cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Token "NO QUARTER" Naval Ships engaged in battle, does anyone recognize this token?

I found this at a local estate sale and haven't been able to figure out where it came from. It is a little larger than a quarter and has the same design on both sides.  Any ideas of what/where it came from would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

noquarter2.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Token "NO QUARTER" Naval Ships engaged in battle, does anyone recognize this token?

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender) of a vanquished opponent.

It's a modern token.....don't know where issued ?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Re: Token "NO QUARTER" Naval Ships engaged in battle, does anyone recognize this token?

Might be from Ocracoke Island in North Carolina.  It is a Pirate themed tourist destination because it was Blackbeard's hideout and where he died, taking on two Royal Navy ships.  He was able to disable both ships, but died in hand to hand combat when he and his crew boarded the second ship and there was a hidden below deck a force nearly triple the size of Blackbeard's men and the pirates were overpowered by the large force and Blackbeard was killed in fierce combat being stabbed and slashed 20 times and shot five times.

As he engaged the Royal Navy ships, legend has it that Blackbeard said: "May hell seize my soul if I give you quarter or take any from you."  The navy officer responded: "I expect no quarter from you, nor shall I give any."

Just a guess...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

That could be, so far it is the best idea anyone has come up with.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply