eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

afantiques
Community Member

Re: How to synchronize my cuckoo clock

in reply to a_c_green

What I'd call 'traditional' antique cuckoo clocks, the minute hand is on a square, and you set up the position of the minute hand when the strike is triggered by adjusting the motion work, before removing the hand and re-attching the dial, replaceing the minute hand in the position you set it in..

The good thing about this is that although you can have a hand a quarter of an hour out if it has been removed and re-attached wrongly, you cannot have it a few minutes off without messing with the under dial motion work.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kenknox

kenknox wrote:

I,m betting you have the plastic hands that have a round hole and fit on a brass bushing.   What you need to do is loosen up the hand nut and reposition the minute hand until its in the correct position then retighten the nut. It might take a few times to get it right. 

I was having similar thoughts regarding the clock that strikes 10 when the indicated time is 9:30, but if it's a modern clock with an I-type hand mounting, then the most likely explanation is that someone simply attached the minute hand upside-down (i.e. 180° out of position; its slotted mounting will allow either the correct direction or the opposite, wrong direction), then adjusted the friction-fit hour hand to suit.

Once it strikes the hour, with the minute hand presumably pointing down instead of up, I would unscrew the knurled nut, lift off the minute hand, gently nudge the hour hand to point directly at whichever hour was struck, then reattach the minute hand (pointing up this time), secure the nut, and you're done.

Please use plain text.
kenknox
Community Member

in reply to captainbobpendry

I,m betting you have the plastic hands that have a round hole and fit on a brass bushing.   What you need to do is loosen up the hand nut and reposition the minute hand until its in the correct position then retighten the nut. It might take a few times to get it right.

Ken

Please use plain text.
captainbobpendry
Community Member

in reply to afantiques

I have a couple of old cuckoo clocks where they strike the hour and half hour when the minute hand is a few minutes past or before the correct position. It is as if the whole movement is crooked in the case. Is there any easy way to tweak the striking position so the minute hand is right on the hour or half hour?

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to afantiques

Please note the above advice applies to vintage and antique countwheel strike clocks only, modern stuff may well have a rack strike movement.

A glance in the back will show a big notched wheel on almost any countwheel strike clock

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to jacks61fd

A better and simpler way to correct the clock if it has missed a strike and is a half hour behind is to move the minute gently toward the next half or whole hour till it clicks, (usually about 3 minutes before the mark).

This puts the movement on what is called 'warning'  to stike.

Now move the hand gently back again to about the quarter position and it will strike. You have fooled the  little lever that was lifted to set the strike train on warning into thinking the clock has moved past the hour (or half hour). The strike will now be synchronised.

If it was a few hours out, repeat the process several times till correct.

Cuckoo clocks have what is called a countwheel strike, which gives an inflexible strke sequence.

It is generally said you should never move hands backwards, and as a rule this is a good one, but in this case, it is harmless. Damage can be caused by moving the hands of some types of striking clock backwards through a strike position, but rules become complicated if you start to list all the  exceptions to them.

You can always move the hands of non striking clocks backwards.

Please use plain text.
jacks61fd
Community Member

in reply to soda*babe

Similar fix as stated above - turn the minute hand and bring it to the hour ( your clock will now strike just once as it has been doing) now bring the minute hand to the half hour ( your clock will start to strike an hour sequence) Now as you approach the half hour do not stop and let it strike continue moving the minute hand up to the hour. Move hands through another cycle letting it strike the half hour and the next hour. Count the number of strikes at the hour. Remove hands as described above and move them to sync to the correct hour. The hour hand may be just friction fit and could be rotated to the correct hour, if it is friction fit  you can move it forward or backward.

Please use plain text.
soda*babe
Community Member

in reply to capri142

Hi,

i had the same problems , but now my cuckoo coos out of sync, say its 10 o clock  it coos once and at 9.30 it coos ten

please help and so on

many thanks lizzie

Please use plain text.
jetscreameryouareadreamer
Community Member

How to synchronize my cuckoo clock

in reply to jetscreameryouareadreamer
Hi Capri,
I have followed your advice and the clock is working fine!!
"They are imprudent: for they dash at their objectives without giving much heed to the risk of new abuses worse than the evils they hope to sweep away."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks Capri

I am bad to like to tinker with things. I have been known to fix things or to make them worse.
It is good to have help.
"They are imprudent: for they dash at their objectives without giving much heed to the risk of new abuses worse than the evils they hope to sweep away."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Yes, a loose thumb screw can allow the hour hand to rotate on its shaft. Then it would be unsychronized to the coo coo numbers. Just tightening it will not fix that problem but it will keep the hands from slipping. Your clock probably will not self correct but just follow the instructions I posted and you will be fine.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you!!

That is great advice and I will give it a try. The hour hand is really loose. I did not mess with it, but I think the clock took a little beating before it made it's way to me.
Will that correct itself? I understand it moves on friction, but it has dropped a time or two. If I tighten that screw, will it help the hour hand get a better grip?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Usually they are already synchronized. If someone messes with them it can be undone. Let it run for a day and see if it straightens itself out.
If it doesn't here's what to do. Let the clock run. When it coo coos the hour, stop the pendulum. Usually the hands are held on by a brass thumb screw. Unscrew the thumb screw and remove the hands and put them back on to the time that the clock just coo cooed. Then tighten the thumb screw and you're done.
Here's how a coo coo clock can get screwed up. When you set the time, let it coo coo the hour and half hour before moving to the next hour. For example, if it's 10 o'clock now and the clock is at 7:45 move the hands to 8 o'clock and let it count 8. Then to 8:30 and coo coo once. Then to 9 o'clock and let it count 9 and so on till it's the right time. Sometimes people will just spin the hands without letting the clock coo coo the in between hours. That can unsynchronize some clocks.
Just in case you don't know how to get a coo coo clock to keep good time, here's how to do that. The pendulum has a moveable weight attached to it. That's the timing adjuster. If your coo coo clock is running fast, slide the weight down on the pendulum a little bit. That will slow the clock down. If it's running slow, slide the weight up on the pendulum a little bit. That will speed the clock up. Keep adjusting until it keeps good time. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have a new clock with no instructions...I have everything going right except that the time and the number of cuckoos is not correct.
What I've read, says that the clock will synchronize itself, but mine certainly has not done that.
Can someone tell me how to do it, or where I can find that info?
Thanks!
Please use plain text.