cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do my API Calls for the day reset? is there somewhere i can see how many are left?

Sorry for the absolute basic language used here.

Im using the "Finding API" request which is set to 5000 per day, that's all good, but my question is, once these have been used up within that day when do they reset? is it 24 hours after the last successful call or is it a set time every day as in 00:00 that evening going into the next day? ( based in the UK )

Ive looked and looked and cant find anything related to when the API is reset back so i can go again, any ways of tracking this and how many i have made and how many are left?  ( other than knowing how many calls i have made per day myself within my code )  I thought there would be a section within my developer profile that would tell me where I'm at.

Again, sorry for the basic language used here, its all new to me but having fun and getting results with it all, just want to know the reset time every day. TIA

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: When do my API Calls for the day reset? is there somewhere i can see how many are left?

@kaermorhenlibrary 

The Analytics API call to getRateLimits will return the time stamp indicating when the limit will reset. As we can see from the examples, such as 07:09, it is not necessarily 00:00.  The start of the time limit is more likely triggered by an initial call that has started in the clear (not already within a countdown). It is hard to tell from the language whether the countdown continues, even through cycles of no calls, or whether it starts over after a lengthy break in activity.

https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/developer/analytics/resources/rate_limit/methods/getRateLimits

Quoted below:

rateLimits.resources.rates.reset

The data and time the time window and accumulated calls for this resource reset.

When the reset time is reached, the remaining value is reset to the value of limit, and this reset value is reset to the current time plus the number of seconds defined by the timeWindow value.

The time stamp is formatted as an ISO 8601 string, which is based on the 24-hour Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) clock.

Format: [YYYY]-[MM]-[DD]T[hh]:[mm]:[ss].[sss]Z
Example: 2018-08-04T07:09:00.000Z

Occurrence: Conditional

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: When do my API Calls for the day reset? is there somewhere i can see how many are left?

By the way, the "Finding API" is one that is not returned in the getRateLimits call.  I do not know of any eBay resource that will return the number remaining in the Finding API. I simply put a counter on my calls to that resource to keep track.

Are you encountering a rate limit? In the past, the Finding limit was not a hard stop. Developers could make calls beyond the published limit. However, that could have changed when eBay performed some serious house cleaning a couple of years ago.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Like shipscript, I'm not aware of any eBay resource that displays number of calls used/remaining for Finding API calls. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, nor has it ever.

I think eBay does indeed enforce hard limits on Finding API calls these days. I haven't tested that myself, but various devs here have reported suddenly running into limits.

As for the daily quota reset, it's always been midnight US Pacific Time, but IDK if that has changed recently.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the answers, no not hitting the rate limit, just sometimes i run the code in the mornings at different times and sometimes i don't get any results if its a bit earlier than the day before, which made me think the limit reset is timed from the first call the day previous - sometimes i run the code a bit earlier than the previous day and that's where i hit an issue it seems.

I've added code to count the successful calls now so i can see what's occurring but sometimes it seems completely random.

would be handy if the API was reset at mid-night everyday regardless of what time i ran my code. 

thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply