cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Never bite the hand that feeds you EBAY. !!!!!!
Message 136 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree about ebay's FVF fee! It's ridiculous. I've read a lot of the comments here, but didn't find anyone mentioning that eBay is a publicly traded company. Since it is public they have pressure from shareholders to maximize profits, no matter what. Plus, the execs probably all have stock options, which gives them incentive to maximize their profits. The answer, like so many of you have said, is competition. It would have to be someone huge to take on eBay. Facebook maybe..........???
Message 137 of 1,161
latest reply

ebay is a goliath. eventually a competitor will kill it. it won't happen this year but it WILL happen. no one stays # 1 forever.

if not one of the lesser competitiors than a new start up will take them down.

the good x's will last for a while until they like ebay before them begin increasing fees & the cycle will continue.

ebay relys on stupidty. there are 100's of 1000s of sellers who don't have a clue how badly they get burned.

Message 138 of 1,161
latest reply

I haven't sold for many years. Sold a video card for $299. I was excited till I saw the fee of $30. Plus $10 Paypal Fee. Plus $15 to ship. My happy face turned to frowny face. $55 total. So about 17% off whatever you sell. How do sellers make money on here? I bet most people who sell don't realize that it's that high. Well my selling career is over as fast as it started.

Message 139 of 1,161
latest reply

Not even gonna try to explain how the above post is an epic mathematics fail.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, "This topic is lowering the IQ of the entire board." Smiley Sad

@sirwindmill wrote:

I haven't sold for many years. Sold a video card for $299. I was excited till I saw the fee of $30. Plus $10 Paypal Fee. Plus $15 to ship. My happy face turned to frowny face. $55 total. So about 17% off whatever you sell. How do sellers make money on here? I bet most people who sell don't realize that it's that high. Well my selling career is over as fast as it started.

Who twisted your arm to offer free shipping?

Message 141 of 1,161
latest reply

The fees are so high greed has ruined ebay and opened the door for new competitors I hope
Message 142 of 1,161
latest reply

Message 143 of 1,161
latest reply

sd-brightis
Thrill-Seeker
Another way to slightly I see many are shifting away from paypal, can drop that to save and except cc etc. A seperate store is ideal but then you have to learn how to build traffic.
Message 144 of 1,161
latest reply

Soon Alibaba will be starting up, and I heard their fees will be much lower.

Message 145 of 1,161
latest reply

That is how the world operates.  How to get the max amount of $ from your pocket to theirs.  First Timothy 6:10.

Message 146 of 1,161
latest reply

I'm limiting my selling on ebay now to just items requiring such wide exposure.  With commissions (ebay+PayPal) on price & shipping for what I sell running typically 15% to 26% of price, ebay is no longer competitive with special interest classifieds & consignment with dealers.  For an automated system with no useful human involvement, it must cost them a tiny fraction of what they charge.  Clearly, they need some healthy competition.  It's outrageous to charge a commission on shipping cost!

Message 147 of 1,161
latest reply

I cant believe that Ebay are now going to charge 9.9% on the item and the postage !

There reasoning is that sellers are lowering price of goods and charging higher postage. And from my return correspondence  these sellers are all bad sellers.

What a load of rubbish ! I can see postage cost and make my own mind up whether I want to bid

I, as a seller  show postage and half the time the seller picks the item up. But that means  that I am gonna be paying 9.9% of postage cost that never happened to Ebay.

This is only an advantage to Ebay and none at all for buyers or sellers

But I must be wrong as they tell me have done research on this

YEAR RIGHT

Message 148 of 1,161
latest reply

I have sold a fair amount of things on ebay through the years and just used the fee calculator on a few random items out of a pile of things I have to sell. I will not be selling a single item on ebay. The final value fee ends up being about 10% of the sale. 

when CL's is zero, its a pretty easy choice. Done selling on ebay. 

Message 149 of 1,161
latest reply

@iam-speed wrote:

I have sold a fair amount of things on ebay through the years and just used the fee calculator on a few random items out of a pile of things I have to sell. I will not be selling a single item on ebay. The final value fee ends up being about 10% of the sale. 

when CL's is zero, its a pretty easy choice. Done selling on ebay. 

The FVF is exactly 10% of the sale. And you pay PayPal too.

If you can get the same prices for your items on CL, or close to it, you'd be crazy not to sell them there. I probably wouldn't get more than 20% of my eBay prices on CL, so I sell here. It's just business.

Message 150 of 1,161
latest reply