cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocity that is eBay Customer Service - What is my alternative?

slxlohocla
Enthusiast

Been selling on eBay for 10 years.  I have 2951 all positive feedbacks on my selling name.  I have had 2 neutrals dropped on me and never a negative.  The neutrals were by new users who did not understand the feedback system.

I used to have an account manager.

This new customer service model is the WORST customer service model I have ever...EVER seen.

Recent experiences:

Called to ask about why I can't raise "buy it now" price above a certain amount without being asked to start a new listing.

Can only get OVERSEAS help.  First try they put me on hold 'cause they didn't know.  I asked for Supervisor when they didn't give adequate answer.  Was told he'd call back in 24 hours.  Took 'em 2 days.  He didn't give adequate answers.

I called back the next day to try again.  Overseas girl answered told me that since I had a starting price of $1500 I couldn't add a "buy it now" feature to my listing.  Seriously?  FAIL.  I literally had to train her on the telephone about the buy it now feature.  She admitted her error and apologized for giving me incorrect information.  She was very sweet.  I felt bad for her.

Ebay called my home number today to tell me about new promotions.  I changed that phone number in the preferences several weeks ago yet they continue to call my home.  I called customer service today to find out what I have to do to be sure they quit calling my home number.  We don't check those messages anymore and only use our cell phones.  Overseas customer support put me on hold for 38 minutes before I hung up.  This was just about changing my number in the preferences ya'll!  

I call again.  Support answers.  I ask, "what country are you in?"  Manilla.  I say, "put me through to the U.S. support."  They say they will help me.  I say no thanks.  They say ok I will connect you.  Someone answers after a few minutes.  She only tells me she is in "Asia."  I say no thanks...and hang up.

I call back again.  Girl answers.  "Where are you located," I ask her.  She says, "our policy does not allow me to tell you where I am located."  I say, "are you kidding me?"  I say, "are you being for real?"  She says, "yes, I am serious."  I laugh so hard in her ear that I can hardly contain myself.  Now, they are telling them to HIDE where they are from!  ahhahahahahhahaa

I call back again.  Guy answers.  "Where are you located," I ask him.  "Manilla," he says.  I hang up.

I give up.

So I come here.

Am I in the TWILIGHT ZONE! ????

What has happened to eBay customer support?  This is as bad as it gets.

I make eBay a LOT of money and offer the stellar service to my customers that they badly want out of a seller yet they don't offer that to me.

I would like to hear of an alternative to eBay?  Coke has Pepsi.  Chevy has Ford.

I don't see a viable alternative to eBay at the moment?  Amazon?  They don't auction do they?  I've never checked Amazon.  Ebay seems scared of Amazon so have any of you guys sold there?  After 10 years and nearly flawless feedback and customer service by me I am now seriously looking for alternatives to what eBay has become.

I will be looking into developing my own website to sell my wares but in the meantime let me know your thoughts.

Has eBay become "too big to fail?"

Thanks for your input.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

bgbmomof5_bobbie
Enthusiast

I am not new to Ebay I buy alot on here. LOL.. I have just sold my first item and it hasn't been paid for  YET!!! LOL.  Anyway.. where I live everybody FACEBOOKS and they are selling stuff on there. Of course cheaper than ebay and I am sure not in volume amount but, hey you might try it. And negative feedback is there also for your and their friends to see.

Good Luck and I hope I also do well at selling on EBAY.

Message 16 of 62
latest reply

Facebook may work fine for occassional items, but too many posts will work against you as it "spams" everyone. I have deleted several acquaintances for just that reason. Craig List works pretty well but its now filling up fast (has anyone noticed?) with more and more people turning to it as an alterantive. We are now using Craigs List (and occassionaly Facebook) to "point" to our current auctions at lesser known websites, and that is working pretty well, especially for local pickups.

Message 17 of 62
latest reply

I cannot begin to tell you the mess that I am dealing with right now with Ebay!!  I have been Ebaying for 13 years with 100%

feedback.

It is like Customer Service has lost it's mind.

Is there another place to auction that has been tested??

I am aware of Etsy, but not too sure about any more that may be a good place to buy and sell.

I cannot take the abuse and disrespect from Ebay.

I appreciate any info. that anyone can give.

Thanks so much!!

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

Here's a list that shows some alternative auction sites (and rates them) that I posted earlier. I am trying several right now. At first they were quite slow, but the rates are VERY, VERY cheap, about a quarter of what Ebay charges, so I made a decision to spend some of the savings and put it into marketing that points customers towards the auctions. Working well so far. Here's the list:

http://online-auction-sites.toptenreviews.com

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

Has anyone else here brought up this issue with their Ebay representative when they call on the phone? Just curious.

Message 20 of 62
latest reply

I feel for you. I have had a terrible time just trying to sell a single vehicle on here. Fake bidders ending my listing. Weirdos pretending they want to ask a question, and then never do. Can't imagine trying to run a store on here. This site is so complicated I find it nearly impossible to navigate to where I want. Customer service is up there with, say, ATT or the cable company.

Message 21 of 62
latest reply

Please let me know if you get your website.  Now that I am beginning to start selling, I am restricted....not only with my listings, but $$ and funds being held as well. I started about 2 years ago.....got into some issues last December with a couple of buyers.....mid October this year, funds started to be put on hold and now, I am restricted as to how much I can sell....

WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE  THINKING???????

Message 22 of 62
latest reply

Good post. Perhaps all the people just canned from BOA and Netflix are now working for and rewriting Ebay policy? Makes you wonder. This seems so different than what the founder, Pierre Omidyar, seemed to wish for in his postings way back when: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/feedback-foundersnote.html

I wonder if he ever reads these posts and follows the continuing degradation of what used to be a great concept? All he needs do is read postings from his long-term dealers, and then do a little questioning on his own.

Message 23 of 62
latest reply

"This grand hope (Ebay) depends on your active participation. Become a registered user. Use our feedback forum. Give praise where it is due; make complaints where appropriate."   Quote from Pierre Omidyar, Founder of Ebay, in 1996.

Message 24 of 62
latest reply

Bump

Message 25 of 62
latest reply

Google is about to Launch an auction site & their reason is because of the arragants of ebay , Google sees how unhappy sellers have become with ebay & figure this is their chance to cash in on ebays mentallity of being the only guy on the block.. Google will definitly take a nice chunck away from ebay.. Can't wait.. Also the way ebay forced sellers to only use paypal , they claim they left us an alternitive with our own merchant credit cards knowing that no one would do this because it costs more.. I would love to see ebay fold up.. With this overseas customer service I would also like to see the protesters that have been protesting all over the county to go & sit on ebay front door for a few weeks..Bad press is what they need.. Peace Out

Message 26 of 62
latest reply

I feel the same way, and I haven't been treated too badly at eBay. I just wish a viable alternative existed. I've checked out yardsellr, style.ly, webstore, and others, but no site is as sophisticated as eBay in its design. None has, e.g., search completed listings, picture editing, and the other perqs of eBay. I wish it weren't so because eBay really gouges on fees.

At this point, I haven't found a good eBay alternative. Like another respondent said, tell us when you find one. I'll go there willingly.

Message 27 of 62
latest reply

I have been trying Ebid.net, but don't have that much exposure unless I "feed" it from other websites such as Craigs List or Niche Forums. Has anybody had any succes with OnlineAuction or Webstore?

Message 28 of 62
latest reply

Very helpful link.  Thanks!

Message 29 of 62
latest reply

Your best alternative is to just QUIT selling on eBay like so many of us have already done. Donate all your wares to a charity or find a local flea market, trade show, or craigslist or garage sale or local want ads to sell the stuff.  Or just box it up and hide it in the closet like so many of us have already done.

Message 30 of 62
latest reply