cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an eBay sellers' union?

eBay just deleted one of my listings because they claim it is a copyright violation to sell a a PSP-2000 with just open source emulators and homebrew on its memory stick.

I had pictures of what could be done with it, told buyers that they would have to install their own custom firmware and that there were no roms included. PSPs are pretty obsolete so I decided to explain how to use it as a very nice retro gaming machine to attract buyers.

eBay deleted my listing anyway. 

Now, not a lot of money was involved, but I am suddenly concerned. eBay is essentially a benevolent dictatorship: sellers (and buyers) have no privacy and little recourse if eBay decides it doesn't like what you're selling.

Is there any sort of union or other organization of eBay sellers? There really should be, otherwise these management corporados will walk all over people. Management is not always your friend and kowtowing is not always a good strategy.

I am seriously considering quitting eBay over this. I mean, it would have been civilized of them to have contacted me with questions and warned or asked me rather than just exert their power. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Is there an eBay sellers' union?

Every time I receive an email stating there has been a change to the ebay or PayPal user agreement, I cringe.  Those emails are never beneficial to sellers.  There is no unity in this country.  That's why the government and the corporations are in a feeding frenzy.  What we need is a tech savvy person who can design a program  that can cancel all sellers listings at once, and then re-list them twenty four hours later.  In that twenty four hour time period, each of us may lose a few bucks, but ebay will lose millions. We hold that tool over their heads, and they will get the message.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

eBay Reseller Union. Yes. I’m in
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I'm not in favor of unions but if there was ever a need for one, it's now. Ebay is extorting money from all of us sellers at an insane rate. Forcing us to use managed payments is one thing but then charging final value fee from taxes is criminal. To add insult to injury, I recently noticed my fees were usually high. Got to digging and found an extra 5% fee for high defect? Top seller, 100% feedback, 5 out of 5 rating and I'm getting a penalty? I've had three returns out of 210, two of these were postage damage that I had no control over and another was a fraud dispute I lost. Buyer asked for his money back after 6 months and they allowed it! Because my volumes are low, its hurting my metrics but I'm sure they no this since they determine those metrics. That is clear extortion.  We need Government involvement to get this marketplace fair. I've appealed those strikes but sure it wont go anywhere. I've also filed complaints with the BBB and I'm working on FTC. I know it wont do any good but if enough of us do those things, it will get some attention. I encourage everyone to do those things. Over 6000 complaints on BBB and counting. I hope they are paying attention. Like many, I loved ebay in the early days. It was fun and honest. Those days are long gone for sellers and buyers. I've started using consignment for my items recently. Actually make more money but I still like doing things myself and the community. It's clear ebay doesnt care about good, honest sellers so my goal is to close selling account by year end. I've already closed my store. 

Message 18 of 18
latest reply