at feeding time. I went to high school across the street. The aviary was a part of the campus, during lunch we were free to visit West Park where the aviary was.

I have to admit that these are African Penguins, but they are penquins, sort of...

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@johnfduda wrote:

The last time I was at the Aviary I loved the bald eagle. Poor think had a bad wing. I happened to be there at feeding time. I went to high school across the street. The aviary was a part of the campus, during lunch we were free to visit West Park where the aviary was.

I have to admit that these are African Penguins, but they are penquins, sort of...

My wife is originally from the 'burgh and my daughter is currently doing her last clinical in a DPT program there. She will have her doctorate this summer after only 6 years. Wife went to Seton Hill and BIL is a pharmacist who graduated from Duquesne, so we have deep roots in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area. We frequent that city often for Penguins, Steeler and Pirates games. We always make a weekend of it and have been to the aviary a couple times.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Years ago I went to a Steelers game at Pitt Stadium. They also played at Forbes Field, home ofthe Pirates. I went to hockey games at the Syria Mosque  and at the Igloo as the Civic Arena was known. Those games the Hornets played who were the predecessors of the NHL Penguins. The Steelers moved to 3 Rivers Stadium.

None of those facilities exist any more.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@johnfduda wrote:

Years ago I went to a Steelers game at Pitt Stadium. They also played at Forbes Field, home ofthe Pirates. I went to hockey games at the Syria Mosque  and at the Igloo as the Civic Arena was known. Those games the Hornets played who were the predecessors of the NHL Penguins. The Steelers moved to 3 Rivers Stadium.

None of those facilities exist any more.

I saw Eddie Money and Vixen in concert at the Syria Mosque. Been to Three Rivers and the Civic arena but never Forbes Field. I saw Stargell and Clemente play together at Three Rivers.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

What species of penguin makes all the difference in the world. 

The emperor penguin breeds in the coldest environment of any bird species; air temperatures may reach −40 °C (−40 °F), and wind speeds may reach 144 km/h (89 mph). Water temperature is a frigid −1.8 °C (28.8 °F), which is much lower than the emperor penguin's average body temperature of 39 °C (102 °F).

I don't think the Donald has cured anything. I'll leave it at that.  

Whether or not you agree with climate change, the icebergs are melting at an alarming rate, sea levels are rising. 

But what's far more important for mankind's immediate future is the loss of food, ocean fish, lack of diversity in grains, meats, and super bugs immune to penicillin, and rainforest plants, loss of trees, species nearing extinction. Mankind overpopulating the planet and using up the resources for all the rest of life which we depend upon. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I noticed you used the term "climate change". Very smart. You won't be caught using the term "global warming" to excuse the deep freeze the country has been in.

That one day EVERY American state on the North American continent had freezing temperatures. Was there any part of Mexico that had freezing temps, that day? That is a question. The reality is that industrial pollution blocks out the sun which lowers the temperatures.

That's why the warmest period was just after we started keeping weather records at the beginning of the industrial revolution, and why the coldest period was after the Big War.

But DW says I shouldn't argue religion on here.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

It's funny how anyone who doesn't believe global warming is real uses the cold weather as an argument against it.  It never meant there will never be cold weather again.  It means that statistically temperatures are generally rising every year.  Across the globe.  Google arctic polar bears and check out their habitat.  It's sad and scary.  But to put it in simpler terms, right now it's 11 degrees where I live in NJ.  The weather forecast for Thursday is 61 degrees.  In January.

Would it be ok to say "global warming" then?

<edit: spelling>

Joe

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

GLOBAL WARMING! 

Happy now? 

Joe, tellmemama, is absolutely correct. Global warming does not mean that there will never be very cold temperatures again. One might consider studying up on how global warming works before passing judgment on it. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

tellmemama said

"It's funny how anyone who doesn't believe global warming is real uses the cold weather as an argument against it."

ersatz_sobriquet said

"Global warming does not mean that there will never be very cold temperatures again."

You two should get together on your arguments. My position is that with the temperatures going back to normal there will still be warm periods again. I remember it being 70 degrees in Pittsburgh back around 1960. It's normal to have unusual weather. Which in it self disproves the whole hoax. Besides, Donald is just getting started. He has another 7 years to undo past failures.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply