eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Vintage Clothing & Accessories

Seems very vintage. I just can't make out what it says. 

Notice the swords crossing if that helps

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1599887/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Vintage Clothing & Accessories discussion

I am hoping my recent experience can help others. I just purchased what was advertised as a Ceil Chapman, and when it was ill-fitting, I decided to look into the dress further. Upon close examination, the Ceil Chapman label had been removed from somewhere else, because I can see the stitching on the top of it, but no stitching in the dress where it would have originally been attached, and was tacked on with a thread. The first thing to remember in vintage designer and couture items is that the label is most generally sewn inside one of the side seams and not tacked on with a few threads. You should look for signs of previous stitching. Secondly, I was told that the cleaners had removed and repositioned the tag, and most if not all cleaners would not do this, because this totally compromises the integrity and provenance of the garment. Thirdly, this dress has a union label in it and Vintage Fashion Guild is an extremely valuable resource in dating garments by documenting when union labels were used. This particular union label dates this dress from 1963-1974, which definitely was past Ceil Chapman's time unless she designed with Samuel Winston. (and used a totally different label then). Also another clue for authenticating things is that this dress has a size 9 label in it, and Ceil Chapman did not mass produce things in several sizes like you see in a department store in many sizes. That is another clue it is a fake. yet another clue is that this seller is selling another Ceil Chapman that also has a "made in Hong Kong" label and Ceil would never have made her dresses in Hong Kong, Knockoffs maybe, but not original Ceil. Museum people and experts I've talked to just cringe at hearing this. 

Be ultra careful what you say in your communication with the seller if you are disappointed in something, because the fact that I originally commented on the size (which was the whole reason, along with the fabric, design and label clues that I mentioned that caused me to question it) enabled the seller to call in before I was eligible to escalate it and talked ebay into closing out and refusing my refund request. Ebay refuses to honor the protection program, even though they said they agree with my proof that it is a fake, because I mentioned size. 

It is my hope that my experience can help others from becoming duped and scammed like I was. 

Vintage Clothing & Accessories discussion

New Message
Subject Author Kudos Replies Latest Post
This is a topic with new unread messages 1 3
This is a topic with new unread messages 0 3
This is a popular topic with new unread messages 10 11
This is a topic with new unread messages 0 0
This is a topic with new unread messages 1 8
This is a topic with new unread messages 0 1
This is a topic with new unread messages 0 5