cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1943 copper wheat penny

I think i have 1943 copper wheat penny anyone have any info on determining what i have?
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: 1943 copper wheat penny

I have a droid and I can hold it up and then zoom in and get a picture in focus. I can actually even get coin errors with it as well. Don't know what kind of phone you have but if you hold it back and then zoom in it might help?
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Any better?
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

It looks like a 43, but still hard to see
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I agree altho when u zoom in until its distorted it gets questionable to me lol... Without that date being certain there is no other way to identify the coin?
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

If you have it in your hands it should be seeable with a loop or magnification of some sort. Is there something you think is special about this coin, or do you just have to know? I'm not sure what it is your after? As a typical 1943 cent they can be had in MS for a couple of bucks?
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Well im out to get a magnifying glass shortly... From what i understand a 1943 solid copper lincoln wheat back coin can be valuable verses an 43 steel copper platted coin. I could be wrong im no expert infact thats why im here with all these questions... I was thinking a group of collectors would be able to point me in the right direction of someone whom might specialize in these type coins. I guess theres no answers until i get it in the hands of an authenticator.
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Do you have a scale? If so weigh the coin (I'd say it is a 43). A 43 steel should weigh 2.70 grams and a typical wheat cent will weigh 3.11 grams (these weights will vary due to wear but shouldn't change much at all. You could have a 43 copper but it would be hard to believe. There have been so many people looking for them that it would be hard to believe that their would be one laying around (not saying there isn't). I would think that is why it is scratched over the date, someone probably already had it checked. I'm not telling you not to have it checked.
I have found in my brief time of collecting (10+ years) that 99 times out of 100 if you have something that is worth a bundle and ask a dealer (no matter who it is) they will tell you whatever it is that helps them. My collection runs over $100.000.00 and even the dealers I trust I DONT TRUST. I took a 1961 proof franklin error FS-50-1961-801 [013] ( look it up if your interested). I was offered $30.00 for it, when explained what it was (and they knew) said it didn't matter they get them in all the time and their not worth anymore then offered (there only been 69 found to date) . I sent it to NGC and it has been graded at a PR66+ and I am having it conserved and it should come back (I hope ) a PR67. If it does after looking at harritage auction archives the last 67 sold for a fair amount more then $30.00. All I am saying is if you have something be sure then send it in (if the overall cost is less and your return if sold. Don't ever trust someone just because they are a dealer and have been nice to you. Good luck
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Yea i had scales but no glass just yet
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Thank you very much for your time and your knowlege. This coin i found my mother had it stashed for the last 15 years so she said lol either marked for fakeing or damaged intentionaly put of despite. However u have been a help i enjoy learning new things and havent left google since i got it yesterday lol. Its not my luck for a penny worth thousands but i guess theres always that chance and im eager to know the truth honestly.. Again thanks for everything.
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

No problem. Don't think you can't find something that is how I got my franklin. It was in a proof set. I would suggest getting the cherry pickers guide (there are 2 one for 1/2 cent up to 1/2 dime and 1 for everything else). It will show you what to look for in error coins. Some are easy to find and are worth a bit and some are worth a butt load and just because it isn't in the books doesn't mean it isn't a good one. Good luck and HAVE FUN that's what its all about!
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Yes sir.. Im finding the history of the search for the coins is intrigueing.. Very much a treasure hunt for the lost but not forgotten. Thanks again
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Let me help you a little bit more....

1943-genuine-altered.jpg

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I assume u r saying that the 3 is not genuine... The coin in comparison there is obviously a steele stamped date compared to a copper date stamp which is much softer. Your picture the number one itself is not on the same angle in both pics. Doesnt appear to be off as bad as the 3 looks i agree. My question is what number was it altered from and still be solid copper.. Obviously that 3 is way to close to the 4 to be an altered 8???
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I think the two photos are at very close to the same angle (see below).

Also the 9 in the date of your coin appears to be closed - but it may just be the photography.  I don't know what date they altered this from, but they did not make the three correctly, so it can not be a genuine mint product.

You can buy 1943 copper cents for $1.40 each with FREE SHIPPING from China (note: I do not recommend that).  They currently have 975 available.

1943-genuine-altered2.jpg

Send it off to PCGS or NGC, and it it comes back as genuine, post back here.  If it comes back as not genuine, I'll give you $1 for it to add to my collection of not genuine errors.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply