cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eastern Isles Infant Dress from the 1930's

I am trying to find out any information about the Eastern Isles (Importing Co) which operated in the 1920's and 1930's.  I have a vintage infact cotton dress with slip - white batiste and fagoting and embroidery.  Trying to find some history on this defunct (1946) company

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

there is a "case" at the link below where Eastern Isles wanted to add a new line (I think this is what is going on didn't read the whole thing) and they are being sued - you might find some books in the library (which surely would be on line also) about that Eastern Isles and maybe some old sales magazines - if the link below doesn't work look up ------- SUSSBERG & FEINBERG, INC. v. THE EASTERN ISLES, INC. - seems to me once a company has been sued (for whatever reason) you tend to find out more about them because they "made the news" so to speak

http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/thetmr42&div=52&id=&page=

nufces09 - Mary
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Likely way more than you wanted to know, but...

-- The earliest reference I found to the Eastern Isles Importing Company is a 1917 ad in THIS Corset and Underwear Review.

-- The 1920 Underwear & Hosiery Review, Vol. 3 reported the trademark grant(s) for "Eastern Isles" and noted that they sell women's and children's underwear

-- The 1922 Export Trade Directory recorded: "Eastern Isles Importing Co., 366 Fifth Avenue, New York; Established 1918...Fresident Frank V. Gill; Secretary & treasurer, J.G. Berman; Own House: The Eastern Isles Importing Co., Manila; Exports: Cotton materials; Imports: Embroidered lingerie, embroideries, ladies' undergarments" 

-- I then found a 1929 Help Wanted ad that stated: "SALESMAN--Infants and Children's Wear; Prominent maker of hand-made Phillipine, Porto Rican, and Japanese infant's wear, children's dresses, misses and children's underwear, desires a representative for New York State west of Schnectady...The Eastern Isles Importing Co., 79 Madison Ave., New York City."

-- In 1930 "Eastern Isles Importing Co., apparel--J.S. Weinberger, 51 Chambers St." was reported as a new incorporation

-- A 1930 divorce notice said about the divorced wife: "The former Mrs. Campbell, after studying art obtained a position as designer and style consultant with Eastern Isles Importing Company of New York."

-- In 1938 The Eastern Isles Inport Co. suffered a "considerable" fire

-- In 1939 the "Eastern Isles Importing Company, of 16 East Thirty-fourth Street, New York, entered into a stipulation with the Federal Trade Commission to refrain from describing as 'satin' materials not exclusively made of pure silk."

-- A 1941 article noted that: "The underwear showroom of the Eastern Isles Importing Company has been moved to 1350 Broadway to be consolidated with the company's infants' wear showroom."

-- The Trademarkia image HERE states that in 1946 "a US federal trademark registration was filed for Eastern Isles by Eastern Isles Importing Co. Inc." (and that the trademark expired in 1987)

-- A 1947 obituary for S. Davis Winship notes that he was "proprietor of the Eastern Isles Importing Company, now defunct..."

-- In 1956 J. George Berman was the president of The Eastern Isles Inc. (note that he used to be treasurer and secretary of the company)

-- A 1959 obit for Mitchel Schneider, president of Mitchel Schneider Company, Inc., manufacturers of lingerie, noted that "he was also president of two subsidiaries of his own company, the Micheline Company, and the Eastern Isles Company."

-- In 1964 and 1968 The Eastern Isles, Inc. filed for either a patent or a trademark

-- In 1979 The Eastern Isles Manufacturing Corporation, 99 Madison Ave, NY declared bankruptcy

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much for the detailed info. One of the owners, S. Davis Winship was working and managing a factory that imported garments from the Philippines when the Japanese Imperial Forces came (WWII) and he was put in detainment camp until he was liberated by the Americans.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

My parents met while working at Eastern Isles in NYC (a ladies lingerie company) circa 1937. I am interested in any information regarding Eastern Isles. I found this site to be wonderful. Thank you for commenting!

~Rainey R

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have an infant dress circa 1939 that has a tag eastern isles.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply