cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Clock Information

I am after any information regarding this clock. I have tried researching without success. Any idea in terms of when/where/by whom it was made?

Thanking you in advance.

7560C220-FBD8-4EEF-A2DC-1B7F8251925E.jpeg

E4370757-9572-4E72-98B7-D9B79EDBF7A9.jpeg

4E8DF807-0188-4D4A-A8A0-06CC7D530EA2.jpeg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Seeking Clock Information

@nellyiamheathcliff 

Hi, I am sorry for keep answering your questions. 

Aiguilles( meaning needle) is French and all 19th century Brass clock makers write that on back of their cases. Your clock is missing its adjustment needle. That makes me wonder about the movement. Is there a name or emblem on bottom side? 

Thanks, 

Kia

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Don’t apologise. I appreciate you responding. 

There is no name or emblem anywhere that I can find. It’s just the inscription shown in the picture. 

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Neoclassical maiden standing sideways pointing at time. Ornamental flowers and birds surrounded mantel clock. It all looks like French Art Nouveau clock works.

We need to take a look at the movement. There is a good indication that movement has been replaced since there is no needle on the balance wheel.  

However, first test is to find out what is it made of? Do you know how to figure out the subject metals by their specific gravity? That's what I am going to try to do. I need exact measurements of the piece and its weight. We need to make sure it's made of metal. Then we test for different metals.

Clock needs to be either Spelter or Bronze to be French made of value. Spelter clocks are much less expensive than Bronze clocks for obvious reason. We are talking about few hundreds Vs. few thousands. To test for Spelter, you need to scratch the base. Or see if it has been scratched before. Bronze is solid; Spelter will show a silvery scratch area

Message 4 of 4
latest reply