cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

I agree that it's not worth it for really low value items, but if you package a few of them together, you can still make a little money. 

Message 211 of 1,161
latest reply

Was just checking my account, and now Ebay is charging me a straight 10 percent on the sold item and shipping.  And I get double dipped at Paypal.  It was just less than seven percent a while back.  Guess I will just buy stuff from now on because if I am selling I feel like I am being ripped off.  

Message 212 of 1,161
latest reply

It's tough to just sell extra stuff around the house. I'm doing this for a living, and working really hard to do so, but can see how frustrating it must be for others who just want to sell extra **bleep** and then get hit with all of the fees. Visit my store, I've still got good deals 🙂 www.NameBrandThrift.com (it goes to my Ebay store)
Message 213 of 1,161
latest reply

I haven't posted anything for sale for a while. What a surprise I got. 10% fee plus Paypal fees on top of that! What a ripoff. Doing busniess this way they will go out of business eventually.

My item sold for 750.00. The Ebay fee and the PP fee were just shy of $100.00.
Someone is making a load off Ebay. I am done, I doubt I list anymore. I will just use Craigslist for free. I didn't mind their fees too bad previously but 10% on top of PP fees that is flat out stupid.

Message 214 of 1,161
latest reply

I sold something for the first time in ages... Didn't realize the fees were so high. Won't be doing it again... in fact, I cancelled my other listed item because I thought it was ridiculous. Facebook and gumtree for me.
Message 215 of 1,161
latest reply

Yikes! Ebay's fee is way too high. Stopped all my listings. 10% and paypal fees also? So not worth it. Guess I'll just stick to craigslist. Anybody know of any other sites to sell stuff? thanks. drunkenmex.

Message 216 of 1,161
latest reply

I'm with you. I was planning to list about 30 pretty (hopefully) expensive items; vintage skateboards...After seeing the new fees its just too much. I understand the visibility and all, but for collectibles, that 10% plus paypal negates the difference I may make versus just listing them on a forum. What a shame. I guess the rumors or "buzz" is true, Ebay is moving toward large volume store selling....maybe Priceline can bring back Yardsale...

Message 217 of 1,161
latest reply

Basically, eBay are scum.

10% (9.9) is an absolute joke considering how poorly eBay is setup as a tool for sellers.

In ANY other auction site, or real-life auction for that matter, does the auction end if there are still interested bidders? No. So why doesn't eBay have an auto-extend option for auctions? Because they conciously gear their website towards the buyer, not the seller. They are not interested in you getting the best price for your item, they are interested in getting the best price for the buyer. Which makes you wonder, why would anyone want to use them to sell their item?

eBay want 10% of your money, for doing a **bleep**job of selling your stuff.

After selling something recently without being aware of the fee increase, and then getting stung mightily with the fees, I can guarantee that i will never ever again sell something on eBay. 

Have a look at the New Zealand equivalent of eBay; TradeMe. Now that is how you set up an auction site. They have the option for auto-extend on your auction, the option to set a reserve price (a fundamental principle of auctioning that eBay for some reason ignores), and fees at least 50% less than what eBay charge.

Message 218 of 1,161
latest reply

paypay and ebay fees go to ebay.....ebay owns paypal so why am i being charged twice to use this system

E bay take 10% plus and E-pal takes another chunk .. with no alternative to receive a payment ... i sold 2 items for total of 1030.00 $  the fees and shipping cost me 160.00? 52.00 AND 54.00 EBAY TOOK then PAYPAL or E-PAL took 54.00 AFTER FEES WHY ARE WE BEING DOUBLE FEE CHARGED FROM SAME CO.?

yea ripoff..

i now remember why i had not sold anything on Ebay for a couple yrs ... they rob you ...AND CANT DO A FUKKKN THING ABOUT IT

THATS IT FOR ME BYE   E- **bleep**

Message 219 of 1,161
latest reply

I don't remember exactly what was the percentage of ebay + Paypal fees back in the days.  Around the year 2006 i sold alot of stuff on ebay and from the best of my memory it was nothing in compared to what they charge today!  Its ridiculous.   Yes, ebay is very good at what it does, no doubt about that.  

However I really hope someone out there with a deep pocket would come out and take them on.  That will drive the fees down.

Message 220 of 1,161
latest reply

@jab_joe wrote:

paypay and ebay fees go to ebay.....ebay owns paypal so why am i being charged twice to use this system

E bay take 10% plus and E-pal takes another chunk .. with no alternative to receive a payment

Wrong. You can use ProPay, Skrill, or your own merchant account, and you won't send a penny to PayPal. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

If you DO use PayPal, you're being charged twice because you're using two different services. Don't want to pay twice? Fine, don't use both.

Message 221 of 1,161
latest reply

@ianhuman wrote:
So why doesn't eBay have an auto-extend option for auctions?

Because auto-extend blows chunks. I've used sites that auto-extend (e.g. ubid); never again. It's a pain in the butt and a perfect environment for shill bidders. Yahoo Auctions gave sellers the option to auto-extend, and I'd be fine with eBay allowing that option. But I'd never place more than one low bid on an auction that used the feature, so they'd never see the max bid that I place under the current system. But somehow that will make more money for sellers. Right.

Message 222 of 1,161
latest reply

Profit?,, where is the profit?

Say your margin is 10-15% from wholesale to retail right?

Now you will have to advertise your goods at a cheaper price than retail at least 5.0% correct?.

Now once goods are sold, you get hit by 10% final fee+Paypal Fees+Postage and Handling fees. Correct?

Where is the profit?

I am not even counting your packing, time, fuel, etc...

I think they are forcing people to be thieves, get it free, and sell it on ebay for a profit,,, LOL.

Message 223 of 1,161
latest reply

With 15% margins, it would be tough to turn a profit. My average item costs me $1.25 and my average profit (after shipping/fees) is $10.40. It's not easy at all, but I've been able to make it work and have over 1,000 items for sale in my store. Ebay's fees are high, yes, but how else are you going to get the web traffic? My website is www.NameBrandThrift.com but I have it redirect to my Ebay store. I wish I could just sell on my own website, but advertising costs are so expensive and ineffective. 

Message 224 of 1,161
latest reply

I am in agreement!  EBay's fees are way too high!  I just started purchasing postage through them instead of USPS and now see that EBay is also charging a "Final Value Fee" on the postage amounts... Ridiculous!

After many years on Ebay... I am gong to find somewhere else to sell

Message 225 of 1,161
latest reply