cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

I was really shocked, when I started recently selling things on ebay again. Goodness! After all of the fees from ebay, I basically gave away some of the items.

When I saw how much they charged me, I was sick! Selling on ebay used to be a lot of fun, now it is disheartening, to say the least.

Message 466 of 1,161
latest reply

Yeah I agree. This is my father's account, but I'm the only one who sells stuff on here, and theres NO WAY I'm selling anything else.. I don't even use eBay to buy item's, I just use Amazon Prime for the cheap prices and free 2day shipping! Also I use Creigslist to sell item's now, for NO CHARGE!!! eBay use to be a great way to sell item's, but I calculated the price for a camera I'm selling, and eBay would charge me $85+!!! It's ridiculous!!! That's 10%!! eBay has to be one of the stupidest online marketplaces to date now. I remember when they would just charge you a couple cents to post extra pictures and maybe a tiny selling fee somewere around 1%. I agree with one user who said they were "sick of this corperate greed"! I might check out Amazon to see how selling item's on there works, but you can count on your lucky stars that I'll EVER use eBay to sell item's again! It's just not worth it!

Message 467 of 1,161
latest reply

yeah i just got off the phone with south east asian call center,  person barely spoke English.

I demanded to get a discount on the final vallue fees for 3 items was $200 

3 to 5% is standard commission rates are industry standard worldwide

Sellers have to do all the work creating auctions dealing with ... who dont want to pay and drive prices down.

Then to make it worse you finally sell at a loss on most items you sell and then eBay rakes in their cut for doing nothing.

If i was going to pay someone 10% commission to sell an item of mine,  I would **bleep** be sure they drive the price up !

Message 468 of 1,161
latest reply

I nearly fell over when I received my invoice. It’s been several months since I last sold on Ebay. I am getting ready to move and went wild with listing stuff.

In the end, with all of the time and effort that goes into 1) placing a well thought out listing, 2) packaging and 3)shipping; I’m making only a few cents on each sale.

It is most certainly not worth the grief‼! I will be taking the rest of this wonderful stuff to Goodwill and saving myself the time and energy. The tax write-off will, in the end, be worth more than the few cents I’d make after all the fees that hit my account.

Surprise: Ebay charges 10% on everything, EVEN SHIPPING

+ absurd new insertion fees

USPS inserts an additional fee after the customer has been charged for shipping

SO INSULTING

Message 469 of 1,161
latest reply

I just got my invoice for sales made in May. I had not sold much since lasy year and was shocked to get such a huge bill. I agree this is tantamount to gouging and I am not at all happy with this. Payong a 10% commission seems vasyly over-priced and makes the whole experience less profitable for me. As several have stated, we have to put a lot of effort into building the lisiting, following the responses and then packaging and shipping. I was about to list another $12K worth of items (we have to downsize) but I will revert to Kijiji and Craigslist first and to Revereb at zero to 3% commission fees.

I am a 100% feedback user with over 200 transactions over last 10 years. eBay, listen up, you are losing my business unless you offer some discounted options for items being sold at higher prices.

Message 470 of 1,161
latest reply

I know. This is absolute madness!
Ebay has become one gigantic scam. They have made so much money that they had to separate from PayPal.
I bet they can't even figure out what to do with all the money they are taking in.
I noticed my past two invoices seemed way high given what little I had been selling. I guess I should have been paying closer attention. It's hard to make any money at all on here with everything the way it is. And top that off with another 10% fee!!?? REALLY???!!!!
I literally lose money trying to sell most items on here.
Message 471 of 1,161
latest reply

I just got my invoice for the month and it's hundreds of dollars. On their fee breakdown I'm spending 85% of what I make on their fees. But unless you want to risk selling your items for pennies, you have to use a reserve and every time you do, $3. Plus if it doesn't sell and gets relisted, they hit you again. eBay is great in terms of allowing your stuff to be seen by a wide audience, but when I figure out how much I've actually made on my items, it feels like I'm being robbed. 

Message 472 of 1,161
latest reply

I love getting the emails from ebay, "How they protected my selling account" like they actually did something to gouge me for there 10%

Now that paypal is going to be a separate company, can't  wait to see there fee increase. Ebay probably just created a shell company and sold it to themselves.

Message 473 of 1,161
latest reply

Forget EBay! Never selling nor buying from them ever again. Everyone on here is right about how eBay takes over 10% from us and they don't do anything about helping us with marking up prices. No one should sell through eBay unless you want to come out on a loss like I and others have!
Message 474 of 1,161
latest reply

Wow! Just sold a phone on Ebay for $100, and got hit with an enormous $11 fee!!! ($1 on the shipping). When did that happen? I generally round up all my no longer used toys and sell them once a year or so. Not anymore! I'd do better donating them somewhere and taking the tax deduction. Hello, eBay, are you insane? You just aren't adding enough value to earn 10% of my revenue. Sheesh - even REALTORS only take 6 or 7 percent.

VERY UNLIKELY I will continue to sell on eBay unless they reset the fees to an "on this planet" range . Should be 3%.

Hmmm.... probably time to call my broker and get the heck out of my eBay stock, too.

Message 475 of 1,161
latest reply

I thought I was making a little bit of money and having fun selling....then I got a letter about final value fees...

Message 476 of 1,161
latest reply

I have gone to parcel post, 2-9 day delivery, to reduce the price of shipping, priority for a package from North Carolina to L.A. is $$$40.00!. Usps rates gone up. Ebay rates gone up. I'll have to add 'final value fee', to price of item

Message 477 of 1,161
latest reply

That's it, this is the last time I will be using Ebay, I got charged a $60 dollar invoice for selling an iphone at $260, good bye Ebay, hello Amazon

Message 478 of 1,161
latest reply

I just posted a thread about this then found this thread.

So, am I correct that eBay is now charging a flat fee of 10% on EVERYTHING in EVERY CATEGORY in EVERY FORMAT, with no reduction in percentage as the price goes up? 

Wow.

This is another reason I don't sell overseas - I pay 10% on the final value and 10% on the shipping and 3% on ALL of that to PayPal - so if the shipping cost equals the final value of the item I am paying 26% in fees to PayPal and eBay.

Message 479 of 1,161
latest reply

I'm with the rest of you guys. 10% is just too **bleep** greedy.

I'm doing Craigslist from this point on.

Message 480 of 1,161
latest reply